U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:37 PM

1,584 posts, read 4,017,074 times

Advertisements

First you need to get Austin spelled correctly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 PM

746 posts, read 3,413,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Except that, well...they would be living in Detroit!
Not literally.......the vast majority of high-paid blue collar autoworkers live in nice surburbs on the outskirts, like Livonia, Auburn Hills, and the like, and commute. Without a GPS, you wouldn't know if you were in Round Rock or Livonia. Same malls and such....I don't think 13-14 hour with no job security/benefits is viable even in shangri-la, if thats what you want to call Austin.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:10 PM

804 posts, read 1,695,016 times
Finding work here is entirely about who you know. You will repeatedly hear "network, network, network", but it's very closed and cliquish here. At best you'll just meet lots of other unemployed or underemployed professionals. Picture the schoolyard bully who punches you with your own fist, then asks why you're punching yourself.

You're right about the stability factor, most companies here are branch offices, startups, service industry, and low-wage temporary work in factories. The few companies offering any stability will not hire unless you know the right people and your degree is from UT. You cannot wipe your * without having the right connections.

There's also a bias against west coasters moving here. Oddly nobody seems to notice the swarms of people coming here from Dallas, who are worse, but that's a matter of opinion.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,042,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
There's also a bias against west coasters moving here. Oddly nobody seems to notice the swarms of people coming here from Dallas, who are worse, but that's a matter of opinion.
But have hope, because I found out after I landed a great job in Austin (after the painfully long job search I mentioned earlier) that the reason I was hired, finally, was because the VP of the company said, "You know, Californians aren't so bad. We really should hire one of them." And then I applied and he thought it was a sign or something.

It didn't have that much to do with my qualifications, I later learned.

Job search is somewhat random, like dating. You just have to keep going until you find "the one."

Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM

6,024 posts, read 10,979,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkirk View Post
I hate to say this, but the Austin job market is very hard to break into for general positions - manager, administrative, sales, ect. There is just so much competition.

I would strongly suggest trying to find a job in Houston. It is a much easier task because the city is much larger. If you ultimately want to end up in Austin, try to look at companies that have branches in Houston and Austin. It may also be easier for your wife to get a position in Houston.

If you want to email me your resume, I would be happy to give you feedback. I helped in hiring our sales force at my old job, so I know what to look for. My email is jk@jenkirk.com.
It is so funny that you guys say that. It is almost impossible for us to find decent admins or sales people. Our admin makes about 45K and our sales people who make quota make over 100K some over 200K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or