Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:33 PM

746 posts, read 3,726,767 times

Advertisements

"The only reason we are not keeping up with things is that folks don't want to pay for it. It's true about all of our infrastructure and it's not just here. The problem is not folks moving here its that all of this stuff costs money and the people of Texas have decided that rather than pay more taxes to pay for infrastructure they would rather pay less taxes and buy stuff at Walmart."

This is the wisest statement I've seen per the discussion yet. So wise, it essentially ends the discussion, though you know we will talk about it more.
True, in a myopic sense, we would rather have that discressionary income to spend on shopping and such, than to invest it in the communal till. Funny thing is, we pay for it anyway with road rage. And what price can you put on THAT, or the lack of the same?

Last edited by scongress1234; 04-20-2008 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 12:50 PM

746 posts, read 3,726,767 times
Read this quote from Richard Florida's "Creative Class" book:

"Most experts and scholars have not even begun to think in terms of a creative community. Instead, they tend to try to emulate the Silicon Valley model which author Joel Kotkin has dubbed the "nerdistan." But the nerdistan is a limited economic development model, which misunderstands the role played by creativity in generating innovation and economic growth. Nerdistans are bland, uninteresting places with acre upon acre of identical office complexes, row after row of asphalt parking lots, freeways clogged with cars, cookie-cutter housing developments, and strip-malls sprawling in every direction. Many of these places have fallen victim to the very kinds of problems they were supposed to avoid. The comfort and security of places like Silicon Valley have gradually given way to sprawl, pollution, and paralyzing traffic jams. As one technology executive told The Wall Street Journal, "I really didn't want to live in San Jose. Every time I went up there, the concrete jungle got me down." His company eventually settled on a more urban Southern California location in downtown Pasadena close to the CalTech campus."

Sound a little like what's happening to Austin?

Last edited by scongress1234; 04-20-2008 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-20-2008, 02:01 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,755 times
What is this 10% rule in regards to UT Austin admission? Sorry for asking a stupid question, but I've never gone to public school, for college at least. Without understanding the 10% rule, some of these rants sound like you expect your children to be able to go to college because of their residency status, but if they're not academically up to par, they shouldn't. Maybe if they know there's fierce competition out there, they'll bust their butts even harder. No one is owed a handout.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:30 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
What is this 10% rule in regards to UT Austin admission? Sorry for asking a stupid question, but I've never gone to public school, for college at least. Without understanding the 10% rule, some of these rants sound like you expect your children to be able to go to college because of their residency status, but if they're not academically up to par, they shouldn't. Maybe if they know there's fierce competition out there, they'll bust their butts even harder. No one is owed a handout.
I had to give you reps for this post! I don't understand why some here on this forum think that they or their children are owed a college education at the school of their choice within the state of TX based SOLEY on their residency status! Everywhere, everyone must compete for a spot in a top school, no matter what state you live in.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I had to give you reps for this post! I don't understand why some here on this forum think that they or their children are owed a college education at the school of their choice within the state of TX based SOLEY on their residency status! Everywhere, everyone must compete for a spot in a top school, no matter what state you live in.
Lol-I just gave you reps in another thread here.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Lol-I just gave you reps in another thread here.
Thanks I just read that thread. It's very refreshing to read your thoughts with you being a "native"!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Thanks I just read that thread. It's very refreshing to read your thoughts with you being a "native"!
Thank you. I appreciate that.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:57 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The 10% rule means that (in general) if you rank in the top 10 percent of your HS class, you can get admitted to the state university of your choice. Initially, this 'consumed' about 50% of the slots and was not really an issue, but it is rapidly approaching 100% of the available slots, which leaves the University with no discretionary slots.

The state resident thing is (imho) a little off, only because some people have paid taxes for 30 or 40 years before they send any kids to college. Do they get a preference over people who have paid for 10 years? 15 years? 5 years? Although different (opposite, kind of), it parallels the argument that retirees have about paying school taxes when they have not kids.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The 10% rule means that (in general) if you rank in the top 10 percent of your HS class, you can get admitted to the state university of your choice. Initially, this 'consumed' about 50% of the slots and was not really an issue, but it is rapidly approaching 100% of the available slots, which leaves the University with no discretionary slots.

The state resident thing is (imho) a little off, only because some people have paid taxes for 30 or 40 years before they send any kids to college. Do they get a preference over people who have paid for 10 years? 15 years? 5 years? Although different (opposite, kind of), it parallels the argument that retirees have about paying school taxes when they have not kids.
No, I don't think that someone who has paid taxes for nearly 40 years should get a preference. Colleges/universities have always admitted the brightest and the best for years...why should that change? Someone might have paid taxes for over 40 years and their child may have struggled to barely keep a "C" in high school--so that preference would allow that child to get into said university while someone who has a 4.0 gpa can't get in. That doesn't make sense to me. Paying taxes should not be an issue when it comes down to which school your child is accepted at. I have paid taxes all my adult life to Pittsburgh--that in no way entitles me to the school of my choice in that city and nor should it.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

Thanks for the info. I actually forgot that was the general rule-I've been out of HS for awhile. I can understand the frustration and agree with your analogy, but I also paid taxes all the while attending private school. IMO-in the end it should boil down to credentials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin