Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:39 PM

7 posts, read 28,227 times

Advertisements

We have some family coming up for lunch in Austin this Saturday in order to check out our new home city come this fall. Since they are from Atlanta and we are from Dallas...none of us know much about the Austin food scene. I have read numerous posts on good/great places to eat...but i would like to know where would you take family (with kids) for lunch in order to get a representative "feel" for what Austin is like?

I know it is possibly a lot to ask with all the different things Austin has going fo rit, but with the rare visits from family living on the east coast...i thought it might be cool to get them a quick idea of just how different....or as they say: weird....Austin can be.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 03:42 PM

124 posts, read 563,702 times
Salt Lick? I personally hate bbq, but I've been told that is the place to go for an Austin feel.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:22 PM

314 posts, read 1,229,985 times
I think the Hula Hut would have to get my vote. It is where we always go with out of towners.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Threadgills. The original (which is back open after renovations, though I haven't been to see what they did to it), not the one down south of the lake.

The food's good, though not the best Austin has to offer, but the "feel" of Austin should be right there. They've been serving that feel up for, oh, since back before anybody'd ever heard of Janis Joplin.

Or the Broken Spoke, where they might rub shoulders with legislators, Willie, and who knows who else.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:28 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,389 times
I thought the Oasis was pretty cool as far as nice view of the lake. Food sucks though. Go there for evening cocktails.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
I'd vote for someplace on S Congress, or Barton Springs road. I like Enoteca Vespaio or Guero's on S. Congress for the "Austin" feel, but they are not so much for kids (although pretty much anyplace in Austin would be OK for kids)... maybe Chuys, Shady Grove, or Uncle Billys (all on Barton Springs Rd) would be more family friendly. Plus, you can walk to Zilker Park from those.

Oasis would be good too, for a taste of the Hill Country/Lake.

Salt Lick is a bit out of the way for a lunch visit, and IMO doesn't really show you much of Austin. Bring cash if you go there, though, as they don't accept credit cards and their ATM machine is pricey.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Shady Grove would be good and still indicative of Austin, not "other places brought to Austin".

Oasis is a good idea not for the food, but for the view. You might try Iguana Grill - great view, as well, food marginally better, but a bit more family-friendly in terms of layout (though I haven't been to Oasis since they rebuilt after the fire).

Old 05-21-2008, 06:09 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,389 times
I LOVE Shady Grove. I keep meaning to go when they have a movie playing outside but I've only been at lunch time so far. I second that suggestion!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:37 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,603 times
ONE place? That's hard to do - like asking someone to give ONE descriptive word that sums up your child or spouse!

However, to get the flavor of Austin, I'd suggest a few locations where there are a lot of restaurants and you all can choose what you want to eat but still get the feel of the city.

(1) Barton Springs Road for the "conventionally weird". Great gatheirng place next to Zilker Park with Chuy's (crazy tex-mex place that celebrates Elvis' birthday), Shady Grove (sort of cowboy themed burger/chili/home cookin' place with nice outdoor shady area for live music), Austin Java Company (sandwiches, salads, killer desserts which can be had on a lovely patio outside), Green Mesquite BBQ.... the only one I don't really suggest on this street is Baby A's...margaritas are killer but the food and service is not so great.

2) Duval Hyde Park area for the "cozy neighborhood weird." A few eateries here are Mother's Cafe (nutty natural vegetarian cafe), Hyde Park Grill (huge menu, great food in an old house where french fries are king), Dolce Vita (for dessert - fancy espressos and Italian gelato in a funky modern setting).

3) South Congress for "funky music-crowd weird." Great restaurants down there are Guero's (Tex-Mex with an outdoor live music venue), Home Slice Pizza (MY fave Austin pizza with NY pizza in a funky decorated place...pizza is awesome and desserts are supposed to be awesome though I never get there b/c I'm too full!), Freebird's Burrito (most delicious and hugest burrito served in tin foil in an industrial inspired environment - a good lunch spot). There are tons more restaurants down Congress and when you're done eating you can take in a nice view of the Capitol Bldg and then get some Amy's Ice Cream (a MUST if you come to Austin).

Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 PM

314 posts, read 1,229,985 times
I need to quit reading this so late at night. I would love a slice of Home Slice Pizza!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin