Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 05:37 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times

Advertisements

They have been working somewhere on I-35 between San Antonio and Dallas ever since at least 1976, when I first started coming to Austin.

It can be annoying as all get out trying to get thru a work zone and tge teaffic's backed up as far as tge eye can see, barely moving, if moving at all. But I'm glad the State is onstantly trying to improve I-35. Imagine what it would be like if they hadn't done any road improvements to I-35 in 40 years.

In South Austin, they been working on Wm Cannon and Stassney exits for years. Once they get them done, they"ll be real nice.The traffic on Northbound frontage road at light on Wm Cannon already moves quite a bit faster with a double left. Before, it could to take up to 4 light changes to get on to Wm Cannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 06:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
They have been working somewhere on I-35 between San Antonio and Dallas ever since at least 1976, when I first started coming to Austin.

It can be annoying as all get out trying to get thru a work zone and tge teaffic's backed up as far as tge eye can see, barely moving, if moving at all. But I'm glad the State is onstantly trying to improve I-35. Imagine what it would be like if they hadn't done any road improvements to I-35 in 40 years.

In South Austin, they been working on Wm Cannon and Stassney exits for years. Once they get them done, they"ll be real nice.The traffic on Northbound frontage road at light on Wm Cannon already moves quite a bit faster with a double left. Before, it could to take up to 4 light changes to get on to Wm Cannon

I first rode on I35 when we were bringing my sister to college at Southwestern in Georgetown when it was first being built in 1957. I've lived in Dallas, my husband grew up in San Antonio, we met in Austin when attending UT and have had family in both. In all that time I have NEVER been on I35 when there was not construction on it somewhere (and usually construction on it in Temple for some reason). So it has been under construction somewhere between Dallas and San Antonio for 62 years that I personally know of.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:17 PM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

J/W was it the same projects that they have been doing to widen it to 3 lanes each way or just different incremental upgrades at a time?

IMO I-35 needs a sister toll road between Austin and DFW. i kinda wish they could extend TX-130 from its current terminus at I-35, NW to Killeen, staying west of Temple and Waco and remeeting I-35 in Hillsboro at the I-35E / I-35W interchange, keep the speed limit atleast 80. I would definitely pay (even $20+) to bypass Waco. Maybe extend Chilsholm Trail Pkwy to 130 near Hillsboro as well.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
J/W was it the same projects that they have been doing to widen it to 3 lanes each way or just different incremental upgrades at a time?

IMO I-35 needs a sister toll road between Austin and DFW. i kinda wish they could extend TX-130 from its current terminus at I-35, NW to Killeen, staying west of Temple and Waco and remeeting I-35 in Hillsboro at the I-35E / I-35W interchange, keep the speed limit atleast 80. I would definitely pay (even $20+) to bypass Waco. Maybe extend Chilsholm Trail Pkwy to 130 near Hillsboro as well.

Whose land would you be willing to sacrifice for that?

Old 11-12-2019, 11:22 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:

Nah, first we need an expressway between north-north Austin and Shreveport, LA.

And I would sacrifice whatever land was in the way

Old 11-13-2019, 05:35 AM

11,799 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

This is so true. It's a pain having to go all the way up to DFW to reach I-20.

Supposedly whenever they finish I-14, it will go all the way to Macon GA. It will supposedly multiplex with I-59/I-20 until somewhere just before Tuscaloosa AL and continue directly East to Macon, but you get the option to stay on I-20.

Another thing that is needed is a tollroad between here and Houston. It blows me away that something like that doesnt exist yet.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:36 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:

Rick Perry tried to do that. 130 was originally slated to be a part of the "Trans-Texas Corridors" that do exactly what you're talking about, but the amount of eminent domain required drew entire towns to public meetings in protest. He was a little too tied up with the corporations he wanted to award contracts to and managed to draw the ire of people all over the political spectrum.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

So you have no problem with forcing people to sell their land for your convenience? Land that may have been in their families and being used for generations? For your convenience?

Old 11-13-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Rick Perry tried to do that. 130 was originally slated to be a part of the "Trans-Texas Corridors" that do exactly what you're talking about, but the amount of eminent domain required drew entire towns to public meetings in protest. He was a little too tied up with the corporations he wanted to award contracts to and managed to draw the ire of people all over the political spectrum.

This right here. There were signs on land warning those who were hired to evaluate it that the owners were armed and not afraid to use them, in essence, right down the road here.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:42 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So you have no problem with forcing people to sell their land for your convenience? Land that may have been in their families and being used for generations? For your convenience?
Well, "they" can work around long-standing homesteads and sacred burial grounds, of course!!
The owners should be paid handsomely for their loss.
And it's not just MY convenience. Camaro would take advantage regularly, as would one or two others

We're likely to build some more highways SOMEwhere; it might as well benefit me directly
Heck, it might even improve the traffic on other main highways(35) as truckers have been known to appreciate the path of least resistance and they LOVE a good hypotenuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin