U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:12 PM

107 posts, read 231,952 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever noticed...some people like to gripe?? Move where the heck you want to move and I wouldn't listen to anyone that is negative about everything in life, they are probably an unhappy person anyways. If you like Sun City and the area, move to Sun City. I personally like it! There are people in Sun City that are both Democrat and Republican. I am married to someone that I cancel his vote every time we vote, but we are able to live together and be married 26 years so it is possible for people with different political opinions to agree to disagree. DO I think Sun City is HEAVEN, no...? But, I do like it. I like the rules because the property values tend to stay high because people have accountability. We don’t have a STATE income tax so yes our TAXES are higher. You will have to pay taxes somehow; Uncle Sam makes sure of that. To the constant complainers....Try to work on inner happiness so you won't sound so bitter, it isn’t good for the soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:18 PM

Oh and one more thing... There are many subdivisons that do not allow garage sales. Who said it is a "hick" thing? I don't think that's the reason. I am pretty sure they have other reasons in communities for not allowing it. Such as the crime factor or traffic... Remember, the people that make the rules in the community are PEOPLE that LIVE in the community. If you do not like something, run for the board and make changes.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:29 PM

189 posts, read 621,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly katsus View Post
Oh and one more thing... There are many subdivisons that do not allow garage sales. Who said it is a "hick" thing? I don't think that's the reason. I am pretty sure they have other reasons in communities for not allowing it. Such as the crime factor or traffic... Remember, the people that make the rules in the community are PEOPLE that LIVE in the community. If you do not like something, run for the board and make changes.
You're exactly right that the people who make the rules live in that community, but they make the rules for everybody else -- there's no democracy there at all.

I'm not a complainer, and I am a very happy person (since leaving TX), but I have a darn good memory, and I don't like the injustice of high property taxes or fellow neighbors telling me what I can or cannot do with my own home. If you like that type thing, fine. My misery ended on that glorious day in September of 2000 when I watched TX and all its nonsense disappear in my rearview mirror.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:24 AM

I just want to share my opinion about Sun City and Texas that needs to be made clear. Texas does not have State Income Taxes so the taxes you pay are for property taxes. The money is used for local government and mostly for public education. I do not mind paying the taxes here they are much lower than where I lived previously in Texas. The property tax rate for 2009/10 is $0.35622 per $100 valuation. The combined tax rate for county, city and school is 2.1145. In September 2004, voters in Georgetown approved an initiative that freezes the property taxes for homeowners over 65 or disabled and mirrors the State of Texas Constitutional Amendment, Proposition 13, which passed overwhelmingly, statewide in 2003. "Prop 13" gives local governments the option of "freezing" taxes for the elderly and disabled. Which is a good thing since most elderly and disabled have a limited income. This program, which "freezes" approximately 27% of the Georgetown property tax revenue due to a large amount of retirees living in Georgetown, will probably impact future property tax rates. I am proud to be a Texan and happy that the state does allow the elderly not to be taxed at the same level as someone that is working and brining in an income. I have about 15 years before I can reap the benefits of that tax break, and it will probably change by then, but I know many people that need to benefit from it. Everyone that thinks about moving should weigh all the benefits of where they are planning to live before signing on.

As far as HOA's the benefits outweigh the negatives by far. There are rules that sometimes seem unrealistic, but they are made for everyone to maintain the community. Which if you feel strongly about something, you can get involved and get them changed. There are rules in everything in life, so that's nothing new. Who would want to live in a lawless community? Not me! If you have lived in an area where there were not any rules and the residents had 12 pets in one home, a trailer parked in their front yard, a car that didn't work and on cinder blocks in the drive way and a sofa on the front porch, then I would think you might be glad you live in an area that has an HOA, if that doesn't bother you, then GREAT. I personally do not mind the rules as long as they are not unreasonable, and if any time I feel I cannot agree. Then I make sure to get involved and change it.

One example of this is regarding the Transfer fees in Sun City. Many subdivisions have absorbent transfer fees when you move into a neighborhood. I understand they range from 100 to over 1000 dollars. Well, in Sun City the community rallied together and made sure that these fees did not get changed from 300 to 600. So, change can be made if there is an effort made.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Last edited by kelly katsus; 09-27-2009 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 12:32 PM

I come in the back way to Sun City off 195. It is shorter for me and I do not like all the lights on Williams Drive. There will be another entrance into Sun City at the far end of Williams Drive I have heard after construction is more complete.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 6,133 times
I live--literally---next to Sun City, TX in Georgetown. We are considering moving there, but we too, are concerned about the rule restrictions. The good news is that your adult children can live with you if they are over 19. That was a huge concern of ours, since we had our kids so late, and wanted to make sure they could move back in with us if necessary. This, by the way, is NOT true of all Sun City developments!!

As for the traffic concerns posted earlier, there is now a four lane road from I35 to Sun City, and it's bee-you-tiful. It makes the trip to the highway so easy and quick. Yes, there are businesses moving in to Williams Drive, but supportive ones (including a few new assisted care facilities, which I think will be welcome to Sun City-ers, as well as a Walgreen's next door. Sun City is HUGE and beautiful, with many green spaces and trees, so I personally wouldn't worry about development outside of it.

Georgetown itself is a great town for seniors... there are hundreds and hundreds of volunteer opportunities. Southwestern University is in town (a nationally, highly ranked small private university) so there are great lectures, theater, music.. and Football is coming to SU by Fall of 2013. Senior University is there, too. Austin is 40 minutes away, but the traffic is horrific.

I think one-third of G'town is senior, so businesses really cater to them. Crime is very low, the parks and bike/hike trails are fabulous. Plenty of sun here, but it is dang hot in the summer, which can last 7 months. Last year (2011), we had 100 days of 100 degree plus weather. That, however, was an anomaly. This year, as of Aug. 8th, temps have been much more reasonable. 90's mostly.

As for politics... Sigh. I'm a Jewish liberal Democrat, raised in California. I'm probably the only one in Georgetown, and I feel very much alone in that respect. Texas is the buckle of the Bible belt, and Williamson County (where I live), is one of the most conservative counties in Texas, with a church on every corner. I know that I am considered a "Yankee" devil by some, and kids at my son's school have told him that he's going to Hell. I won't dare put an Obama sign on my lawn, and historically, Williamson county was a KKK stomping ground. If someone had told me that, I never would have moved here. HOWEVER! Sun City is mostly migrants from the upper Midwest, and they've brought their Upper mid-western values and ideals. There are democrats and Jews. There are folks who've lived in big cities and appreciate diversity. Still, very few people of color seem to live there.

So, why would WE consider moving to Sun City? My kids love Texas and my husband is looking for an active social circle..something you don't get in your average gated community. At least, not to the degree that it exists in Sun City.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,055,224 times
My parents friends have a condo in downtown Austin and LOVE it. They keep on saying its the best thing they've ever done, and they are both 75. I would be interested if there are any lib democrats at sun city. Georgetown ad a whole is kind of conservative, is it not?

Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,849 times
I have visited Sun City on my own about a dozen times, looking to retire there in 6 years or less. It is not for everyone, so don't buy unless you want all that goes with it. I have played all 3 golf courses and have met a lot of nice people. Their amenity centers are second to none. I am also a car guy and they host a great classic/antique car show every spring. I think the average age is mid-60s and a good number still work. I ask people what they like and don't like about it every chance I get. Most say they should have bought a bigger home the first time, but like all the social life, clubs (every kind), etc. One downside that was mentioned was that some of your good friends/neighbors die. She said most of your friends become family. I think everyone in life should be respectful and you earn that. Can't wait to make the move.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 AM

5,988 posts, read 14,908,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBears&Sox! View Post
I have visited Sun City on my own about a dozen times, looking to retire there in 6 years or less. It is not for everyone, so don't buy unless you want all that goes with it. I have played all 3 golf courses and have met a lot of nice people. Their amenity centers are second to none. I am also a car guy and they host a great classic/antique car show every spring. I think the average age is mid-60s and a good number still work. I ask people what they like and don't like about it every chance I get. Most say they should have bought a bigger home the first time, but like all the social life, clubs (every kind), etc. One downside that was mentioned was that some of your good friends/neighbors die. She said most of your friends become family. I think everyone in life should be respectful and you earn that. Can't wait to make the move.
Good post. Welcome to the forums! Wise older people are welcome.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,691 times
Having lived in areas with strong HOA's and areas with no HOA, I would gladly take he HOA. We plan to move to Austin and rent in Sun City for a trial and then make a purchase decision.

Last edited by grbarber; 02-15-2013 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or