U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM

27 posts, read 76,335 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer suggestions on where to eat if you're vegetarian? I LOVE FOOD, but don't eat meat (eggs/dairy ok). Any thoughts? I will be moving to Austin soon and would love to make a list of the 'must visit' places. It seems like maybe it will be tough since Austin seems to be known for BBQ, Tex-Mex etc.....I love mexican food, but it can be tough to get true vegetarian mexican. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:59 AM

971 posts, read 1,911,262 times
Here are some places for you to check out:

Veggie Heaven (on campus)
Mr. Natural (mexican vegetarian) - two locations
Bombay Express, Swad, and Madras Pavilion - all indian vegetarian
Mothers Cafe - in hyde park (i think this is still open)

There are lots of vegetarians in austin, so I think you'll be surprised at the number of establishments that at least have vegetarian options.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:05 PM

16 posts, read 96,479 times
I think you'll find that finding vegetarian options in Austin is far easier than you might think.

Listing a few options that I often take my mother or neice too:

Casa de Luz :: Vegan :: Macrobiotic :: Organic

Magnolia Cafes, Austin, TX

Mother's Cafe & Garden

Kerbey Lane Cafe - 24 hour dining at Kerbey Lane Cafe Austin Texas

Also, I found this guide . .has lots of other options. Really MANY of the mainstream restaurants offer some type of vegetarian option.

Vegetarian Guide: Austin Vegetarian Restaurants (descriptions)

Hope that helps!

Old 04-28-2008, 09:32 PM
McJ

130 posts, read 294,743 times
Here's a few more:
Bouldin Creek Bouldin Creek Coffeehouse - Menu (broken link)
Dhaba Joy MySpace.com - Dhaba Joy Cafe - 24 - Female - AUSTIN, US - www.myspace.com/dhaba_joy
Tom's Tabooley Tom's Tabooley (http://www.tomstabooley.com/menu.html#sandwiches - broken link)
Koriente Welcome to Koriente
Magnolia Magnolia Cafes, Austin, TX

and here's a good message board for local veggies Vegans Rock Austin!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 AM

WOW! This is great! Thanks for the info everyone. Keep the suggestions coming! I'm getting hungry just thinking about all these great places.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 AM

17 posts, read 30,631 times
My wife and I are both vegetarian and just visited and I'm confident you'll have no problems eating at most places. We even saw some vegetarian BBQ, although I didn't try it. Even if a restaurant isn't completely vegetarian, there were usually quite a few options on the menu.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 PM

19 posts, read 36,910 times
And let's not forget the incredible Whole Foods market. They have more vegetarian food than anyone, from eat-in to take-out, to packaged. Excellent selection, and good stuff. I am vegetarian (also not vegan), and this place is like paradise.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:23 PM

485 posts, read 1,320,149 times
If you want veggie Mex - Trudy's has some good dishes!..and they have a lot of bean options so you don't have to eat refried or borracho beans (ones with meat in them) - you can get black or pinto. Can't say that their salads are outstanding, but the cheese enchiladas (among other things) are great!!

Old 05-28-2008, 01:11 AM

605 posts, read 600,679 times
For Ethiopian deliciousness, I highly recommend Aster's Cafe.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderin' Will View Post
And let's not forget the incredible Whole Foods market. They have more vegetarian food than anyone, from eat-in to take-out, to packaged. Excellent selection, and good stuff. I am vegetarian (also not vegan), and this place is like paradise.

Yeah, we have Whole Foods here, and also Trader Joe's, both of which I frequent. But I hear that the Austin Whole Foods is the mother of all Whole Foods.......I can't wait to shop there.....is there just the one location or are there a few locations? In Annapolis we have like two or three across town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin