Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 11:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Unfortunately Zyrtec is the only thing that really helps me and I've grown a resistance to it. I have to take 2 pills per day (usually at night) as 1 no longer phases me. When I get really bad I can go up to about 5 - 6 pills per day and am usually a living misery. Even Benadryl no longer makes me drowsy like it used to. I've dealt with seasonal allergies ever since I moved south though. Atlanta was the worst come this time of year, Austin however is pretty rough as well as I wasn't expecting to get hammered in mid winter. So far the only places I've lived in and had a break from it were Chicago and Seattle.

I also have chronic bronchitis and get an occasional dry cough of which I try to hide when Im in public.
Pretty sure most of that Atlanta pollen is getting washed away right now!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 11:43 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Pretty sure most of that Atlanta pollen is getting washed away right now!!!
Yeah briefly... ...then after the rain the trees just explode into green snow covering everything in creation

fogging up the air in green fog you can actually see:

trying to breath feeling gritty pollen crawling down your throat. courosing in sneezing agony and burning red eyes all the live long day!

Okay it's time for me to take my zyrtecs before I head to bed. I had a sneeze attack just remembering those times.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:33 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Holy guacamole!!!!
I do remember those days of the tennis courts being the exact color of the ball!!!

Old 04-20-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Holy guacamole!!!!
I do remember those days of the tennis courts being the exact color of the ball!!!
Yeah, Austin has tough allergies too and it was tougher than I expected out of central Texas but I've still seen far worse.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:46 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yeah but there are costs to that positive. What will happen to the office market? How about the workers who maintain and support those office spaces? The people that sell or lease them out? Or furnish them?

It will also mean higher utility bills for WFH employees...

There are costs to the real estate and property management markets, but to the employers those are positives too. They will need to rent/purchase less square footage for employees. As far as utility bills, I am more than happy to pay a higher electric bill if it means I don't have to go to an office every day. Ditto for the internet service needed to work from home. Its a win-win for both me and my employer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Fuddy duddy, archaic, micro-managing control freaks like to keep their employees under a magnifying glass. Even now while we work from home, our manager watches us like a hawk on Skype. LOL She's an overpaid timekeeper. Ridiculous.

Ah, the old green/yellow/red status indicators on Skype. I know them well.

The person you described shouldn't be a manager. She sounds more like a shift supervisor at a fast food restaurant. Managers should be worried about results and end product, not the nitty-gritty details of how someone made the sausage. Most of us have probably worked with people who stayed later at the office than necessary because they wasted most of their time all day. Staying at work a long time doesn't necessarily reflect high productivity.

I do think some of this paradigm shift is generational in nature. My dad comes from a generation where it was important for the boss to see how early you arrived and how late you stayed each day. Us "lazy" Gen-Xers and millennials don't have much use for that mentality.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
There are costs to the real estate and property management markets, but to the employers those are positives too. They will need to rent/purchase less square footage for employees. As far as utility bills, I am more than happy to pay a higher electric bill if it means I don't have to go to an office every day. Ditto for the internet service needed to work from home. Its a win-win for both me and my employer.

The person you described shouldn't be a manager. She sounds more like a shift supervisor at a fast food restaurant. Managers should be worried about results and end product, not the nitty-gritty details of how someone made the sausage. Most of us have probably worked with people who stayed later at the office than necessary because they wasted most of their time all day. Staying at work a long time doesn't necessarily reflect high productivity.

I do think some of this paradigm shift is generational in nature. My dad comes from a generation where it was important for the boss to see how early you arrived and how late you stayed each day. Us "lazy" Gen-Xers and millennials don't have much use for that mentality.

About 30 years back I worked for an attorney in Austin. At that time, attorney's offices were frantic, long hours with overtime 7 days a week, places to work. The attorney I worked for figured if you had to do that, and couldn't go home at 5 to be with your family most nights, something was wrong and you needed help - either assistance in organizing better or the firm needed more people if there really was that much work. I worked for him and his name was on the door. I could get the work he needed done done within a 6 hour day and I had a kid in kindergarten and one a Senior in high school in schools across town from each other, so he adjusted my schedule with the understanding that if the work couldn't get done in that period of time, we'd have to add hours. Never did have to. That was pre-internet but he was thinking forward to how the developments then would impact the business, as well.

If only all bosses cared about the work getting done more than how long it took to do it!

Old 04-22-2020, 12:07 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:

I'm so glad to see others understand. It's unfortunate my manager doesn't. Just for some background info, my manger was passed over many times for a promotion. Our director saw right through her shenanigans and knew she would not make a good manager, so her promotion was blocked several times. It wasn't until we got a new director, who didn't know any better, that the shift supervisor at a fast food restaurant got promoted to manager. BIG mistake.

I've stayed put because of the proximity to my daughter's school and a few other conveniences. If WFH ever becomes a long term thing, I might be able to tolerate the nonsense. Otherwise, I will bounce when the opportunity presents itself.

Maybe you can take my manager's spot?

Old 04-24-2020, 01:48 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
We've only used a bit more than a quarter tank of gas since March 15th! it is unbelievable. We used to use a full tank every 10 days. Haven't been on 35 since that day either.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:54 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:

All you have to do is move your mouse and it updates it to green, by the way...

Old 04-24-2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
We've only used a bit more than a quarter tank of gas since March 15th! it is unbelievable. We used to use a full tank every 10 days. Haven't been on 35 since that day either.
You can fill up for like $10- $15 now if you use 87 octane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin