Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:31 PM

7 posts, read 24,883 times

Advertisements

Which coffeehouses in Austin are the best? I used to live in Seattle, and I miss great neighborhood coffee houses like Cafe Ladro, and others in Wallingford and Capitol Hill, and elsewhere, where the people were friendly, the coffee wasn't burnt, and the DSL access was reasonably priced (cheaper than Starbutts).

Good coffeehouses to me are:

(a) Not named Starbutts;

(b) Have cheap high-speed internet access (dare I dream of free access?);

(b) Have good hot chocolate (addict) or the occasional beer, should I feel frisky;

(c) Are comfortable places to relax, and aren't too snooty or overly trendy;

(d) Are places where the music isn't so loud that I can't do some light reading, but isn't so dull that I fall asleep;

(e) Are good for people watching and possibly the nice random conversation;

(f) Might be located downtown or nearly campus, but don't necessarily have to be (have car, will travel);

If you know of any coffee shops that fit some of these criteria, I would love your ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 01:46 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
It's been through some changes but I still like Halcyon. You seriously can't beat tableside smores.... I liked it better when it was more coffee and less lounge - but what can ya do.

The coffee is still good (not Vivace good, but still) and the place is comfortable. Being in the Warehouse district, also makes for a good mix of people and fun watching.

Halcyon Coffeehouse - Austin TX - Coffee Houses & Tea Rooms - (512) 472-9637 - Open List
Halcyon Coffeehouse Austin, Downtown | Yelp

Old 04-27-2008, 02:01 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
These are the ones I frequent(not in any order). There are many in Austin but these are the ones in my general neighborhood(anywhere from 0-2 miles):

1. Summer Moon- excellent coffee(wood-fired), nice decor
2. Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse - good coffee, excellent outdoor space, funky and hip atmosphere(too much at times)
3. Green Muse - not too impressed with the coffee but my wife said the Chai was good. They also have beer and wine so...Cool space in an uncool strip mall.
4. Cafe Caffeine - The worst name ever. Coffee isn't always even, but decent food/snack options, nice little stage and GREAT decor. Very laid back and is a good place to work.
5. Garden District Coffehouse - Good coffee. Right in front of the Great Outdoors nursery. Nice place to sit on a nice day.
6. Jo's - Good coffee but a little too effin' cool for my taste sometimes. Usually filled with folks too hip for anyone's good. Strictly an outdoor place.
7. Flipnotics - Cool place with funky DIY vibe.
8. Austin Java - Great spot with a lot of seating options, in/out. I've heard some very good jazz on Sundays. A lot of eating options as well.
9. Fairbean Coffee - Haven't spent too much time here, but there seem to be a lot of bean options.
10. Mozart's - This place is out of our immediate jurisdiction but is right on Lake Austin and so it has great scenery. They have a desert display that's totally amazing and over-the-top.

All of these places have good WiFi.

Last edited by twange; 04-27-2008 at 02:52 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 02:09 PM

7 posts, read 24,883 times
You guys are great ... feeling like I'm going to fit in well in Austin.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:15 PM

72 posts, read 198,300 times
Epoch (Epoch Coffee - Open 24 Hours) Northloop area, feels like old school Austin to me
Clementine (Clementine Coffee Bar: Manor Rd Austin TX, free wifi, happy hour, and 2 dollar draft beer tuesdays : Welcome) Cherrywood area
Progress (Progress Coffee :: Austin, TX) East Austin
Cafe Medici (Caffé Medici | Welcome) Clarksville

Old 04-27-2008, 02:25 PM

746 posts, read 3,726,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carthage56 View Post
You guys are great ... feeling like I'm going to fit in well in Austin.
You will......and you will enjoy the people watching more than the outdoor and rooftop bars, which are usually full of college kids. Coffeehouses are the best, and you can read or write at ease. great places to just read the paper or a good book, besides the great conversations with friends.

And yes, Starbucks is indeed evil!

Our Menu :: Wood Fired Coffee :::: Austin, Texas

Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse - Peeps (broken link)

Cafe Caffeine: events (http://cafecaffeine.com/events - broken link)

Flipnotics & Satellite Cafe ~ It's All Good!

Last edited by scongress1234; 04-27-2008 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 03:33 PM

Not necessarily for the atmosphere, but for a unique coffee experience - Texpresso is not to be missed if you truly love coffee.

News 8 Austin | 24 Hour Local News | LOCAL NEWS (http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=149400 - broken link)

Texspresso - Austin, TX

Old 04-27-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
6. Jo's - Good coffee but a little too effin' cool for my taste sometimes. Usually filled with folks too hip for anyone's good. Strictly an outdoor place.
a MUST GO for their iced coffee concoction!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:38 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
a MUST GO for their iced coffee concoction!!!
Yea, their drinks are pretty good! It's gettin' about that time for iced coffee drinks isn't it?

Old 04-27-2008, 03:44 PM

I think it's the Turbo that I like - and with pellet ice? You can't go wrong....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin