Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 08:22 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times

Advertisements

Went for a quick walk to the dog park that’s outside my backyard. The dog ran over to the gate and walked very carefully over there. It was for sure slippery and had I just been walking and not prepared I would have fallen.

Today is kind of a bummer of a day for me personally, it would have been Austin marathon weekend this weekend. It was cancelled months ago, but I’m still sort of mourning the loss of the end of what would be an Austin running season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 09:31 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Neighborhood streets here (SW Austin) definitely have large patches of ice on them, and our sidewalk/driveway is a sheet of ice. Not going anywhere .

The precipitation is rain as it falls, then freezes, which is bad - more of a 'black ice' and the trees are taking more loading .

On the bright side, they have raised the projected lows by ~5 degrees and taken about an inch off the precipitation forecast.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:50 AM

11,795 posts, read 8,008,183 times
I have a large patch of ice right in front of my front door and to the driveway. Been having to take careful steps. The side of the driveway where I park my Prius is now covered in ice because I’ve been having to use warm water to melt the ice off of the windshield. Not smart but I don’t have any other way to remove it. I made my last trip outside yesterday. Roads were pretty slick and drivers so casually pull right up to the intersections before stopping. No one leaving any space, everyone trying to do the speed limit.. amazing that there haven’t been more wrecks.

I’m considering going out and getting rubbing alcohol to make my own de-icer. I wasn’t able to find any locally.

As for Covid, I’ve been wondering given the frigid cold if it would beable to transfer easier between people who are close to each other.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:01 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,696,195 times
Why do you need de-icer? Will you really be traveling in the coming days? I know you love to be out, but given how rare this is and how prepared/underprepared we are I don’t think many roads will be driveable anytime soon. I’m sure I won’t change your mind, but just a thought.

I’m glad I told my boss at my part time job that I couldn’t work this weekend (my only weekend off this month because I had planned on an epic run no matter race weekend or not...)

Covid cases should go down given we’ll be all inside for the next week ir so. Unless, families without proper heat end up going to others’ homes to stay warm. The time people are nearby others in the stores shouldn’t be enough time to transmit the virus. Im hoping lines are still being distanced. But, I went out on Friday, not yesterday or today.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:43 AM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I have a large patch of ice right in front of my front door and to the driveway. Been having to take careful steps. The side of the driveway where I park my Prius is now covered in ice because I’ve been having to use warm water to melt the ice off of the windshield. Not smart but I don’t have any other way to remove it. I made my last trip outside yesterday. Roads were pretty slick and drivers so casually pull right up to the intersections before stopping. No one leaving any space, everyone trying to do the speed limit.. amazing that there haven’t been more wrecks.

I’m considering going out and getting rubbing alcohol to make my own de-icer. I wasn’t able to find any locally.

As for Covid, I’ve been wondering given the frigid cold if it would beable to transfer easier between people who are close to each other.
I'd be surprised if you can find rubbing alcohol - what about good old salt? DH already slipped on our driveway today. I understand!

Old 02-14-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
[...]
The bar at Waterloo had a dozen people packed shoulder to shoulder a few days ago. Waterloo closed yesterday at one location and today at all locations, and will likely be close tomorrow. I assume this is representative of a lot of restaurants/bars, and if so, then there will be a lot less spread via that route.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:47 AM

Why are people driving anywhere unless it is critical? I walked down to Escarpment Blvd and it is almost utterly empty and the few cars out there are creeping along at ~15 mph on the ice. They seem to be going to HEB, which is still open at the moment. My walk was very careful and took a while, but much of the sidewalk it below trees and still clear currently.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:37 AM

Walking outside... ...If I go outside it’s going to be between one heated interior to another. I took a brief go at dousing my walkway and driveway with salt as Moonlady suggested. I probably wouldn’t even make it to my mailbox before becoming frozen stiff and blue, nuhuh. I can do summer heat. I can’t do cold though. I even completely forgot about salting surfaces to treat for ice, that’s how quickly I forgot about living up North.

I was shocked that many chains like ChikFilA, Starbucks, McDonalds, ect were still open yesterday. As for driving I won’t be going anywhere Today or Monday, quite probably thru Wednesday.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:14 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,339,664 times
At 7am this morning I drove the wife to church 2 miles away (78717 west of Round Rock) very slowly - 15/20 mph - through neighborhood streets. Lots of thin ice depending on the pavement. Actually slid a little bit turning one corner at 5 mph.

Told her this was not a good idea because Jesus could hear her just fine if she stayed home.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
At 7am this morning I drove the wife to church 2 miles away (78717 west of Round Rock) very slowly - 15/20 mph - through neighborhood streets. Lots of thin ice depending on the pavement. Actually slid a little bit turning one corner at 5 mph.

Told her this was not a good idea because Jesus could hear her just fine if she stayed home.
Yeah the roads are slicker than they look. People up here are not being wise behind the wheel, some of them were going between 45 and 55 on 183 yesterday. Its insanity, no wonder that pileup happened on I-35W in FortWorth.

I personally wouldn't have went today but gatta give her props for devotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin