Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 03:12 PM

9 posts, read 41,414 times

Advertisements

I've definitely viewed a lot of post where others are pondering the move to Austin. I've also viewed various stats that speak on my situation in relation to an Austin move, but I love to hear from actual ppl.

Here's the sit...I'm a 31 year old, African-American, single-mom from the Metro Detroit area. I am a Social Worker with a Master's degree and approx. 2 1/2 years field experience. I'm looking for affordable housing/renting (town homes/houses), and an excellent & diverse school district for my 11 yr. old daughter (middle school).

My hobbies are the arts (poetry, music, art, jewelry, etc.). Poetry and live music are VERY important to me to have in my residing city, along with mingling with other young and diverse professionals. Real talk: I also want to be made aware of what areas to stay away from...whether it be due to racism, poor school districts, expensive housing, etc.

THX in advance for any help u may have!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 08:31 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
What's your price range?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 PM

Hmmm well that's another factor...I'm not even sure of what price range is considered reasonable. So far, the average for my profession and experience would fall somewhere between $45-60,000 a year.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 24,153 times
Your question is very broad. Do you have specifics?

I am a Black latina from Central America. I live in Austin and I dont consider it very diverse, despite what people say. It's diverse if you live close to the university and hang around the international crowd but otherwise, the town is pretty homogeneous. there are pockets of ethnics groups, but again, these are pockets. and these pockets are segregated by socio-economic status. Blacks and hispanics on the east, and caucasians to the west. Of course, there are sprinkling of each group on the east and west but overall, the city is NOT very diverse. i have to admit though that I see the city growing in diversity. but there is nO where near chicago or new york or Houston (those are bigger cities as well).

regarding live music, there is lots of it here.

regarding diverse schools...i'm still trying to find one for my 4 year old daughter. well, it all depends on what you consider "diverse"

Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 PM

115 posts, read 492,468 times
I am an African-
American, single-mom too in my early 30's. Although there isn't a huge AA population, it is okay. I come from San Diego where there wasn't a highly concentrated AA pop anyway. It was very diverse there. If you would like then I can PM you some links that I was referred to that may help you with your information on the AA population in Austin. I found it very helpful and have found some great resources.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:30 PM

106 posts, read 307,142 times
I'm black and almost 30, I'm here for grad school. Austin is nice enough but its not diverse at all in my opinion. There are a lot of different types of white people and a sprinkling of non-white people but it is getting better.

There isn't that much choice in food- I really am not a fan of Tex-Mex so I've got some serious issues lol.

The people are friendly and its a nice town but I prefer big cities even though I am from a very small country. I have spent the last couple of summers in Houston, 3 and 5 months respectively and I really enjoy it there as there is so much more to do.

Also if you have allergies that may be a concern in Austin. My allergies are mild every where else but here they are chronic!

Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 PM

Thx for all the comments!

Hmmm My thought of diversity is at least 25-30% AA's, and the rest of other cultures. For a school, I personally prefer to have my daughter in a school where the count is at least 100 other AA's to identify with, yet a mixture of other cultures/ethnic groups as well.

I've been told that some parts in Houston is rough around the edges (which most big cities have that)...coming from Det. I'm not intimidated , but I do tend to like to stay in a suburb that borders the city and major freeways. I've also been told that Dallas was a happy median for diversity, safety, etc.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:16 PM

38 posts, read 112,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzilady View Post
Thx for all the comments!

Hmmm My thought of diversity is at least 25-30% AA's, and the rest of other cultures. For a school, I personally prefer to have my daughter in a school where the count is at least 100 other AA's to identify with, yet a mixture of other cultures/ethnic groups as well.

I've been told that some parts in Houston is rough around the edges (which most big cities have that)...coming from Det. I'm not intimidated , but I do tend to like to stay in a suburb that borders the city and major freeways. I've also been told that Dallas was a happy median for diversity, safety, etc.

Heck, if you're coming from Detroit, you'd giggle at the worst hoods in Austin! Houston is just weird - with no zoning over the years, you will have very bad neighborhoods next to very nice neighborhoods next to sketchy industrial areas. You'd have to ask them all about it.

One thing I found interesting - your preferred diversity would be composed of approximately 25%-30% AA. As AA are 10-15% of the national population, (don't know about texas), a 30% AA rate would mean somewhere else (wisconsin?) was *really* not diverse.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:45 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I can tell you that AAs make up between 7-8% of the Austin population. But there is interest at the City level at improving AA quality of life.

City of Austin - African American Quality of Life Initiative accomplishments highlighted

Old 07-22-2008, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,060 times
I'm a AA single mother, 37 years old with a 4 y/o daughter. I'm originally from Austin but only recently moved back four years ago after my daughter was born. Before my move I lived in Houston, Boston and Miami. Although I have a fondness for Austin I realize now the importance of diversity and I am looking to make a move to Houston within the next year. Bizzilady I too have a MSW with over 15 years experience and I am struggling to make a decent living here. When I left Miami I took a $15K pay cut that I have not been able to recoup. Your MSW will be appreciated more in a larger Texas city (ie. Houston, DAllas) or somewhere else. Although the school system is decent you will be socially isolated here. I am not sure what you mean by affordable housing...yes it exists but you will find yourself not in Austin but in the suburbs if you want to purchase a house on your new Austin salary. Also if you are looking to date an AA man...forget it!!! You will need to be open to dating outside of your race or remain single. And yes there is plenty of night life here but it really caters to a young white college age demographic. And although there is plenty of live music, family-oriented events and artsy things to do you will find that the city is so lacking in diversity that it takes away from the total experience. After 4 years of being home I am so tired of always being 1 of 2 blacks at an event. I also find the "black" events lacking in creativity and poorly coordinated. There is 1 1/2 black clubs in Austin, a community-sponsored black radio station with poor reception,and a handful of black-owned business. Concerts and other cultural events often skip Austin thus you will have to drive to San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston to see the Color Purple when it goes on tour (just an example) The two main reasons I am living my beloved hometown is to get my career back on track and build my daughters damaged self-esteem - she believes her kinky hair is "yucky." I haven't mentioned all of the great things about Austin - you can read those on the city's website...I just wanted you to hear from the perspective of someone who loves this city but simply can't "afford" to live here anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin