U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 04:42 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,576,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I wouldn't be shocked to find high density being 'a' driver in spread, but I heavily doubt its 'the' driver in spread in Texas
To be clear, it's not density per se, but overcrowded housing. SF is the 2nd most densely populated city in the country, but has just a 3.4% positive test rate. It has one of the lowest levels of overcrowded housing in the state. Meanwhile, San Joaquin County in the Central Valley, which is one of the worst for overcrowded housing has a positivity rate of approx 14%. Similar situation in Imperial County, which sits between San Diego and Arizona, as well as the city of Santa Ana in OC, which also has a serious overcrowding problem.

Latinos, who are mostly iikely to live in overcrowded housing, account for over 60% of all cases, while being 40% of California's population. African Americans, who are less likely to live in overcrowded housing than Latinos, account for just 5% of cases. Moreover, counties with heavy agriculture have higher positive test rates because they depend on essential workers, many of whom are Latino immigrants.

This is one reason why outdoor dining bans are doing nothing to slow the virus spread. California state government is remarkably arrogant, and the health director even admitted there's no data to back the restaurant closures.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
19 cases in the UK recently. This new South African variant is described in this presentation: https://www.scribd.com/document/4886...by-SSAK-18-Dec, which cites a paper in Cell (Tyler N et al. 2020).

Scientists noted that the variant contains several mutations that allows it to attach more easily to human cells because of three mutations in the receptor-binding domain (RBD) in the spike glycoprotein of the virus: N501Y[1][4] (a change from asparagine (N) to tyrosine (Y)[5] in amino-acid position 501), K417N, and E484K.[6][7] The N501Y mutation has also been detected in the United Kingdom.[1][8] Two mutations found in 501.v2, E484K and K417N, are not found in VOC-202012/01, also 501.v2 does not have the 69-70del mutation found in VOC-202012/01.[9][4]
It's also a lot easier to develop a grow a new mRNA vaccine in bacteria than a new flu vaccine in eggs. BioNTech claims the mutation's genetic sequence is close enough to the primary strain to retain their vaccine's effectiveness. Either way, the advancements in recent years with mRNA vaccines in general has been a vital part of managing this.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:06 PM

10,670 posts, read 6,021,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
To be clear, it's not density per se, but overcrowded housing. SF is the 2nd most densely populated city in the country, but has just a 3.4% positive test rate. It has one of the lowest levels of overcrowded housing in the state. Meanwhile, San Joaquin County in the Central Valley, which is one of the worst for overcrowded housing has a positivity rate of approx 14%. Similar situation in Imperial County, which sits between San Diego and Arizona, as well as the city of Santa Ana in OC, which also has a serious overcrowding problem.

Latinos, who are mostly iikely to live in overcrowded housing, account for over 60% of all cases, while being 40% of California's population. African Americans, who are less likely to live in overcrowded housing than Latinos, account for just 5% of cases. Moreover, counties with heavy agriculture have higher positive test rates because they depend on essential workers, many of whom are Latino immigrants.

This is one reason why outdoor dining bans are doing nothing to slow the virus spread. California state government is remarkably arrogant, and the health director even admitted there's no data to back the restaurant closures.
Well to be fair it would be good to see true data as to what is causing the spread in Texas as its difficult to accumulate raw data outside of biased news sources. I just personally don't feel that the overcrowding of homes is as prevalent of an issue in Austin or Texas in general as it is in California. Now I'm not saying that its non-existent, it probably is 'an' issue, but not as big of one as it is in the Pacific which kind of makes it hard to say that its the primary driver in spread in TX, I feel that the drivers in spread are different for each region.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:21 PM

9,619 posts, read 12,318,641 times
Quote:
Well to be fair it would be good to see true data as to what is causing the spread in Texas as its difficult to accumulate raw data outside of biased news sources. I just personally don't feel that the overcrowding of homes is as prevalent of an issue in Austin or Texas in general as it is in California. Now I'm not saying that its non-existent, it probably is 'an' issue, but not as big of one as it is in the Pacific which kind of makes it hard to say that its the primary driver in spread in TX, I feel that the drivers in spread are different for each region.
Overcrowding is 1000% an issue in Austin. I work with families daily that live in 2-3 generation households as well as children living with one parent and unrelated roommates. Most of the clusters of families that I have worked with during the pandemic got it from one family member who was an essential employee snd thrn. Thought it home to their vulnerable family member that was staying home. This ends up contributing to lots of general social services needs, even in a non-pandemic time period.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Overcrowding is 1000% an issue in Austin. I work with families daily that live in 2-3 generation households as well as children living with one parent and unrelated roommates. Most of the clusters of families that I have worked with during the pandemic got it from one family member who was an essential employee snd thrn. Thought it home to their vulnerable family member that was staying home. This ends up contributing to lots of general social services needs, even in a non-pandemic time period.
I still feel it’s far more an issue in SF and LA than it is here. Like I stated before I never said it wasn’t an issue here but the Pacific more than likely has it way worse.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I still feel it’s far more an issue in SF and LA than it is here. Like I stated before I never said it wasn’t an issue here but the Pacific more than likely has it way worse.
I think you underestimate how affordable Austin is for lower-skilled and unskilled workers. It is a big issue. But I recognize that you aren't as "in" that type of thing as I am.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I think you underestimate how affordable Austin is for lower-skilled and unskilled workers. It is a big issue. But I recognize that you aren't as "in" that type of thing as I am.
What brings you to that assumption?

I’m speaking logically here. LA is far larger than Austin, by incomparable margins, costs far more than Austin, and bundled housing there is a must to own property for pretty much the average family and in some cases even for high income dwellers. Austin as a whole hasn’t reached that margin yet although it does seem to be on that trajectory.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
What brings you to that assumption?

I’m speaking logically here. LA is far larger than Austin, by incomparable margins, costs far more than Austin, and bundled housing there is a must to own property for pretty much the average family and in some cases even for high income dwellers. Austin as a whole hasn’t reached that margin yet although it does seem to be on that trajectory.
Per capital it’s probably larger. And I’m speaking from personal experience. Until we find days reporting the number of multi-generational or doubled up homes we can go back and forth on this.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
It is. 13% of renter occupied homes are overcrowded in California vs. 7% in Texas.

https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/ame...ffect-children

Old 12-26-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Per capital it’s probably larger. And I’m speaking from personal experience. Until we find days reporting the number of multi-generational or doubled up homes we can go back and forth on this.
Well I apologize if I came off in any way to demean your experience. That isn’t my intention but as someone who has lived in the Pacific region (Seattle) I have seen way worse things than what we have here. For now atleast. I get that it’s a problem here but my point is, it’s a much bigger problem in LA and SF. You do have experience here and that is perfectly understandable as a reputable source but until you have lived in an area where a six figure income basically buys you a box with 4 walls.. ..you haven’t seen how bad it can really get. Not intending to be offense but just poking this from a logical standpoint.

And lastly for the record Ashbeeigh, I’m just as concerned about the affordability of Austin and it’s metro as you are. I’m not out of the rat race just because I’m a high earner. I can easily be replaced especially now that so many techies are moving here and just as quickly as I purchased my house I can also lose it. It’s why I’m constantly studying. This isn’t some sort of free ride for me like you seem to feel that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin