Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 03:12 AM

2,335 posts, read 801,996 times

Advertisements

Austin, Travis County urge everyone to wear masks and for unvaccinated residents to stay home as COVID-19 cases surge

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07...ovid-19-masks/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 04:31 AM

11,660 posts, read 7,792,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Austin, Travis County urge everyone to wear masks and for unvaccinated residents to stay home as COVID-19 cases surge

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07...ovid-19-masks/
I guess it’s truly here to stay. Even by the time we make another vaccine, Covid-19 will have mutated again. From my understanding even those vaccinated with the current vaccine are still capable of catching the variant.

Old 07-24-2021, 05:37 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,570,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I guess it’s truly here to stay. Even by the time we make another vaccine, Covid-19 will have mutated again. From my understanding even those vaccinated with the current vaccine are still capable of catching the variant.
Pfizer is 88% effective https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ta-israel-says

I have heard moderna is somewhere in the 90% range but haven’t found the article.

There may be a need for a booster, but not a “whole new vaccine.”

People who are vaccinated, overall, will get a much more mild case of covid, if they do get Covid. It’s about being as protected as you can be, and getting vaccinated is that best way to be protected right now. That’s not to say that some vaccinated people won’t get more sick than just a cold. I casually stopped eating my mask, and even shopped at the domain one Friday without a mask last week. But, I’ve started wearing mine when I go inside somewhere now, mostly to keep the littles I know safe.

The WSJ does a good job of summarizing where we’re at with Delta. https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-del...ow-11627079604

Old 07-24-2021, 06:20 AM

Actually Pfizer is 39% effective in preventing infections (as per your article). Therein lies the problem. The majority of vaccinated people can be spreaders. There are 14 million immunocompromised people in the nation, in addition to children that cannot get a vaccine. If one believes in the science and the protocols involved, this would appear to be the right step. Everyone should be wearing masks and following the protocols.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:16 AM

4,677 posts, read 3,108,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Actually Pfizer is 39% effective in preventing infections (as per your article). Therein lies the problem. The majority of vaccinated people can be spreaders. There are 14 million immunocompromised people in the nation, in addition to children that cannot get a vaccine. If one believes in the science and the protocols involved, this would appear to be the right step. Everyone should be wearing masks and following the protocols.
Forever. Once the COVID issue is 'under control', they'll point to how 'effective' the masks were just in time for the next flue season.

Old 07-24-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Forever. Once the COVID issue is 'under control', they'll point to how 'effective' the masks were just in time for the next flue season.
Just making a comment regarding those that believe in the science, knowing full well everyone is not on the same page.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:01 AM

15,234 posts, read 35,413,416 times
Eh, herd immunity will eventually be reached due to the number of infections. It will eventually just be a seasonal cold over time along with the the other corona viruses. It is just how many people will die or be affected before then. If you are vaccinated, the odds of dying are minuscule.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:15 AM

11,660 posts, read 7,792,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Pfizer is 88% effective https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ta-israel-says

I have heard moderna is somewhere in the 90% range but haven’t found the article.

There may be a need for a booster, but not a “whole new vaccine.”

People who are vaccinated, overall, will get a much more mild case of covid, if they do get Covid. It’s about being as protected as you can be, and getting vaccinated is that best way to be protected right now. That’s not to say that some vaccinated people won’t get more sick than just a cold. I casually stopped eating my mask, and even shopped at the domain one Friday without a mask last week. But, I’ve started wearing mine when I go inside somewhere now, mostly to keep the littles I know safe.

The WSJ does a good job of summarizing where we’re at with Delta. https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-del...ow-11627079604
It seems unlikely to be 80% effective.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2108891

Quote:

Effectiveness after one dose of vaccine (BNT162b2 or ChAdOx1 nCoV-19) was notably lower among persons with the delta variant (30.7%; 95% confidence interval [CI], 25.2 to 35.7) than among those with the alpha variant (48.7%; 95% CI, 45.5 to 51.7); the results were similar for both vaccines. With the BNT162b2 vaccine, the effectiveness of two doses was 93.7% (95% CI, 91.6 to 95.3) among persons with the alpha variant and 88.0% (95% CI, 85.3 to 90.1) among those with the delta variant. With the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine, the effectiveness of two doses was 74.5% (95% CI, 68.4 to 79.4) among persons with the alpha variant and 67.0% (95% CI, 61.3 to 71.8) among those with the delta variant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Eh, herd immunity will eventually be reached due to the number of infections. It will eventually just be a seasonal cold over time along with the the other corona viruses. It is just how many people will die or be affected before then. If you are vaccinated, the odds of dying are minuscule.
I particularly am not really worried so much about the virus but how much effect it will have on the economy going forward especially if it manages to mutate enough to escape herd immunity which it has seemingly managed to accomplish.

In either case it is what it is. I personally was expecting it to rebound but it just raises the question, if this will truly one day be a thing of the past.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:29 AM

12,863 posts, read 13,161,297 times
Nearly ALL the hospitalizations & deaths for Covid are the unvaccinated. That is why we can’t have nice things these days.
Get your damn shots.

Old 07-24-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Nearly ALL the hospitalizations & deaths for Covid are the unvaccinated. That is why we can’t have nice things these days.
Get your damn shots.
The bolded are words I will never utter to anyone (even if we stay this way for the rest of my life). One's life is priceless as far as I'm concerned. And I am not about to tell anyone how to live theirs on my account (that would be quite selfish on my part). Not to mention, given the inconsistencies on messages, I think people have every right to hold off if they choose. I just can't handle hearing experts from Israel (using what is as close to a controlled study as we can find) claiming a 39% effectiveness against being infected and then listening to Fauci crow that the vaccines are very effective (both can't be true). The likelihood of death in either situation is also quite low. ​

I find the mask to be a minor inconvenience here (perhaps I wouldn't feel that way in a much, more restrictive state). I know I took a trip to San Francisco during the pandemic and it very much made me appreciate what I had in this area. I always followed the protocols laid out by the stores I shopped at, but enjoyed nice walks everyday in my barren area without a mask.

I found my life has actually become more efficient in many ways. My shopping trip to HEB are now done at 6am (I'm an early riser anyway and never realized how much easier shopping was at that hour). Same goes for gas stations and many other things I've done. I work outdoors so masking hasn't been a major concern. Admittedly, it makes for short days during the summer (usually done by 10am), but things will pick back up and be extended in the fall.

I'm sorry if some think this is some major inconvenience. All I can say is there are millions that were selfless for the last year for them. If all it entails is adhering to some minor protocols, I see no reason why there shouldn't be reciprocation from them. The "blame game" doesn't solve this problem. I would rather be considerate to one another then to divide people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin