Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I personally think it's great. It means that the universities will have to raise their standards and only admit the best students, which will bring a higher-quality student body and only increase the prestige of the school. It's not like the universities are favoring students from out of state. If the kids in Texas have better grades and SAT/GRE scores than the others, then they will be the ones being admitted. I don't think that someone should be owed a college education just because they grew up here.
....unless their parents have paid taxes into the system that funds Texas universities. I think that the public UT system should be for qualified Texas residents FIRST, then other qualified US citizens next (at a higher tuition), and LASTLY international/foreign students (at an even higher tuition). It burns me up to see UT crawling with foreign students when qualified Texas students can't get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
....unless their parents have paid taxes into the system that funds Texas universities. I think that the public UT system should be for qualified Texas residents FIRST, then other qualified US citizens next (at a higher tuition), and LASTLY international/foreign students (at an even higher tuition). It burns me up to see UT crawling with foreign students when qualified Texas students can't get in.
Out of state and international students do pay higher tuition and UT needs that extra money.

I do think that stinks..state universities should be for the state's residents first and if there are any spots left, then take in out of state and international students. But the system doesn't work that way sadly.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:41 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Funny thing is that many of the foreign students are eminently more qualified due to a better education foundation. UT is, despite what many people want it to be, a research institution first and foremost. They are looking for the best, brightest, most prepared. Geographic location is a poor indicator of ability and potential, which should be the critical factors in a flagship university.

On the other hand, with the 10-percent rule, does that only apply to Tx high school rankings, or any state's high school ranking? Supposedly, without changing the rules, 100% of the students admitted to UT next year will be via the 10% rule.

Personally, I would like to see the flagship universitie(s) take the best that they can get, regardless of where they came from. I do not think (as implied by the 10% rule) that you should automatically get into the state school of your choice. There are many schools (all paid for, to some degree, by taxes) that are available to residents. I do not think there are many, if any, college qualified resident kids who cannot get into a state school - it just may not be UT or A&M.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:12 AM

264 posts, read 1,094,140 times
We moved here looking for a better quality of life for our whole family. Are we wrong for that? I don't think so. I am sure anyone in this forum would do the same for themselves and their children. And why is it that so many "true Texans" tend to like to make this beautiful state as if it was a different country inside a country? It doesn't make sense to me! This is the USA still, isn't it? If we don't even have the freedom to move as we please inside our country then something is terribly wrong with the people... And do not blame the government, I mean the sour, upset, uptight people who look down on any new-comers. We are working just as hard (if not harder) than we did before, but with the promise, the hope of a better outcome at the end of the day. I am not ashamed of this.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I don't think it's the individual people that native Texans have a gripe with. It's the state, city, developer/builder folks that don't move quick enough to make changes to accomodate all these new people.

If you have an infrastructure that supports a population of 20K and then 50K more move in with no support/expansion of that infrastructure that impacts the quality of life for all but the initial 20K feel it more.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 AM

746 posts, read 3,726,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Funny thing is that many of the foreign students are eminently more qualified due to a better education foundation. UT is, despite what many people want it to be, a research institution first and foremost. They are looking for the best, brightest, most prepared. Geographic location is a poor indicator of ability and potential, which should be the critical factors in a flagship university.

On the other hand, with the 10-percent rule, does that only apply to Tx high school rankings, or any state's high school ranking? Supposedly, without changing the rules, 100% of the students admitted to UT next year will be via the 10% rule.

Personally, I would like to see the flagship universitie(s) take the best that they can get, regardless of where they came from. I do not think (as implied by the 10% rule) that you should automatically get into the state school of your choice. There are many schools (all paid for, to some degree, by taxes) that are available to residents. I do not think there are many, if any, college qualified resident kids who cannot get into a state school - it just may not be UT or A&M.
Unfortunately, employers look at the main state universities with a much greater light and respect than the secondary colleges, many of which are private. Also, many will have to take the community college route, which is a fast path to nowhere. States also have been cutting back markedly on university funding, which jacks up the tuition for everyone.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 AM

746 posts, read 3,726,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsloane View Post
We moved here looking for a better quality of life for our whole family. Are we wrong for that? I don't think so. I am sure anyone in this forum would do the same for themselves and their children. And why is it that so many "true Texans" tend to like to make this beautiful state as if it was a different country inside a country? It doesn't make sense to me! This is the USA still, isn't it? If we don't even have the freedom to move as we please inside our country then something is terribly wrong with the people... And do not blame the government, I mean the sour, upset, uptight people who look down on any new-comers. We are working just as hard (if not harder) than we did before, but with the promise, the hope of a better outcome at the end of the day. I am not ashamed of this.
I think its just a sense that their state and economy is being overwhelmed by newcomers. The recession will exacerbate this scapegoating, but its just human nature. They see the traffic, constantly changing neighborhoods, and such, and it is a large change for them, and they are simply overwhelmed by all this, and properly so. These newcomers would feel the same way if THEIR states were overwhelmed by all these things, and THEY were footing the tax bill for that infrastructure as well. Let's face it, its a lot to ask for them to accept it with complete equinamity and loving, open arms. You certainly can't expect them to blow kisses at you and give loving hugs to all who move in.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:14 AM

184 posts, read 1,007,101 times
>It burns me up to see UT crawling with foreign students when qualified Texas students can't get in

Um..How do you know a UT student is a foreigner and not a US citizen? Do you have any official stats or are you judging by color of skin?

You may also be forgetting that most Ph.D programs in top universities have disproportionately high number of well qualified foreigners. This is what makes our universities top notch -- great talent and research.

On in-migration concerns: I dont get the argument. We want Austin to have a strong economy, which requires continous creation of new jobs. If local talent cannot fill these jobs, business has to attract non-texans. I think non-texans bring great diversity, talent and experience and this is why Texas continues to enjoy economic success.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:40 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

The 10% rule excludes many, many kids who are homeschooled, private schooled, or are 4.00+, perfect SAT scoring kids from highly competitive schools who fall short of the top 10%. In many cases, those kids are more qualified than the top 10% kids from a less competitive school. That's wrong. 80% of the students admitted for this fall are under the top 10% rule.

As for international students, those kids may possibly look better on paper (in the sense they are super specialized in one area), but they are not 'better' than US students. I don't put down American kids like that...so many people buy into that, and that's not fair. My property taxes pay for the whole Texas university system, and Texas residents should have first shot into the college of their choice for which they are qualified. Leftovers should go to the foreign and OOS. BTW, only Texas students are subject to the top 10% rule.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:52 AM

264 posts, read 1,000,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think it's the individual people that native Texans have a gripe with. It's the state, city, developer/builder folks that don't move quick enough to make changes to accomodate all these new people.

If you have an infrastructure that supports a population of 20K and then 50K more move in with no support/expansion of that infrastructure that impacts the quality of life for all but the initial 20K feel it more.
That was well said! All this migration is simply overwhelming the system and it's extremely noticeable! Our quality of life is suffering because everyone wants to move here to improve their quality of life. What about OUR quality of life? Why should my kids be packed into a portable building like sardines because you want a bigger house for less? Your greed is ruining our quality of life. Plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin