Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 04:53 PM

550 posts, read 492,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Sell it to some non-'run of the mill' *********, who would then steal your identity and spend lots of money in your name...

'fraud ster' is apparently taboo?
I think you’re overestimating the intelligence and work ethic of most criminals just a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 09:07 PM

15,241 posts, read 35,440,091 times
Most criminals take whatever they can get and 'fence' it to someone who knows better what to do with it. Yes, petty criminals are generally not the brightest, but they do off-load their stuff to someone, and that someone is often a step or two up in intelligence.

Old 08-07-2022, 05:32 PM

1,779 posts, read 4,003,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Perhaps when travel within the US??

Yes, I meant while traveling within the US.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:20 AM

12,866 posts, read 13,179,618 times
The typical gun safe we see at Costco or Academy is not a real safe. They are ok for deterring the casual smash & grab burglar, but a pro can peel one faster than you would think possible. Lots of videos online demonstrate how it is done.

This top quality brand is a “real” safe and much better at fire protection, but they can be very costly. One of my relatives has a small model for his important papers.

https://graffundersafes.com/

Old 08-09-2022, 02:36 PM

61,172 posts, read 85,998,837 times
Typical thief won't bother much with passports and other papers. They want a fast gratification for their effort: cash, jewelry, guns, collectibles like coins, stamps, electronics etc.
Stuff they can sell fast without raising suspicion.
Trying to sell passports or other documents it's not easy - and could backfire.
Passport numbers or other IDs are frequently stolen from banks and hotels during their security breaches. Seems that people forgot that this happens way more often than the theft of their actual passport.
There is not much thief can do with stolen passport nowadays. And thieves that break into people's homes aren't looking to steal them.
I would be more worried about other valuables in your home, and instead of renting box in a bank, I would invest that money in better locks,
surveillance cameras and other preventative measures. Also in maintaining a friendly relationship with your neighbors who could keep an eye on your property.
Many police stations offer courtesy checks on your property. Here in San Antonio you can request checks for two weeks with the option to renew. That service is not much advertised, but it's free. I use it frequently.

Old 08-10-2022, 12:15 PM

12,866 posts, read 13,179,618 times
^^^^
Good advice.
But I Had not heard of the courtesy checks before. Interesting.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:21 PM

61,172 posts, read 85,998,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
^^^^
Good advice.
But I Had not heard of the courtesy checks before. Interesting.
Cops won't advertise additional work, but most stations offer that service.
Google it.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/life/ho...4-a4902f3f0812
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin