Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 09:49 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Never thought I would see the day where $500k homes in Central Texas is becoming the norm.
When my Dad retired from the Army in 1959 and moved us to Austin, the RE market was quite a bit different.

We house-hunted all over town. Looked at a 5 year old ranch style 2,000 sq/ft house in Tarrytown for $30,000 (too expensive), another ranch style (that’s about all they were building then) with a dual garage/boathouse in West Lake Hills with 100’ of frontage on Lake Austin for $50,000 (WAY too expensive), yet another but more modest one in South Austin 1,500 sq/ft for 15,000.

They settled on this new build just east of I-35 and south of Riverside on Elmhurst - 1,600 sq/ft for $19,500. Dad liked it because it was a straight shot out to Bergstrom AFB and its amenities which were open to all retired military. He sold it for $62,000 after Mom passed in 1992.

http://www.google.com/maps/@30.24250...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 12:07 PM

11,775 posts, read 7,986,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
The greed is absolutely disgusting. So now we live in an environment where the list price is just an entry point. It's manipulation on a grand scale. And don't get me started with these multiple offers / best and final offers by X deadline. Buyers are essentially participating in a blind auction where you're unduly influenced by the RE agent who is telling you, "Hey, there is a lot of interest so make sure your offer is a good one." This RE market is disgusting. I'm so disgusted by the home-buying process that I may end up just renting.

There will be a reckoning. And we're already seeing this reckoning with surging homelessness.

Never thought I would see the day where $500k homes in Central Texas is becoming the norm.
In terms of RE and values, it reminds me a lot of Seattle as that was the norm during the period I lived there between 2011 and 2013. Only thing is, Seattle gradually increased to that price point and kept increasing from that point after I moved but Austin recently shot up to that point, it was about 100k lower before 2020 so it’s difficult to say if it will remain that way.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiveone View Post
I have bid at both Bluffview and Travisso in Jan 2021.

At Bluffiew for 70ft lot (lot 32) - I bid over 200K, but I still did NOT win the bid.

I have also bid for a lot in Travisso for a similar amount and I DID win the bid.

I hate to be buying a house in such a competitive and insane market, but it is what it is.

Hope that helps.
Man that's crazy! Just getting started to know about Travisso and other communities like BluffView. Late to the party

Wondering which lot did you end up getting in Travisso in the recent bidding, since they didn't open up 70s in Jan'21 ?

Old 02-11-2021, 12:27 PM

39 posts, read 63,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolRNG View Post
So just wanna give everyone some new information gathered.

So I got myself on the Toll brothers Naples 70s and Sienna 60s waitlist in October, and at the time I was told there will be a release in January 2021 for about 20 lots, and another release in April for another 20 lots.

Guess what happened just now? I called in on Saturday and found out that there will only be one release now in Feb 2021 for 20 lots, and there are 500 ppl+ on the waitlist, AND the waitlist renews in July of 2021, and without any lot release from October 2020 to January 2021, their house price has gone up almost 100k. OMGGOMGGOMGOMGOGM

So what does that mean??? If you are not top 30 on the current waitlist, you are not getting a house for sure!!! You need to re-sign up on July when the new list comes up and need to wait until December 2021 for a possibility of getting called to buy your house. What does that mean??? price could have gone up another 100k.

So what does it finally mean? so if you did not get your Toll brothers house in October 2020, and you got lucky and get called in October 2021, you need to pay 200k more to just begin the house buying process. Is there no regulation on this????? Please someone offers some help and advice.
I was interested in a house out in Travisso being built by Toll Brothers in the Capri Collection. This house was ~1,900 square feet. About two months ago this home was selling for about 380k. The lots available are <8k square feet. Are you saying that this house is now 580k? That’s insane and unbelievable.

Edit: I just checked the TB website and the minimum price in their Capri Collection starts in the low 400’s. I highly doubt that these tiny lots are selling for 30-50k.

Last edited by Dreamcatcherblanc; 02-11-2021 at 01:11 PM..

Old 02-11-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
This is from a listing not untypical of what's going on north of the city:

"
The builder will be accepting offers until Sunday, February 7th at 3pm on this specific property. All offers to purchase must be signed by 3pm Sunday February 7th. We are scheduling preview appointments during published business hours until 2pm on Sunday February 7th. Please note-due to demand, we anticipate receiving multiple offers on many of our available properties & are advising customers to put forth their highest & best offer for consideration. We are not currently accepting investment purchases or second home purchases at this time. Earnest money of $1,000 (plus the dollar amount offered over list price is required for additional earnest money)

Does this mean that if I already own a home (currently rented out) I’ll be disqualified from buying here? This new home would be a primary residence. Which community and builder stated this policy?

Old 02-11-2021, 12:43 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,541,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcherblanc View Post
Does this mean that if I already own a home (currently rented out) I’ll be disqualified from buying here? This new home would be a primary residence. Which community and builder stated this policy?

I don't know how they could "enforce" this policy. For example, we would be negotiating for the new place while still living in our current home.

I've seen this and similar wording in at least three properties(new construction) on either side of the Ronald Reagan corridor. Crystal Springs is where we were looking with more interest.

Old 02-11-2021, 12:50 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,685,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcherblanc View Post
Sounds like it. And I think this has to do with a capital gains tax issue for the builder.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Sounds like it. And I think this has to do with a capital gains tax issue for the builder.
I think this policy is geared more towards people who are buying a vacation or occasional use home. A primary residence is just that. Regardless of whether you own one home or twenty.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
I don't know how they could "enforce" this policy. For example, we would be negotiating for the new place while still living in our current home.

I've seen this and similar wording in at least three properties(new construction) on either side of the Ronald Reagan corridor. Crystal Springs is where we were looking with more interest.
This is interesting. Are you planning on selling or will you rent out your current home? I’m guessing that the builder is aware that you currently own

Old 02-11-2021, 01:10 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
They are trying to prevent you from buying their property as an investment property and renting it out instead of ever living there. I doubt your situation, as described, would be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin