Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:38 PM

13 posts, read 54,385 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are playing to visit Austin within the next 2-3 weeks. Any suggestions on where we should stay to get the full experience of Austin..the hotels that I've looked at have been in Central Austin and Downtown...what's the difference? We are looking to live in the city so we definitely want to stay in hotel that will be kinda of convenient to apts. for apt shopping and then some real shopping and you know and all the other fun stuff!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 04:51 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,084,598 times
Stay at the Hotel San Jose.
Order Mud at Magnolia.
Run/walk around Town Lake. Buy running shoes at Run Tex.
If the weather permits, swim in Barton Springs and hike the Greenbelt.
Drink a 'rita a Chuy's on Barton Springs. Bonus points for a Lance sighting.
Grab coffee at Spider House, Sweetish Hill and Uppercrust.
Visit the big shine-y new Whole Foods, but don't forget Central Market and Wheatsville. Definitely hit Book People and Whole Earth.
Split a bottle of wine atop Mt Bonnell.

I'm sure other, current residents, can give you more dining and nightlife tips.
Have fun

Old 12-27-2006, 06:08 PM

92 posts, read 760,489 times
I like to go to the Hula Hut too!

Old 12-27-2006, 11:30 PM

15 posts, read 51,866 times
is that the yuppie tour??.....screw that.....go to beerland and see some rockabilly......goto an alex jones rally....go get drunk at alamo drafthouse while watchin a movie....listen to radio free austin.....go hug a bum at there shiny bum center on 8th street(for you ultra lib types)....go say HI to one of the roid head cops on 6th street...(without getting maced)go have a beer at the Jackalope(you can still smoke there).....go ride on our brand new plethora of toll roads( on existing roads we allready paid for).....go see jimmy vaughn play a texas toll-party benifet......go see the best christmas light show in town on 37th and guadalupe.....walk down the drag and keep track of how many drag-worms ask you for money or a cigarette(or both) keep track....its FUN!.....the yuppie austin tour is just so BORING!

Old 12-27-2006, 11:37 PM

oh i almost forgot go set a 6 pack of lonestar at the burnt rubble that used to be the Black Cat lounge ...RIP black cat

Old 12-28-2006, 07:53 AM

92 posts, read 760,489 times
I also like the Mean-Eyed Cat. It's fun.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:51 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,084,598 times
LoL the "yuppie tour"...yeah I guess it kinda is.
Must say I've never been accused of being a "yuppie" though. Ever. Hmmm. Part of growing old?

I assumed, based on the fact that odd2007 is coming with his/her fiance, that they might be past the whole 6th Street/Dragworm-bait age (but I could be wrong!)

Old 12-28-2006, 10:32 AM

haha....well i guess it beats lattes at starbucks

Old 12-29-2006, 07:20 PM

13 posts, read 54,385 times
Are you kidding!!! Starbucks is to me what Central Perk was to the cast of Friends!!! Just kidding..(I know that was corny), I felt the need to be a little dramatic!LOL It all sounds to go me...just to give you some insight we are both 28y.o. we have had the whole party, college, and binge drinking exp...I definitely did, it took 6 years to get a degree! No fun lost here!! We are right in btw yuppies and whatever else there is...meaning some nights its all about a 6pk of beer, nachos, and football...other nights...it's all about its about hanging out...good atmosphere, good music, good fun...somewhere young professionals (no college kids) can go and blow off some steam. Somewhere I can get a good Pitcher of Sangria on a Friday night!!!

For guys out there...for the record I make THE BEST SuperBowl Chili!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2006, 04:01 PM

944 posts, read 3,946,284 times
GREAT responses so far! All I want to do is second the post by plaidmom: Stay at the San Jose. If you can't afford it, then stay at the Motel Austin or Austin Motel or whatever it's called --- also on south Congress, close to the San Jose and walking distance to downtown.

All the different suggestions made by people so far are great for covering a part of the spectrum of what makes Austin a fun city. But we really don't need more yuppies.... the weirder you are, the better. And remember, don't mess with Texas! Drive friendly, pick up your litter, respect cultural and political diversity, and have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: