Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2021, 05:01 PM

12,864 posts, read 13,163,727 times

Advertisements

Nah, it’s “equity”... not discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2021, 05:21 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,572,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeva View Post
When we were denied a transfer in 2019, I was told that Minority-to-Majority was the only transfer type allowed to the High Schools closed to transfer. If that is what is happening, then my kids transfer spot into HS (tracking since Kindergarten) was given to another kid based on skin color, and I was told there was no possibility of getting in, but that I could submit an application anyways. It was discrimination. This happened to multiple other families, too.
Ahhhh. Now I see where your disdain for AISD lies. I’m sorry that was the experience you had. I don’t know enough about the transfer protocol or process to speak to specifics or to feel comfortable debating the topic.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:01 AM

538 posts, read 426,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I don’t know enough about the transfer protocol or process to speak to specifics or to feel comfortable debating the topic.
That's because reverse racism (like using quotas to keep Asians out of Ivy League schools) is an uncomfortable topic.

Democrats: Divide the pie based on race, and ensure everyone remains hungry.
Republicans: Bake more pies.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Ahhhh. Now I see where your disdain for AISD lies.
It's not about my disdain, but about a series of failures by AISD to ensure equity, which is causing AISD to shrink. When you steer the middle class into bad school tracks, the middle class will leave the district and a vacuum will appear in their place. The only people left will be underperforming/working class students who can't afford to remain in AISD. This is how Dallas ISD collapsed into mediocrity, and now Austin ISD hired the former Dallas ISD chief (Elizalde) to run AISD.

Time to abandon ship.

Old 07-30-2021, 04:30 PM

433 posts, read 447,506 times
Quote:
That's because reverse racism (like using quotas to keep Asians out of Ivy League schools) is an uncomfortable topic.

Democrats: Divide the pie based on race, and ensure everyone remains hungry.
Republicans: Bake more pies.
"Reverse racism" is not a thing; it's just racism.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:52 AM

Man, the topic of AISD was brought up on r/Austin recently, and holy crap I didn't know it was that bad.

Burned-out teachers in Austin ISD are flooding the chat, airing the dirty laundry, and it's very ugly. If I was a parent in Austin, I would think twice about enrolling kids in AISD.

The biggest horror stories are coming our of East Austin. I wonder what the East-side gentrifying white-libs think about what going on over there.

Admitting defeat?
Ignoring the problem?
Homeschooling?
Making exit plans behind the backs of the other parents?

Old 10-28-2021, 02:24 PM

Loaded handgun in a middle-school kid's backpack on the east side of AISD.

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/aus...pack-wednesday

The exodus of liberal parents accelerating...

edit: there was also a stabbing earlier this week. This specific school's attendance zone has been flooded with apartments and min wage jobs (no tech jobs). CoA, TxDoT and AISD teamed up to royally scr3w this area.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/stud...e-high-school/

Old 10-28-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
The exodus of liberal parents accelerating...

edit: there was also a stabbing earlier this week. This specific school's attendance zone has been flooded with apartments and min wage jobs (no tech jobs). CoA, TxDoT and AISD teamed up to royally scr3w this area.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/stud...e-high-school/

I actually lived in that attendance zone for two years and have a very professional job and am still friends with several tech folks in the complex. But I see where you're going so I'll step out of this one.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I actually lived in that attendance zone for two years and have a very professional job and am still friends with several tech folks in the complex. But I see where you're going so I'll step out of this one.
Great anecdote, and you don't live in that area anymore. Why is that?

Old 10-29-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Great anecdote, and you don't live in that area anymore. Why is that?
Because I needed to be closer to where I'm working now. I did not move because of safety issues, Cheeva. I'd happily move back if it wasn't for the 45 minute commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin