Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 PM

5 posts, read 28,645 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are expecting our first, a sweet little girl in August, and then we are looking to move to Austin from Washington DC soon after that, basically as soon as he finds a job (finance/engineering) and we get a chance to fly down so he can interview and we can check out the city. So probably anytime from October to December is what we're looking at. The sooner the better!

We're looking to eventually buy, but realize it is smarter to rent the first 6 months so we can get a lay of the land. I know this sounds so silly, but we're looking to find out what the "cool/hip" places in town are so we know where to look. We're coming from a pretty metropolitan area (Adams-Morgan in NW DC) and really like it (i.e. we're not looking to jump right into the suburbs). We're also not exactly sure what our price range will be since there is such a vast difference in the cost of living between the two cities. I suppose we're looking to spend less than $1500/month on rent. And on top of all that we'd love to live in a sort of artsy, funky part of town since eventually I will be starting to work on my art again after baby and I get settled.

I guess that's all! Any advice/suggestions/warnings/whatever is totally welcome. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 04:37 PM

79 posts, read 230,442 times
Hi Herosmum,

My husband, our little one and I moved from DC last year in Feb.

We too came for a visit prior to moving. We had been in touch with a real estate agent (I will gladly send you her contacts if you wish) who was so helpful in telling us about the many neighborhoods, price ranges, etc.

We decided to rent and we did so through a rental agent as well who turned out to be amazing. Our price range was the same as yours but we chose to give the burbs a chance and made a move for Cedar Park, a northern "burb" of Austin listed as one of the most rapidly growing burbs of the US. Not necessarily a good thing but it's nice to know the metro line will open there too when it does.
I'm a city girl (born and raised in Paris, France) and have always lived in big cities so I understand your needs. However, I must say that Cedar Park caters to families and children unbelievably well. This area is nowhere near as big as the DC vicinity and driving here is actually pleasant with short distances. I have never been anywhere that took me longer than 20 mins to get to and when I do drive that long it's to go beyond this area.

A year later, we are still renting our 1300 sq. ft apartment in a great complex with everything nearby for less than $1K a month. We too originally were thinking of renting for 6 months but one gets so much bang for the buck, we ended renewing our lease for a whole 12 months. Apartments here are huge in comparison to DC I should point out so it's been a win-win solution for us.

I wouldn't recommend buying until Austin's developments have slowed down a bit or have come close to being quasi-done. For instance, CP is currently considering a huge project which include a waterpark in CP (yikes!!!). There are many more you should look into prior to considerating a specific area. Nothing would be more depressing than to move in a house with a view and end up facing a mall the next year.

Austin is rapidly growing, expanding, developping. Condos are being built left and right and are quite the eye-sore in my opinion. Austin does not have as much in terms of entertainment as DC if you are looking for that. Life around here seems to revolve a lot outside of Austin. I'm not crazy of downtown personally which turns into a playground for the college kids on weekends.

I'm not sure what rent goes for downtown but I'd be happy to read other's feedback on that.

If I have one advice to give you, stay off IH-35. Sadly, Round Rock (a great northern burb with lots of good schools, etc.) is cursed with it and I would hate to have to live anywhere near that!

A great way to gouge home prices in the area is to go to Austin TX Real Estate by HomeCity and ZipRealty Real Estate -- Homes for sale and local real estate agents . two sites I still use today to keep track of prices. Both offer great info on the schools amongst other things.

Good luck with it all!
Signing up is

Old 04-23-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks so much! It is refreshing to know that there are some DC'ers out there. Have you heard anything about South Congress and/or Central Austin? I was told that this is the "funky" place to be.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:38 PM

746 posts, read 3,719,179 times
I second the college kids taking over sixth st. on week-ends with the barricades comment. Be warned that that is the main and only entertainment district, and there is not much but malls and mega apartment complexes outside that city center. South Congress and such has some nice botiques, but little in the way of theater or culture, or even much music outside of Continental Club, which is a small bar sized club, and maybe Ruta Maya. which is more of a coffeehouse. Most of the activity centers on outdoor eateries, which are fun, but thats literally about it. Same with Riverside....just a world of outdoor eateries, on and on. If you are used to the high culture, theaters, and adult nightlife, you might be very disappointed with the college orientated music scene, heavy on alt rock, with teams of hard-core partying college kids. Actually, when they barricade the streets each week-end, you might feel like you are back in college again.......not many adult orientated venues, and VERY little high culture, theater, or decent museums. Just make sure you know what you are getting into....

http://i.pbase.com/v3/35/577135/2/46208957.sixthstreetfun.jpg (broken link)

This is what Austin's entertainment district looks like on week-ends, all through the year. Teaming with college kids. Typically drunk as a skunk, and yelling
out, pretty much quite obnoxious. Most older Austinites stay far away from the place.....and that may account for all the people at the outdoor eateries
trying to get away from the crush.......again, make sure you know what you are doing before you make the move!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:49 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,330,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Be warned that that is the main and only entertainment district, and there is not much but malls and mega apartment complexes outside that city center. South Congress and such has some nice botiques, but little in the way of theater or culture, or even much music outside of Continental Club, which is a small bar sized club, and maybe Ruta Maya. which is more of a coffeehouse. Most of the activity centers on outdoor eateries, which are fun, but thats literally about it. Save with Riverside....just a world of outdoor eateries, on and on. If you are used to the high culture, theaters, and adult nightlife, you might be very disappointed with the college orientated music scene, heavy on alt rock, with teams of hard-core partying college kids. Actually, when they barricade the streets each week-end, you might feel like you are back in college again.......not many adult orientated venues, and VERY little high culture, theater, or decent museums. Just make sure you know what you are getting into....

http://i.pbase.com/v3/35/577135/2/46208957.sixthstreetfun.jpg (broken link)

This is what Austin's entertainment district looks like on week-ends, all through the year. Teaming with college kids. Typically drunk as a skunk, and yelling
out, pretty much quite obnoxious. Most older Austinites stay far away from the place.....and that may account for all the people at the outdoor eateries
trying to get away from the crush.......again, make sure you know what you are doing before you make the move!
I disagree...there are lots of adult entertainment that doesn't focus on the college kids or 6th Street!
There is:
The Broken Spoke (Lamar)
Ginny's Little Longhorn Saloon (Burnet)
Freddies (S. First)
Ego's (S.Congress)
Woody's South
Stubbs
Antones (far enough away from the college action)

I never venture on 6th St. when I'm in town visiting and I always manage to see and hear great country music within the city limits.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 PM

To clarify...I agree with you re: 6th St and college kids, but there are other options for older adults for entertainment and great music. I am out every night of the week when I'm in town.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies. We're not necessarily looking for museums, although they are nice, but Saturday afternoon outdoor drinking is a must for us

Another quick question, is the city pedestrian-friendly at all?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:57 PM

There is Freddies (S. First)...great outdoor venue with music and decent food. There are other options as well for outdoors...just have to think

Old 04-23-2008, 06:08 PM

746 posts, read 3,719,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I disagree...there are lots of adult entertainment that doesn't focus on the college kids or 6th Street!
There is:
The Broken Spoke (Lamar)
Ginny's Little Longhorn Saloon (Burnet)
Freddies (S. First)
Ego's (S.Congress)
Woody's South
Stubbs
Antones (far enough away from the college action)

I never venture on 6th St. when I'm in town visiting and I always manage to see and hear great country music within the city limits.
Stubbs is great, but its in the red river district, prob the most obnoxious part of the college kid scene....Egos has a nice open mike poetry thing on Tuesdays, and is mellow the rest of the week, Antones is the best club in Austin, with ConClub vastly overrated.....the size alone blows away CC. Broken Spoke is more of a Travelogue than a regular hangout for yuppies, though it is a hoot to check it out once in a while. It is a very hard core country dance club. Outside of country music, and alt rock, still not much of a scene for someone over 30 that wants to get away from the frat boy atmosphere that permeates much of the central district on week-ends.And the places that say they are for older adults, like Speakeasy, are full of obnoxious college kids as well.....give it 5 years, and there will be plenty for over 30's to do, especially couples things. The newcomers will simply demand it, and if there is money to be made, surely something will fill in that
vacuum.

http://www.therockgarage.com/cart/images/audioimages/TheDrunks-13floor.jpg (broken link)
http://www.dennismansker.com/blogimages/jennabushdrunk.jpg (broken link)

Even the brats from the white house get loaded on 6th st! Like father, like daughter...Jenna still hasn't gotten her
first DUI yet, but the world waits in anticipation....my odds? 3-1. Would a trooper be stupid enough to write
her up on it? Perhaps, if he was a democrat, and didn't mind looking for alternative employment!
http://zoeflower.com/images/small/funny-drunks.jpg (broken link)

Wait a sec, how the hell did Otis get in here?

This would pretty much be the demographic you'd be partying with on 6th on weekends!

Huts hamburger.......guaranteed to bring your BAC down .5 percent......eat before you drive....drunk!

former 6th street denizen and partier, now quietly retired with pet

Last edited by scongress1234; 04-23-2008 at 06:37 PM..

Old 04-23-2008, 06:21 PM

I love country music, so Ginny's and the Spoke are my favorite places to frequent. I also love the Continental Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin