Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,605,560 times

Advertisements

That's an excellent idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 01:32 AM

33 posts, read 160,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You know, "Operation Brisket" should be about finding off-the-radar BBQ joints that are really good... every thread mentions places like Salt Lick, Rudy's, IronWorks, County Line, all the Lockhart places, etc. How about some love for the B-list or undiscovered BBQ joints? For example, there is a little place just about a half a mile past the County Line on the Hill (Bee Caves Rd). I've been to the County line many times, but never tried the little place up the road... has anyone here tried it, or even remember what it is called?
Sssshhhh....don't tell anyone but Chiefs on South 1st looks horrid but the food is fab.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,217,229 times
Buster's on 620. And you can get a bowl of pretty good gumbo there, too.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:23 AM

31 posts, read 116,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Save yourself some time, just head out to your local Rudy's! I had all sorts of BBQ / brisket around the Austin / Burnet area and to me, RUDYs fits perfect and the best thing about it, you don't have to drive out to far to get it!
I have not had any brisket better then theirs yet!
But isn't Rudy's more famous for their BBQ sauce? I've used it to enhance mediocre or brisket cooked all day in a Crockpot with much success. I thought the BBQ at Rudy's by itself was average IMHO. The best BBQ I had recently (no sauce needed) was Cousins BBQ in Ft. Worth. Brisket smoked for a least 36 hours and a family run business. Has anyone else been there?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,990,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitchen View Post
Sssshhhh....don't tell anyone but Chiefs on South 1st looks horrid but the food is fab.
That's great to know. I occasionally drive up S. 1st and have wondered about it. It always looks busy.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:31 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,027,486 times
Quote:
But isn't Rudy's more famous for their BBQ sauce?
Rudy's is fairly consistantly good brisket - if you get the moist. Any other version is hit or miss... and occasionally even the moist will be a miss. When Rudy's is a miss, it's a really bad miss... but thankfully, it's a rare occurance. They also have good sides, and the kids love their sausages.

I have mentioned it before, but Johnny T's Round Rock BBQ is a hidden gem!! Johnny T is the previous executive chef from Main Street Grill, who, last fall, went out on his own and purchased Round Rock BBQ - so new, owner, new style. Excellent brisket, and the tamale casserole is a must try!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,990,062 times
Quite honestly, no brisket in the city limits can compare to John Mueller's who used to be on Manor Rd. However, he BBQ's at a bar downtown on his mobile rig once a week supposedly. I can't remember which one it is...maybe Opal Devine's?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:35 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,217,229 times
To me, Rudy's is a chain and not really representative of good Central Texas 'cue. But BBQ is such a subjective topic!

Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,027,486 times
It definitely is a chain, but a small one.... as such, that's why it's usually consistant. It's pretty good in my opinion... and does the job if you don't have time to drive out to Lockhart and Driftwood, or even into downtown.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:00 AM

15,242 posts, read 35,458,827 times
I think I have different places that I prefer different things. I like Rudy's sauce and their smoked turkey, I dislike their sausage, and the brisket is average to good. I like the Salt licks brisket, but dislike their sauce. I like Poke-e-Joes sausage much better than anywhere else, and like their sides (yeah, that isn't BBQ). Can't afford County Line or Iron Works on a regular enough basis to rate em - BBQ should NOT be high dollar, even if it is not cheap .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin