U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 06:41 PM

3,281 posts, read 1,303,567 times

Advertisements

I like:
Rudy's BBQ
BJ's
Saltgrass Steakhouse
Grand Lux Cafe (Domain)
Mimi's Bistro & Bakery

Name some places I should try
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 06:51 PM

6,561 posts, read 11,874,647 times
Those are all chains, you might as well add chilis, cheesecake factory, and olive garden.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:10 PM

898 posts, read 948,331 times
Honestly the food scene here isn’t the greatest when you come from big cities like a lot of us have.

We eat a lot of the same stuff spread out... like you a lot of our favorite places to eat given the choices are indeed chain places. We’ve done the whole going up and done the city- getting friends who’ve lived here their whole lives recommendations and what not but you just can’t make a horse fly. I think there’s some solid options but nothing that’s going to blow the doors off.

As far as the chain places we like..

Chuys (obviously)
Lupe tortilla
Andiamo
Mandela’s (bruschetta and gelato only really)
Modern kitchen in cedar park has a solid steak hibachi for the price
Guy tanos in Leander has some solid Italian food
Brooklyn pie is ok for a slice of pizza over on Louis henna.. again nothing amazing but it does the job for a cheap lunch
Casa Garcia’s in round rock has a good enchilada plate
Pint house in round has a cool atmosphere.. foods ok
We also think the grand lux is decent as is north Italia

Just depends on what your personally Into and what your taste buds have been exposed to previously lol.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:50 PM

8,707 posts, read 8,759,345 times
The Pint House pizza we had was pretty dry.

Nobody does chicken fajitas better than Chuy’s. Don’t care if it is a chain, it is an Austin original. Don’t like their enchilada plates though.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:08 PM

6,561 posts, read 11,874,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post
Honestly the food scene here isn’t the greatest when you come from big cities like a lot of us have.

We eat a lot of the same stuff spread out... like you a lot of our favorite places to eat given the choices are indeed chain places. We’ve done the whole going up and done the city- getting friends who’ve lived here their whole lives recommendations and what not but you just can’t make a horse fly. I think there’s some solid options but nothing that’s going to blow the doors off.

As far as the chain places we like..

Chuys (obviously)
Lupe tortilla
Andiamo
Mandela’s (bruschetta and gelato only really)
Modern kitchen in cedar park has a solid steak hibachi for the price
Guy tanos in Leander has some solid Italian food
Brooklyn pie is ok for a slice of pizza over on Louis henna.. again nothing amazing but it does the job for a cheap lunch
Casa Garcia’s in round rock has a good enchilada plate
Pint house in round has a cool atmosphere.. foods ok
We also think the grand lux is decent as is north Italia

Just depends on what your personally Into and what your taste buds have been exposed to previously lol.
austin has very solid restaurants. A lot of the new restaurants are very inventive with very delicate flavors.

The places above are essentially 2*, austin has a lot of great 3* and no 4*. But our 3* are very competitive with other cities.

Just a few of my favorites (Im sure Im forgetting some)

barley swine/odd duck
josephine house
uchiko/uchi
kome
otoko
kemuri tatsuya
peached tortilla
foreign and domestic
dai due
wink
olamaie
suerte
Justines
lenoir
south congress cafe

Old 07-30-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Those are all chains, you might as well add chilis, cheesecake factory, and olive garden.
Yes true but asside from Mimi's we had none of those in Atlanta.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:17 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,938,610 times
Fonda San Miguel is still one of my favorites.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:41 PM

6,593 posts, read 9,073,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Tried to rep you. I had the same reaction and literally rolled my eyes and sighed when I read his responses.

One of my favorite threads in the San Antonio forum is the New, Opening/Closing Restaurant threads. I think there's a "last place I ate" thread but it's died. I don't know if we would support a thread like that here.

My favorite restaurant is Picnik on Burney near 45th. It's my favorite place to go when I'm eating clean and want to indulge a bit.

I love me some Amaya's in South Park Meadows and Tyson's Tacos on Airport as well (although I choose to ignore the comments the owner has made in the past, the tacos are so good).

Old 07-30-2019, 11:28 PM

1,770 posts, read 3,234,041 times
Hyde Park Bar and Grill on Duval. Not a restaurant exactly, but Upper Crust Bakery on Burnet Rd has excellent baked goods that have more than just sugar for flavoring, and they have good lunch combos. I like Via 313 on Guadalupe. Every once in a while, Dirty’s for a greasy hamburger. For healthier fare, I like Mother’s Cafe on Duval. Too bad El Patio is closing. It was one of my favorites for years. Those nachos and a salad plate. Queso, if it didn’t come with your meal. Uncle Nicky’s on Duval St. is pretty good for a sandwich.

Last edited by capcat; 07-30-2019 at 11:44 PM..

Old 07-30-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Tried to rep you. I had the same reaction and literally rolled my eyes and sighed when I read his responses.

One of my favorite threads in the San Antonio forum is the New, Opening/Closing Restaurant threads. I think there's a "last place I ate" thread but it's died. I don't know if we would support a thread like that here.

My favorite restaurant is Picnik on Burney near 45th. It's my favorite place to go when I'm eating clean and want to indulge a bit.

I love me some Amaya's in South Park Meadows and Tyson's Tacos on Airport as well (although I choose to ignore the comments the owner has made in the past, the tacos are so good).
Yeah but once again, those restaurants, aside from Mimi's were not in Atlanta so I never experienced them before moving here. Chili's, Olive Garden and Cheesecake Factory are nationwide, the restaurants I mentioned are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or