Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:10 AM

24 posts, read 91,036 times

Advertisements

I tried searching but its either not here or I'm no good at searching (probably the latter).

We are just about to sign a lease on what is considered a 'condo' located around the intersection of 360 and Spicewood Springs. I'm going to be driving in daily to the Burnet/2222 area (near Allandale). I've driven it on the weekend and during non-rush hour times during the week and its about 10 minutes regardless of which way I go (Anderson to Burnet, Mopac to Allandale or straight across 2222).

My question is, as is the question of many others, how is the traffic going into this area in the morning? I'm not worried about evenings, just morning commute times. Is 2222 as dangerous as everyone is saying (by everyone I mean one apartment locator and the one person I know who lives outside of Austin).

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 09:42 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
The part of 2222 that is most dangerous is West of 360 because the speed llimit is higher and any accidents are likely to result in serious injury or death. The part between 360 and Mopac is just very curvy and hilly and cars can veer into the wrong lane if they aren't paying attention. If I were living at 360/Spicewood Springs, I'd take Spicewood Springs over to Anderson rather than 2222 just because it's an easier drive. Traffic would be about the same.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:58 AM

351 posts, read 336,349 times
I agree with Moonlady my son goes to school at the Children's Courtyard at Spicewood and Spicewood is an easy drive compared to 2222.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:52 AM

24 posts, read 91,036 times
thank you!
To hal512: Are you referring to the Children's courtyard on Spicewood? I ask because I am going to pick up an application to have my younger child put on the waiting list for part time. It would be nice to hear from a parent's perspective on what you like/don't like about the place.

Thanks again!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:30 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
The 2222 over the hump section as I call it is prone to rollovers, but is an unbelievable road and it is my chosen way to work

Old 04-23-2008, 07:04 AM

99 posts, read 421,630 times
Welcome to the neighborhood!

2222 between Mopac and 360 has plenty of curves, but it's not that bad. I would say only avoid it on wet days. People speed a lot faster from 360 to 620.

For you taking Spicewood/Anderson probably makes the most sense. You can take the road that goes under 360 to avoid the lights if you are north/west of 360 on Spicewood. The traffic on 360 tends to slow in either direction because of the lights. There's a Walmart going in where the Northcross mall is now at the intersection of Anderson and Burnett. You may want to drop down Mopac, or take some shortcut to avoid the traffic there.

My daughter is at the Children's Courtyard. We have mixed feelings about it. There has been turnover with the staff, both teachers and directors. We have liked our daughter's teachers, but after this year all will have left.

Last edited by jclAustin; 04-23-2008 at 07:39 AM..

Old 04-25-2008, 07:29 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedoutMom View Post
I tried searching but its either not here or I'm no good at searching (probably the latter).

We are just about to sign a lease on what is considered a 'condo' located around the intersection of 360 and Spicewood Springs. I'm going to be driving in daily to the Burnet/2222 area (near Allandale). I've driven it on the weekend and during non-rush hour times during the week and its about 10 minutes regardless of which way I go (Anderson to Burnet, Mopac to Allandale or straight across 2222).

My question is, as is the question of many others, how is the traffic going into this area in the morning? I'm not worried about evenings, just morning commute times. Is 2222 as dangerous as everyone is saying (by everyone I mean one apartment locator and the one person I know who lives outside of Austin).

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
You wont need to take 2222 in the hill country (curving and winding through hills - west of mopac), you will take spicewood springs to mopac south. Depending on the traffic you can stay on the frontage or get on. After far west you would get back on mopac south and exit 2222 (getting on mopac for one exit lets you skip a light) and make a left. Burnet is extremely close. If I had to estimate the commute time even during rush hour it will be less than 15 minutes.

The left turn at mopac/2222 can be really long, so it may be fast to just go local the whole way. Take spicewood springs across mopac where it turns into anderson ln. Make a right turn on burnet down to koenig (which is 2222 in the city).

Regardless your commute will not deviate much from 15 minutes.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
2222 between Mopac and 360 has plenty of curves,

Hah! I can remember when they ruined 2222 by straightening and widening it. Before that, it was REALLY curvy (and one lane in each direction), much more like Bullick Hollow (2222 past 620). First time I drove it was in an MGB, in the dark - quite the experience. It used to be a great drive, if not a great commute (but, then, at that point, it wasn't considered to be a commute for a major number of people).

It was sad when they decided they had to tame it down.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:09 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
I have a slip that says you can(not) go 69 mph throught there

Old 11-30-2013, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 11,549 times
Don't speed or text and you will enjoy the ride from 360 to Mopac via 2222 every time. Been doing it my whole life, always making great time. There was a wreck at Mesa and 2222 at a light last year. My first thought was How could this even happen? This is a lovely well done scenic road with gorgeous views, not the Autobahn or the LA freeway. Simply be careful, like always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin