U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2008, 01:56 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
10,951 posts, read 7,471,911 times
Are you permitted to screw the pallets to the floor of the pod? Gosh, I have a lot of things that would devastate me if they broke. They are irreplaceable items. Now I'm thinking I should just put everything into storage here in Pittsburgh and then fly up and rent a truck and drive it back down when I am ready to settle permanently.

Here lies the problem...I am doing travel nurse positions for at least 1-2 years and the co. might not always have a travel nurse position in Austin, so I might have to take an assignment in San Antonio or Dallas/Ft.Worth. That is why I don't want to move everything down at the beginning, especially if I'm moving all over the state every 13 weeks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 AM

424 posts, read 980,936 times
If you screw it down they might charge you a repair fee if you don't hide the holes after you empty it with maybe wood putty.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
If you screw it down they might charge you a repair fee if you don't hide the holes after you empty it with maybe wood putty.
Oh the bottom of the pods are wood? I thought the whole thing was metal.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:49 AM

424 posts, read 980,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
Oh the bottom of the pods are wood? I thought the whole thing was metal.
No wood bottom, roof and sides plastic, beer can front door sheet metal
Move that door to fast and it will jump off it track

Old 05-16-2008, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerwife View Post
Has anyone used PODS (or similar type storage)? We are looking to store household for 3 months while house is being built. Interested in good/bad experiences.
We used Pods to store some household items at their facility while we were trying to sell our house. We were very happy with the price and how everything was handled. When they delivered the pod back to be unloaded after about 3 mos. in storage, everything was in the same condition. I would recommend them.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmg4 View Post
We used Pods to store some household items at their facility while we were trying to sell our house. We were very happy with the price and how everything was handled. When they delivered the pod back to be unloaded after about 3 mos. in storage, everything was in the same condition. I would recommend them.
Well this is certainly encouraging. Could you give me any tips on how you packed the pod?

Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,579 times
My wife and I have used PODS twice and loved it each time. We didn't have any damage to our belongings and being able to load the POD directly outside our garage was fantastic! During our second use of PODS we filled one to reduce our clutter to stage the home and kept our goods in storage until our old house sold and our new home was ready. Our house wasn't ready when it was supposed to be and we just called the 800 number and they simply postponed the delivery. That flexibility really reduced our moving stress. Being in the oil industry I've had to relocate a number of times and PODS is by far the best way. I did make sure that all of our belongings were strapped down and packed well. During our first move I WAS annoyed that they arrived two hours after their forecasted time but obviously I wasn't too mad because I used them again. In our opinion the convenience is well worth it.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,579 times
I was surprised that the POD container had wooden sides too. But then I discovered there was a reason. You don't want an all metal container for moving household stuff because the metal sweats and the condensation can cause mold. That's why the sides are marine plywood covered by an aluminum skin. Pretty cool!

Old 12-14-2008, 01:13 PM

59 posts, read 158,936 times
The PODS containers are sort of weak. If they are going to store your POD for any period of time, pay the $10 per month to insure THEIR container. When we had our pod transported, one of the warehouses stuck a fork lift blade into the top plastic part of the pod. When it rained, some of our wood furniture got soaked. I was told that if I didn't have the insurance, they would have charged me to repair their pod, even though they were the ones that damaged it and messed up my stuff.

I worked with their risk management group to negotiate repairs for the items that were damaged. It took a while, but I got my check.

PS: If you are going to use PODS, give them Promo Code:RMAX for 10% off Local Moving/Storage & 5% off Long Distance Moves. If they ask, tell them your real estate agent gave it to you. http://www.pods.com/REMAX/ (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick77469 View Post
I was surprised that the POD container had wooden sides too. But then I discovered there was a reason. You don't want an all metal container for moving household stuff because the metal sweats and the condensation can cause mold. That's why the sides are marine plywood covered by an aluminum skin. Pretty cool!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM

3 posts, read 27,668 times
I have personally used PODS for both storage and then one time when I was moving and both times I had a great experience with them. Nothing was broken which is what I was really worried about. I would recommend using them,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin