Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,547 times

Advertisements

In the past, I had a 46 mile, one way, commute, and I'd not do it again. Mine was 'only' an hour each way, and after two years of it, it was too much wasted time, energy, money.

Waco to Austin, even Georgetown, daily, is going to eat up three hours, round trip. And that's if traffic cooperates! Add to this the county/state police appear to partol the roads around here at a density of one cop per five mile stretch of road, and you're not going to shave much time off this. The traffic on 35 is pretty dense, anyway, so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 11:37 AM

20 posts, read 62,269 times
Austin to Waco is an impossible commute. You'll spend half your income on gas, and you'll want to set your hair on fire after the first week of that boring 2-hour drive.

My recommendation is that you look into some of the beautiful communities that are half way between. Salado is a wonderful place. Belton is a nice community. You can have a compromise and still have your job and your Austin life, but when you think about how you spend your time, don't you spend most of it in your home or at work? Thus, it makes sense to focus on having a nice home and enjoying your work. Stay out of your car. It's possible that the energy crisis will get a lot worse in the near future, but even if that doesn't happen you'll still be spending almost 4 hours a day in your car if you commute from Austin to Waco.

By the way, I dated a young woman from Waco and she described that city as "H311".
Not sure if that will get past the censors, but if it doesn't, let's just say that she considered Waco to be "the opposite of Heaven." I think she was exaggerating, but it might be useful info for you nevertheless.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:49 PM

76 posts, read 424,037 times
I just made the drive to and from Waco for a graduation last weekend. I certainly wouldn't want to do it everyday. I live in Round Rock btw. FWIW, there are some great neighborhoods west of downtown Waco towards the lake.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:47 AM

20 posts, read 62,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDavis View Post
FWIW, there are some great neighborhoods west of downtown Waco towards the lake.
That's true, and there are some beautiful natural areas around Waco that are great for hiking. It's not all bad, obviously. But if a person is seriously attached to Austin, then a move to Waco might be a problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin