Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 AM

264 posts, read 1,000,940 times

Advertisements

Please, people are already moving here in droves because of the "young, hip, energetic lifestlye" that Austin has to offer. The last thing we need is all the retirees from all over the country moving here too and really changing the dynamics of the city. I think they'd really feel out of place anyway.

Personally, if I were retiring I would be looking at Georgetown (not Sun City), Marble Falls/Kingsland, Burnet, and even Dripping Springs. I want more open space and less congestion, so Austin would be out of the question at this point. Another great area that's starting to be discovered is Driftwood, south of Austin and in the Salt Lick BBQ area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Well, there are all sorts of retirees, so what works well for you may not work well for others. Personally, I am very familiar with a couple sets of retirees (or soon to be retirees), one of which is my in-laws.

The ILs looked at Sun City and were just a little creeped out by it. They are very relaxed, hand out and drink coffee in the backyard/driveway type of people and pretty social, but the houses were just a little too close and intimate for them. The ones that backed up to greenbelt or golf course were much nicer - and much pricier! They are coming down from the midwest in a 'no fence' sort of area, but they have quite a bit more space now than they would ever be able to get (or afford) in Sun City.

They have also looked at Austin proper, but they are really wanting to avoid the traffic on a day-to-day basis, I think, and the areas in Austin they like will be out of their price range. They are currently looking out around Marble Falls and Burnet. They have a couple of years left until they retire, so they are trying not to look too hard and getting themselves too excited (they are REALLY ready to ditch the cold winters).

As for Austin as a retirement location - personally, I think that there is quite a range of activities and options. Although I am still many years from retirement (barring a lottery win ), I plan on staying here. There are a couple of retirees on our street currently, but it is probably not a 'target' retirement area or anything. They are interactive with the young families (and vice versa) and seem to be quite content. I am not sure who they 'go out with', but they seem to get along with the younger set (30s and 40s) in our neighborhood. As for what they do during the day when they (non-retirees) are all working, I have no idea .

My biggest gripe for retirement would be traffic, but I am in a very walkable area right now and that would be a main objective for me if I was looking for a place to retire...there are a few that are affordable still....
Thank you for the information. Austin has been listed in a number of retirement publications, and has been in the top 10 for several years. I quite frankly never thought of the area as a retirement choice until I read the listings about it for retirees. A walkable area is a huge requirement as to where I retire or not retire. Austin was listed as having many trails, and as you mentioned walkable areas are important. However what concerns me the most is the fact that Portland and Austin are compared as similiar, quite often here in Portland. Portland is not known as being all that welcoming to all ages. It is a young young mindset here, and one needs more diversity of age as we get older. I sensed Austin is much the same, and really who could blame someone for sensing that. I want to be around friendly people in more of a mixed age city. I don't really feel Austin should be listed in a retirement publication in the first place, I question how cities are being marketed to certain segments of the population. Thanks for you time.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I think what you "sense" about Austin is inaccurate or, rather, very, very incomplete.

For example, if I wanted to live in Sun City, I'd qualify based on age. I don't feel unwelcome here (heck, I've been here longer than a lot of folks have been on the planet), didn't when I was 18, and don't some 40 years later.

Really, all ages are welcome here. It helps if you, yourself, welcome all ages, as well, of course - you'll definitely feel more comfortable. But "retire" here doesn't mean (unless you really want it to) only seeing, or hanging out with, or being aware of the existence of, people of your own age group. Young and old, and in between, are all part of the community as a matter of course.

In other words, it's a great place to retire!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:00 AM

73 posts, read 254,528 times
As one who is nearing retirement in a few years and looking at possible retirement locations, I too have found Austin rated highly on many good places to retire lists. Now I've visited Austin several times over the years (since the 70s) and have always liked it, and it is high on my list. One of the reasons is it is oriented to a younger demographic, as most university towns are. But it is larger than your typical college town, and this is a good thing in my view. I like a cultural scene and artistic ferment, and I don't really care for rural areas. And I'm not interested in shuffleboard or Sun City HOA Nazis. Austin is big enough to have enough interesting things going on, but not so big that it chokes on the number of people there like big cities on the coasts.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 16,690 times
Default Here's The Good And The Bad Of Sun City

Me - I'm a Homeowner with husband - from the East Coast.

The Good: (1) I'm A Gyn Rat - and here - excellent Gym Facitities - free weights, lots of equipment and lots of aerobics and so forth from 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM; private, unhurried traffic - so, for my bicycle riding - I can do 30 plus miles here without going over the same road twice and virtually all of us drive "Texas Friendly". (2) Community Restrictions: Limited visiting which most of us here prefer - no nasty, unruly visitors; and, children can only use the Pool areas a couple of hours a day - perfect form most of us - no teenagers, no noise and so forth. (3) Any and all "Projects" for your property must be approved - wonderful - all properties here are in wonderful condition and no "pink" or "purple" houses and all yards and such must be maintained. And, the Landscaping here - this is truly a "resort". (4) Lots of Activities: From computer classes to painting to studying most languages - and ACC Community College nearby - over age 65 - 6 credits are free - no charge but for books - each semester. (5) Texas has no State Income Tax - so, Property Taxes a bit higher - easy to live with. (6) There is a "full time", 24 hour Classical Music Station broadcasting from Austin - perfect - as is the Austin Symphony and so forth.

The Bad. See Above. No everyone can live within "rules and regulations"; and, lots of people from California here - so - this can be a problem for some - for me - I ignore them.

So - and least I forget - prices of Houses - goodness - I've a fully detached house almost across the street from a "nature area" - not to be developed area - two car garage and so forth - where could I get this for $140,000 anywhere else - Life Is Good Here.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 16,671 times
Default Regarding reviews of Sun City living in Georgetown Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestMichigan View Post
We're considering the purchase of a home in Sun City Georgetown. We're mid-60s, both retired recently as scientists in the pharmaceutical industry, good health, liberal Democrats, active in the community and craft hobbies. Would love to hear other's opinions of living in Sun City Georgetown including financial aspects.
My husband and I have lived in Georgetown jsut short of tow years. First we bought a condo believing downsizing was a good choice at this stage of our lives. Then, with grandchildren visiting during summers we felt our small condo too unaccomodating and decided to buy a home with more square footage We were aware of Sun City, but initially felt it was a community of "old people" with gardens for aging quietly. 'm immy late 50's and my husband, an accomplished western riding horse lover is 65. We decided to investigate Sun City after all. Initial impression? Beautiful! So many activities for really active seniors, great facilities etc. Well, that sold us, so we bought a brand new home and delved into the joy of landscaping, decorating inside and out. Then, we learned the dark side of Sunny Sun City. Its called the CA Modification Committee Board where every aspect of your outdoor landscaping plans is scrutinized with a fine tooth comb. All our designs matched just about what is average in Sun City including pictures, I took for ideas, of other Sun City neighborhoods. Well, the CA Modification Committee whelds a heavy hand of capricious power. Arbritrairliy approving and rejecting submissons to landscape your won property down to what flowers you wish to embellish your garden. They approve, then reject, the demand resubmission of plans and applications. They, are and out of control dictatorship. Its ruined our joy and demanded so much of our time just trying ot get our projects done. Other residents are empathetic for each has his own nightmare story.
So, if you are seriously considering retirement living at Sun City, I strongly suggest you continue to investigate what that will mean and what you are willing to tolerate in terms of limitations/restrictions that often are arbitrairy bordering on the rediculous under a very controlling Board. I have had to consult an attorney and have contacted Pulte's Media Relations Division in Phoenix to voice my complaints. Much remains un resolved but the storm, for the moment, has stilled.
There you have it...I'm not sure if we will remain here, the initial joy has lost its luster. This I can tell you, if I had it to do again, I would not b uy in Sun City or recomend it to anyone. Good luck, Michele

Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
I have a friend and client client who is a longtime Sun City resident. We had a long, interesting conversation a couple of years ago of the pros and cons as he and his wife see them.

Pros
He loves golf, and golfs often still in his 70s. There are a lot of organized activities. They are always busy and have lots of friends. They don't have to leave the neighborhood very often, they feel safe and have a low maintenance lifestyle. He likes the asthetic appearance of the neighborhood and that the HOA keeps it under control.

Cons
It can get socially politically at times, if you fall into the wrong crowd. Lots of grumpy old men and busy-body women. Gossip. Think Seinfeld and some of those episodes with the parents in Florida. But if you know how to navigate and steer clear of the negative people and their never-ending complaints and gripes, the remaining folks are A1, gold plated, super great folks.

This is all second hand from my friend/client who lives there. I have no personal experience with Sun City.

Steve

Old 02-09-2009, 11:49 AM

15 posts, read 82,250 times
WE love Sun City. Yes, we have rules, but they are the kind of rules and restrictions we like. We do not miss the constant knocking at our door to buy cookies and school junk. no punks driving by with loud radios, cleanliness, neat yards, barking dogs, you name it. We feel very safe here. We have a fire/police station,Ambulance . There are activities and ammenites to suit everyone. Shopping is easy to access and our economy is growing in spite of the nation wide downturn. Residents are overall happy people. Yes there are some grouches and gripers, after all you cannot please everyone. Children are restricted to morning hours for swimming but it is very generous. We also hold Summer camp run by residents for grandchildren. Most people did not move here to live amongs children afterall. If you cannot be happy here you probably won't be "happy" any place.
Also the general Georgetown area is one of the friendliest areas we have ever lived. We have lived in other parts of Tex. and other states as well.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:30 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
"lots of people from California here - so - this can be a problem for some - for me - I ignore them." This was written by "mefirst" - might as well have been talking about rats. It has to be one of the most hurtful, prejudiced things I have read on this Forum. So much for the image of the accepting, open minded Austin.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:36 PM

57 posts, read 292,292 times
Sun City's a nice area. It's relaxed, the people are friendly, and it's detached from the rest of the city enough to not really have any riff raff. I do some work out there at times (computer repair or network setups), and most of my customers have been there for a couple of years. The value of their homes is staying relatively consistent over the last few years (not much in the ways of ups and downs). There are some amenities are reasonably close (gas, groceries), others (dept stores, shopping, etc) are about a 15 minute drive or so.

Everyone I know that lives there seems to be involved in some kind of event or activity there though, and I've yet to meet anyone there who's not extremely nice. I previously lived in Tucson, AZ and did work at the local retirement community there (Green Valley) and Sun City is MUCH nicer and friendlier.

Just my 2 cents...

There is really only one way in or out of there (Williams Drive), so it can be hairy if there's an accident, and it's usually pretty busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin