Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2021, 06:07 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheRs View Post
That is crazy. Can I ask how one finds the sale price? I thought it was not made public in Texas but there have been several reports of sale prices on this thread.
unless homeowners specifically ask for it to not be reported, they are required by the austin board of realtors to enter it into the MLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 06:12 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
We bought a very modest ‘78 build home on a couple acres in 78736, a historically under-performing zip code, back in ‘08. We paid off the mortgage seven years later and did a lot of remodeling. We watched real estate rising all over Austin, while our area saw mostly modest gains. That changed last year. We began joking that when our place hits the one million dollar mark it’s time to think about cashing out and moving to Florida, where a couple of our best friends have relocated to.

We’re starting to look at Fl real estate now. At this rate we will be former Texans before too much longer.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:40 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
We bought a very modest ‘78 build home on a couple acres in 78736, a historically under-performing zip code, back in ‘08. We paid off the mortgage seven years later and did a lot of remodeling. We watched real estate rising all over Austin, while our area saw mostly modest gains. That changed last year. We began joking that when our place hits the one million dollar mark it’s time to think about cashing out and moving to Florida, where a couple of our best friends have relocated to.

We’re starting to look at Fl real estate now. At this rate we will be former Texans before too much longer.
Sell it before the highway construction starts...

or the 'vile' batch plant is installed

Old 04-26-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Sell it before the highway construction starts...

or the 'vile' batch plant is installed
We are well off the highway, so we have THAT going for us. Any idea where exactly they are planning the concrete plant? I did an elementary amount of research but wasn’t able to determine where it’s proposed for.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:30 AM

It is supposed to be on the ACC campus, or at least that is one place they are looking at.

Honestly, it is the perfect location - large site with lots of buffer, direct access to the construction area w/o crossing neighborhood streets or other roads, and a significant amount of tree shielding from the homes.

As an aside, there is nothing from a health perspective that is an issue.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is supposed to be on the ACC campus, or at least that is one place they are looking at.

Honestly, it is the perfect location - large site with lots of buffer, direct access to the construction area w/o crossing neighborhood streets or other roads, and a significant amount of tree shielding from the homes.

As an aside, there is nothing from a health perspective that is an issue.
I’d rather have a concrete plant than go back to the homeless encampment there that damn near burned us all out back in ‘11. I agree that it’s a good location, for the reasons you listed. I’m pretty sure the particulates and pollens already in the air around here are collectively worse over time anyway.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:36 AM

Just talked to a couple that lives a few blocks over and I cross paths with every now and then. They are European but have been working in the US for the last few years. They bought a house (in Austin_Steve's last Austin neighborhood ) a couple of years ago, but are now going to be going back to Europe. They are probably going to be making out like bandits. They said they will need to, as the housing cost back home makes this all look cheap still......

Old 04-26-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I’d rather have a concrete plant than go back to the homeless encampment there that damn near burned us all out back in ‘11. I agree that it’s a good location, for the reasons you listed. I’m pretty sure the particulates and pollens already in the air around here are collectively worse over time anyway.
There is flyash used in concrete batching now, which does have quite a bit of silica and some heavy metals, but the amounts actually released to the atmosphere are trivial. The opposition is more related to the overall push back against the new highway, nothing really related to the batch plant.

The plants can be noisy due to the back-up beepers, but companies are more and more going to 'white noise' warning systems that don't carry as far and are approved by OSHA. This site would have minimal noise impact on the neighbors, I would guess. I haven't paid enough attention to see which contractor was putting in the plant.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:45 AM

I experienced all of this once before, in Northern CA. My parents sold their SF home for a ridiculously stupid amount in 1987, when I was 18, bought a ranch up in the Sierra foothills, and have never looked back. My native Austinite husband is done being angry over all the changes to Austin. He’s a couple years away from retirement and the prospect of moving to a quieter place while adding generously to our retirement savings is attractive. Some day our home and property here will probably become an enormous high rise residential pod. It is what it is.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:47 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheRs View Post
That is crazy. Can I ask how one finds the sale price? I thought it was not made public in Texas but there have been several reports of sale prices on this thread.
Redfin lists sold prices. You have to create an account, but it's free and I use a burner email, so I don't get spam.

Redfin only has information for sales where there was a loan taken out. They don't have info for cash purchases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin