Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 06:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times

Advertisements

I'm with riverboat gambler on this one. For the record, I am all for LEGAL immigration. I've seen hispanics panhandling at intersections. You won't see it as much in neighborhoods West of 35, but I'm sure it's there. Hispanics are not indeginous to our specific region of North America. I have a book about Apaches and it has several instances of problems between Indian tribes and Mexicans. They do have anti-illegal rallies here, but they don't get out of hand. I have a big problem with big business taking advantage of these people. Wages going lower starts with them. Slavery was outlawed. And increasing H1-b visas also not a great idea. Eventually, I may have to send my daughter to another country, just so she can get a job. There are lots of Hispanics here, and many of them are legal (and some of them are against illegal immigration). For the most part, the illegal population here is quiet. There is gang activity, but nowhere on par with what is going on in L.A. I think the Valley in South Texas would be more dangerous as far as that stuff goes.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 PM

98 posts, read 485,970 times
Default illegals

Austin does have a major and growing illegal problem. We always have. I find it comical that none of this was a national problem until brown people started showing up in Idaho.

I am really uncomfortable with the manner in which we choose to deal with it. We are an amnesty city which goes directly against federal law. This means that should you make it to Austin and not cause any major trouble you will never be visited by the INS(or whatever it is called now).

This is also one of the areas where "white" Austin puts on the blinders. The joke on the East side is that Austin is a great place to live...if you are white. While it will never be L.A., Austinites tend to ignore mestiso people that are not directly connected to U.T. or making us breakfast tacos. Sure we make small talk with them and may go grab a pint but we never look deeper than the surface level of their lives. How many latins do I know? Tons. How many of those are illegals? No idea...and would never ask them. How many illegals do I know? One, for sure, and he's German. We put the blinders on with our homeless too and look where it has gotten us.

We are much less integrated as a community than we were 20 years ago. In part I blame the burbs and in part I blame our local government for doing away with cross town busing. Its well and good to try and please everyone but some things have to be forced...I mean encouraged.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:29 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Hispanics are not indeginous to our specific region of North America.
Yeah, not like us white folks. Mexicans by definition have Indian ancestors native to the Americas.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:27 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Hispanics are not indeginous to our specific region of North America. I have a book about Apaches and it has several instances of problems between Indian tribes and Mexicans.
Heh... so, we're going to object to Hispanics being here on account of them not being indigenous and having instances of conflict with Indian tribes?

Seriously, though, I'm going to be the last person who understands the conflict between Hispanics and your garden-variety English speaking WASP... maybe someone can clue me in on the difference. If you look around the world, you can't find two more identical populations. Both caucasian, of European descent through colonization, speaking a European language, and practicing European Christianity. Probably only separated by a 200 mile difference in European country of origin. Not so many large populations like that outside Europe anymore, and maybe only 1 (Hispanic) that is actually still growing in number.

I'm also kind of interested in where you've seen these Hispanic panhandlers. I've never seen one myself. Sure, I may need to know Spanish to talk to the landscapers, roofers, restaurant bus boys / kitchen staff, etc... but I've NEVER met a panhandler whose first language isn't English.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:15 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I said ILLEGAL's of any race. Not hispanics. You guys can be as pc about it as you want, but I find it equally shameful that you would promote the exploitation of people for the benefit of big business. I think it's wonderful that people want to come here and have opportunities that they didn't, wherever they came from. I believe our European ancestors did the same thing. Although mine didn't come over before immigration rules were set up. Yes, Europeans did bad things to AMERICAN INDIANs, but so did people in Mexico. There was a time when this country was young, and I believe rules were set as they went along. Mexico has rules pertaining to immigration as well,and are much stricter than ours at that. I think the rules are set up for the safety, health, and well being of anyone who wants to be here legally, irregardless of race. Look at France as an example. I think they've had enough of not enforcing their laws. Yes, the system should be looked at and tweaked, but perhaps to the benefit of those who are trying to come here legally, and have been waiting too many years to do things the right way. And for the OP's oringinal question, yes, it is a problem, but as for the violence issue, not like LA. (my nieces and nephews:Rivera.... Luna:Cousins...Mayorga:Cousins.)

Last edited by love roses; 07-25-2007 at 09:24 AM..

Old 07-25-2007, 11:46 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
I said ILLEGAL's of any race. Not hispanics. You guys can be as pc about it as you want, but I find it equally shameful that you would promote the exploitation of people for the benefit of big business. I think it's wonderful that people want to come here and have opportunities that they didn't, wherever they came from.
In re-reading your original comment, I don't see where you say "any race", and in fact you only refer to hispanics... which is not a race, anyway. The race is caucasian. I'm not about being pc, but really take a look at your next few sentences after "For the record, I am all for LEGAL immigration." -

I've seen hispanics panhandling at intersections. You won't see it as much in neighborhoods West of 35, but I'm sure it's there. - huh?

Hispanics are not indeginous to our specific region of North America. - what?

I have a book about Apaches and it has several instances of problems between Indian tribes and Mexicans. - ok..

I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but can you at least see how that comes across?

Quote:
Yes, Europeans did bad things to AMERICAN INDIANs, but so did people in Mexico.
Well, those "People in Mexico", if NOT Native Americans, must be Europeans. So you are saying, Europeans did bad things to American Indians, and so did some other Europeans.

Quote:
There was a time when this country was young, and I believe rules were set as they went along. Mexico has rules pertaining to immigration as well,and are much stricter than ours at that. I think the rules are set up for the safety, health, and well being of anyone who wants to be here legally, irregardless of race. Look at France as an example. I think they've had enough of not enforcing their laws. Yes, the system should be looked at and tweaked, but perhaps to the benefit of those who are trying to come here legally, and have been waiting too many years to do things the right way. And for the OP's oringinal question, yes, it is a problem, but as for the violence issue, not like LA. (my nieces and nephews:Rivera.... Luna:Cousins...Mayorga:Cousins.)
Now this I agree with 100%. Illegal border crossings, Illegals living here, that's a huge problem -- not, in my opinion, because of the jobs they might be taking from people, but because of security. America has always freely imported cheap labor from anywhere in exchange for opportunity. It's the fuel that has built us into the most powerful economy in the world. People have been exploited in the process, certainly, and that's why there must be rules. If America locks down and stops letting the new labor force in, we can pretty much kiss our economic growth goodbye... sure, it'll still be a pleasant place to live (like living in Europe), and citizens will be guaranteed jobs or (more likely) live on government assistance, but we'll be watching on the sidelines as China becomes the most important nation on the planet. Perhaps we already are?

Old 07-25-2007, 11:50 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Okay, feel free to continue on in the Illegal Immigration forum, but this is not really an Austin specific issue (although some posts in here are).

thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin