Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:08 PM

97 posts, read 431,824 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My wife & I will be heading down to Austin to do some house shopping on May 17 & 18. We've got a laundry list of potential questions, but I wanted to survey the "experts" here to see what they think are the top 3-to-5 questions that should be asked (and answered) before considering the purchase of a home in Austin. For purposes of this list, I'd like to skip the REALLY obvious ones like: 1) what are the taxes; 2) how's the school system; and is there a HOA, since we'll probably have general answers to these questions before we even get there.

During this trip, we're looking at houses in the following areas: River Place, Steiner Ranch, Lake Travis, Bee Cave, and a couple in Eanes (pardon any mispellings or goofs here since I'm just going from my Monday morning memory)

Thanks in advance for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 12:56 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Maybe ask:
How long a commute to where I work?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
If it's in a new development, I'd ask if they allow sales to investors and if so what percentage of sales have been to investors.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:02 PM

4 posts, read 37,508 times
Flood Insurance?

Old 05-05-2008, 02:08 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
Could you list the questions you've already come up with? I'm going to be in Austin the 17-21!

Old 05-05-2008, 02:39 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,219 times
If you see any green areas surrounding you, ask what is going to be built there? Of course if they know and its a negative, they will pretend not to know, or worse they will lie and say 'It's greenbelt'. If they don't know they will also say the same thing. The best way if you are really serious about a place, is to go to the City of Austin zoning offices and talk to a representative in person and look at a map of the surroundings to find out what projects have been approved or what's been proposed.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 PM

97 posts, read 431,824 times
Default My short list of questions

Here are several of the questions we've come up with (in no particular order):

1) Is listed property tax based on current (especially if in Leander) appraisal? Homestead exemption? Is person living there currently getting any special discount on tax that I won't get (over X age, or certain disability I think gets a discount).

2) What is commute time in "standard" v. "rush-hour" traffic?

3) If the property doesn't have a 3-car garage, will HOA allow a storage/utility shed? If so, what is application/approval process?

4) What are annual water bills?

5) Could a pool be built on this property in the future? (Apparently some locations that are very close to the bedrock just can't have pools built on them w/out EXTREEM cost) We don't want a pool right now, but would like to know we could get one in the future if we wanted.

6) How far away are the schools? Are new ones being built? If so, where?

7) Flood zone? (I don't think this is the case with most of the places we're looking at since most are in "hill country", but worth checking)

Those are the main ones I can think of right now... I know there are probably a bunch more that my wife has in her head, but these are the only ones I remember talking about recently.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:26 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
1. Are HOA fees monthly or annual and what do they cover?

2. Is property in a MUD district? How is the MUD rated? Have the MUD portion of the property taxes gone up or down over the last few years.

3. How far is the property from key services (shopping, schools, churches, doctors, etc.)

4. What are the neighbors like? What community social events are sponsored on an annual basis?

Old 05-05-2008, 04:09 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by three_fish View Post

Those are the main ones I can think of right now... I know there are probably a bunch more that my wife has in her head, but these are the only ones I remember talking about recently.
Thanks ThreeFish (and others). I'll be watching this thread with great interest!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:03 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,185 times
How many days has the property been on the market? If over XX days, why?

How many other nearby properties are on the market? Average number of days?

How many neighbors are homeowners versus renters?

Is the neighborhood currently appreciating or depreciating?

Has the seller had and reacted to a recent Home Inspection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin