Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 06:28 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Without traffic or in peak Corona traffic maybe, but it could take 25-30 minutes to get from ikea to 45 even on a Saturday. I don’t even want to think of what it looks like on a weekday.

There are plenty of places along 35 between mopac to Cameron road within a $1200 budget. I lived in one and I see people rent them all the time. Further north 78753 and 78758/57 (But check the area crime maps) are areas within the $1200 budget and are far north Austin and a bit more bearable than RR.
I was meaning how much time he would save by moving to Pfugerville in comparison to Round Rock or Georgetown. Those times would be how much he may SAVE by choosing Pfugerville, not how much it takes to get from RR or Georgetown to Downtown. I particularly don't consider Austin's traffic to be as terrible as some say but I-35 holds the exception... I wouldn't recommend living off of it and commuting to Downtown unless you live pretty close to it.

Quote:
Let the record show, it was not me who suggested a search.
You were probably biting your tongue and foaming at the mouth though

j/k

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-22-2020 at 06:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 10:56 AM

7 posts, read 6,171 times
Thanks for the helpful advice, will definitely add Pflugerville to the list with it being closer

Old 05-24-2020, 07:21 AM

295 posts, read 143,482 times
my son lives 8 miles from downtown work location and takes up to 1 hour to get home - downtown job will be a nightmare commute unless you have flex hours -and way up in round rock you are looking at 1.5 or longer - you better come out for a few days and drive it yourself - even with the slow down to get a feel

Old 05-26-2020, 06:31 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,124,153 times
I know you said you arent concerned about nightlife, but Im personally recommending the east side for people without kids. The east side is rapidly gentrifying and all the cool new restaurants are opening. With corona virus rents will be dropping. I think you will be able to find something a lot closer in for 1200.

You will have a 10 minute commute to downtown and if you live close to plaza saltillo you can take the train in for one stop and then take a scooter if the scooter companies survive.

Depending on how large of a place you need you might find something a lot closer in.

Look at austinhomesearch.com and then ask about specific areas.

Im seeing places in north lamar, wooten, decker lake, east riverside, and sunset valley (I did <1200, >= 2 br, >=2ba). All of those would have a 15 minute commute door to door.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:18 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post

Im seeing places in north lamar, wooten, decker lake, east riverside, and sunset valley (I did <1200, >= 2 br, >=2ba). All of those would have a 15 minute commute door to door.
Have you checked the crime rates/cultural make-up/general upkeep of many of these areas? Would you live there as a new Austinite? North Lamar (Rundberg)/Wooten is full of complexes built in the 80s that haven’t been flipped/remodeled yet. The crime is high for Austin standards. If I HAD to live in that area I might be able to handle it, but I’m a social worker and my tolerance for unkept is pretty high. I was talking to a guy who luces at the Breakers on riverside right by the trail a while back. He is from Chicago and a big muscle-y guy. He has a bat at his front door and won’t walk to the Riverside/pleasant Valley HEB because he’s afraid of the homeless guys. The area on Decker is borderline rural and there’s like three complexes in the area. And you have to drive to manor/290 to get to an HEB. Sunset valley is the only viable option, in your list, and those complexes are much like the ones on Lamar, maybe a tad safer.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:04 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Quote:
Have you checked the crime rates/cultural make-up/general upkeep of many of these areas? Would you live there as a new Austinite? North Lamar (Rundberg)/Wooten is full of complexes built in the 80s that haven’t been flipped/remodeled yet. The crime is high for Austin standards. If I HAD to live in that area I might be able to handle it, but I’m a social worker and my tolerance for unkept is pretty high. I was talking to a guy who luces at the Breakers on riverside right by the trail a while back. He is from Chicago and a big muscle-y guy. He has a bat at his front door and won’t walk to the Riverside/pleasant Valley HEB because he’s afraid of the homeless guys. The area on Decker is borderline rural and there’s like three complexes in the area. And you have to drive to manor/290 to get to an HEB. Sunset valley is the only viable option, in your list, and those complexes are much like the ones on Lamar, maybe a tad safer.
I have never considered Sunset Valley to be dangerous in the least, although I have never lived there. Have had many friends/acquaintances over the years that have lived there, though, and I am in that area regularly. I did live off North Lamar many years ago and it was pretty rough. Crime was not a daily occurrence, more of an hourly thing. It may have gotten better over the years, though, I don't know.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:24 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I have never considered Sunset Valley to be dangerous in the least, although I have never lived there. Have had many friends/acquaintances over the years that have lived there, though, and I am in that area regularly. I did live off North Lamar many years ago and it was pretty rough. Crime was not a daily occurrence, more of an hourly thing. It may have gotten better over the years, though, I don't know.
I don’t consider sunset valley as unsafe. North Lamar is still unsafe.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:47 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Quote:
I don’t consider sunset valley as unsafe. North Lamar is still unsafe.
Was responding to the comment that Sunset Valley apartments were 'a tad safer'. I would say much more than a tad .

Old 05-26-2020, 10:05 AM

242 posts, read 206,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Was responding to the comment that Sunset Valley apartments were 'a tad safer'. I would say much more than a tad .
Sunset Valley is a separate city from Austin, and is safer than the areas around it because of their policies. The whole Ben White / Lamar/ Packsaddle/ Westgate area has been ruined by Austin Mayor Adler and Council Member Kitchen's pro-homeless policies. The decay is creeping west along Highway 71 now into Oak Hill.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:54 AM

483 posts, read 532,443 times
To chime in on Sunset Valley, many of the foreign IT workers I have worked with move into Sunset Valley specifically because they feel safe there and is close to downtown. I mention the foreign aspect because I think it speaks to an even higher level of concern then most native born Americans, I know when I am in a foreign country it's not as easy for me to identify truly bad areas as it is for somebody who is from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin