Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 02:24 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times

Advertisements

I did a quick look on a random cost of living website, and it shows a 26.8% decrease in COL moving from SD to Austin, but also an 8.8% decrease in salary. Of course, this is just an average, but is an idea of the trend....salaries are lower, but the COL should have an even larger drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 02:31 PM

12 posts, read 30,183 times
The saying that everyone is nicer in Texas is no joke, thanks so much for taking the time to look that up for me! Not sure why I didn't think to do that.

We're not giving up yet, I appreciate all your help.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:31 PM

30 posts, read 137,380 times
Does anyone know what other big companies besides Dell are located in Round Rock? Thanks!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:13 PM

12 posts, read 30,183 times
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the commute would be from Central Austin to Round Rock? We'd prefer to live in the city, rather than live in Round Rock. Google Maps says 23 minutes, but I'm not sure if that really means an hour in rush hour.

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 PM

93 posts, read 307,347 times
Default Hi Ya Ya

I am doing the same thing in March. I am visiting the Austin area to make sure its some place I would like to relocate to. I am an empty nester but far from retired. I have had quite a few recruiters contact me. I am in a pharmaceutical administrative career here in the east but could easily work for a hospital or medical facility.

Good luck to you
Katie

Old 01-09-2007, 09:08 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Central Austin to RR is pretty vague...there are many different ideas of central austin. That would be about the commute for all but dead time traffic, but it can vary a lot. But there is the new toll road on N. Mopac, and that might help, too, but I have not travelled it much yet.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:33 PM

288 posts, read 811,667 times
Ya-Ya- "The Sunshine Tax",I like that. I can relate to what you're saying. I work in contruction, tile specifically and the average pay in the Austin area is about 2/3 of what I make in MN. That's one of the issues I've grappled with as well. Luckily my wife has a desk job where she could potentially make alot more in the Austin area, which would balance things out. None the less, it would take away the possibility of a SAHM situation for her in the future when we have kids.

It really does amaze me how much pay for doing the exact same work can vary that much around the country though. Then again, how does a $200k house go for $140k in TX and $600k in parts of CA?

I think overall quality of life is the bigger issue one needs to look at. Is is possible to actually have a better quality of like while making less money? Absolutely. If I was living just to make the most $$$ possible, I'd stay in MN my entire life. The fact of the matter is TX, or at least the Austin area offers more opportunities for the kind of lifestyle and recreation opportunites my wife and I are looking for. Granted, yes, you need to make a certain amount of $$$ to live a comfortable lifestyle anywhere, but it seems like TX is a place where it is possible to get by with less considering the lower cost of housing and overall cost of living.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:30 PM

8 posts, read 18,420 times
I'm in a comparable quandary.

My family and I are considering the move from "The OC" to Austin, and my concern is comparable salary and job expectations. I've been working in the tech field for 11 years now, and Austin does appear to have a good tech industry. My fear is that the cheaper talent coming out of UTA being factor that drives down wages in my field.

The one thing that might negate the loss in pay, would be costs of living differences, and that I would be paying cash outright for a home in the 500-600k range (got to love Cali equity)

Old 01-15-2007, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,842 times
hi....i live in ohio and am planning on moving to austin in september of 07 as well. i'm nervous about just moving there without a job but also feel that its difficult to find one without living there first. what is your plan about housing though? i guess i will just move down and stay in a hotel then find an apartment but i dont know which part of the city is best. i am 25 and single with 2 dogs. i am thinking about going down there for a week this summer just to get a feel for the place and maybe look at apartments. what are your thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin