Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:01 PM

149 posts, read 498,174 times

Advertisements

I had a job before I moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 09:16 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
I'm curious as to what people are thinking, in terms of what they're hearing when contemplating a move to Austin. From reading a lot of posts, it sounds like a lot of people are just moving here first, and then trying to find a job. That sounds so crazy to me because most people move somewhere because of their job (transfer, higher paying, etc.). I didn't know that people would move across the country to live somewhere because of what they "heard about a city" and then try to find a job. Are things really that bad out there to where people are now moving to Austin/Texas in hopes of finding a job? I would NEVER move anywhere unless I damn well had a job first. I know a lot of people from California are cashing out and selling their homes for a lot of money and can then afford to make that kind of move, but still, I don't think everyone has that option and it's not like they're just handing out jobs like candy here. That seems like a huge risk but I'd like to know if some of you think it was worth it?
WOW! You and I finally agree on something. I, too, would never move to another city without securing a job first.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:33 PM

53 posts, read 174,847 times
I'm starting to think it would be better to move there first then find a job, I posted my resume online and I actually have had tons of hits but once they find out I'm not living there yet, then no more responces from them.... I would like to get a job first before we move, but not sure if thats going to happen? (anyone know of any company looking to hire a graphic designer in the next 6 months) hahaha....
Oh and to the person who posted about there buddy throwing the dart.... me and my husband laughed soooo hard over that one.... that would be COOL!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,457 times
We moved from Denver 5 yrs ago with no jobs, Well we did have a possible back up job for my hubby, Turns out the back up job became his career after not finding a job in his field..and he is very respected and successful in this new field. I had a harder time since I lacked the basics (no real computer training and not able to speak spanish) but eventually got a job in my field and love it. I had to wait for company turnover.
We made the move to get closer to family, so we just know we would find something sooner or later! It turned out great and we are very happy.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 AM

947 posts, read 3,138,438 times
When I was 23 I moved from MA to CA without a job. Found a office temp job two days later. That was in 1993.

When my husband and I decided to move from CA to TX he told his boss if we sold our house we were going to move to Austin, TX area. His Boss said great, he was looking to open a office in Austin. So we were blessed that my husband was still employed when we moved.

We sold our house, but not for what we were hoping, had to lower the price 3X's which was o.k.

I'm surprised people still believe that people in CA are "cashing out" when they sell. A couple of years ago they were. Not to much the case now since prices are free falling. Buyers are on the sidelines because the lending guidelines have been tightened, full doc loans, 10 - 20% down, good credit. So not to many people are able to sell for what they want, and not to many people are able to qualify for the loans. Some people may disagree, but I think the CA migration will slow down for a while now.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 AM

433 posts, read 1,657,162 times
I tried for the longest time to find a job before I moved, but as was the case with others, finding a job when you're out-of-state is difficult.

I was determined to move to Austin, so I convinced my current employer to allow me to move and telecommute from home.

It's working out great!

Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 AM

746 posts, read 3,726,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
When I was 23 I moved from MA to CA without a job. Found a office temp job two days later. That was in 1993.

When my husband and I decided to move from CA to TX he told his boss if we sold our house we were going to move to Austin, TX area. His Boss said great, he was looking to open a office in Austin. So we were blessed that my husband was still employed when we moved.

We sold our house, but not for what we were hoping, had to lower the price 3X's which was o.k.

I'm surprised people still believe that people in CA are "cashing out" when they sell. A couple of years ago they were. Not to much the case now since prices are free falling. Buyers are on the sidelines because the lending guidelines have been tightened, full doc loans, 10 - 20% down, good credit. So not to many people are able to sell for what they want, and not to many people are able to qualify for the loans. Some people may disagree, but I think the CA migration will slow down for a while now.
True....that may slow housing-related relocation, but I think Californians are moving to get away from the high priced living in general per Cal - taxes,
basics, you name it. Housing is a push rather than a pull. The pull is that they really want a newer, better, more authentic life. And the nature of Cal
is that many people from there were not there very long, as opposed to the longer roots of texans. I still think there are not terribly deep roots per city dwelling texans, especially when you consider people that moved from smaller cities and towns. Let's face it, we are a gypsy people. Americans are always on the move, from one end of the sunbelt to the other, and everywhere in between.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 AM

447 posts, read 1,849,084 times
My husband had a job when we moved here in June 2006 with our 3 kids - I did not. I received a job offer within a few weeks of moving here.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 AM

149 posts, read 498,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
I think the CA migration will slow down for a while now.
Actually, I see the reverse migration is happening now as well. People moved here from CA in 2006, now selling their houses (with some gain) and moving back to CA. It could be just a few isolated cases though.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,192 times
My husband kept his job at Microsoft in Seattle when we moved (he telecommuted), and had multiple promising leads for positions here. When one of those panned out, he quit his MS job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin