Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 02:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

American Airlines is growing like crazy in Austin! Certainly nothing like American to DFW or United to IAH, but they’re quickly gaining more flights than I could’ve thought possible with two mammoth airports so close by. From September to the rest of the year, they’re getting 18!!!! new flights. To airports that aren’t even remotely AA hubs. To even international destinations like Costa Rica.

This comes as a surprise to me because with American having their largest passenger hub in DFW, it would seem unreasonable to establish this so close. Would be interesting to see if it all works out and how much they can grow it. But if they can sustain this so called mini hub/focus city, good for Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 02:38 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Maybe to eliminate some if their BS connecting flights from DFW. They’re ridiculous, I had to go three terminals down in 45 minutes for my last flight from ABIS to DFW to Grand junction.

Old 07-14-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Maybe to eliminate some if their BS connecting flights from DFW. They’re ridiculous, I had to go three terminals down in 45 minutes for my last flight from ABIS to DFW to Grand junction.
This isn’t exclusive to DFW. This is how all large airline hubs operate.

Old 07-14-2021, 02:58 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I flew from Austin a couple times last year but it was still going to their hubs. Both times being Charlotte. It might just be a focus city but I don't ever see a hub.

Old 07-14-2021, 03:02 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This isn’t exclusive to DFW. This is how all large airline hubs operate.
I hate it.

Old 07-14-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I flew from Austin a couple times last year but it was still going to their hubs. Both times being Charlotte. It might just be a focus city but I don't ever see a hub.
They’re more than doubling in routes later this year, so what you saw isn’t what you’ll see if you go in November. It’s simply not going to be a major hub with the likes of DFW and IAH. But what it has now is previously unimaginable.

Old 07-14-2021, 03:47 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Basically everyone is going nuts over Austin right now because, until recently, the city was very underserved. The way it works in most market is that the dominant airline gains the market share (especially with business travelers). AA is taking the gamble that, if they show up in force, they will be the dominant airline in Austin.

WN has a significant presence but they have no real international network.
DL has talked a big game about AUS but they havent really come through.
AA had the advantage to begin with because they are by far the most dominant airline in Texas. The only place AA doesnt dominate is Houston, Corpus, and the RGV where UA wins. AA also has had the benefit of having British Airways around for a significant amount of time.

But we should also consider what no airline will do.

Youre not going to see a bunch of small markets show up. Cities like Indianapolis and St. Louis yes, cities like Grand Junction and Cedar Rapids, no. They want to serve only the markets where there is significant O&D and leave the connections to DFW.

So is AA going to make AUS into a hub? Not really even if they call it that. Instead, it will be a large focus city.

Old 07-14-2021, 04:41 PM

Yes, this is what I was referring to. You’re not going to see small towns use AUS for connections the way DFW and IAH do. But nonetheless? All these medium sized markets going to Austin are something I never would have imagined. If anything, I would’ve expected it from Delta.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:43 PM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
Surprising, but welcomed news. Like the OP I figured AA wouldn't expand to such an extent with DFW being nearby. I guest they are trying beat Delta to the punch. Delta laid out plans to make a Austin a Focus City just before COVID. As someone who has to business travel 3 - 4 times per year, I look forward to more direct flight options. Not the biggest fan of AA and prefer Southwest, but if they are competitive on price, I'll give them a shot. With the new terminal opening up, I'm hoping more airlines will follow.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
Surprising, but welcomed news. Like the OP I figured AA wouldn't expand to such an extent with DFW being nearby. I guest they are trying beat Delta to the punch. Delta laid out plans to make a Austin a Focus City just before COVID. As someone who has to business travel 3 - 4 times per year, I look forward to more direct flight options. Not the biggest fan of AA and prefer Southwest, but if they are competitive on price, I'll give them a shot. With the new terminal opening up, I'm hoping more airlines will follow.
For all of Texas, it really would’ve benefitted if Delta did this instead. With us already having major hubs from United and American, establishing even a focus city from the third US legacy carrier would’ve been great. Still, even this is good for Central Texas. I just see Delta as one that would’ve had much more room to grow since they aren’t too close to a mammoth hub the way American and United are to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin