Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2022, 08:59 AM

15,243 posts, read 35,474,152 times

Advertisements

Has anyone played much with the new TravisCAD.org web site? They have reformatted it quite a bit, with some things I like and some I don't (i.e. it doesn't have a concise summary of tax rates/tax bills).

Anyway, the actual tax rate portion has been moved to the 'Truth in Taxation' web site and while I like the level of detail it has, it will take me a while to digest what all is there. For each taxing unit, the page contains:
  1. Last year's tax rates;
  2. Tax rate that corresponds to no new income for the taxing unit;
  3. Proposed tax rate;
  4. Voter Approval required tax rate; and
  5. Adopted tax rate.

(1) is pretty obvious and (2) is interesting but not really relevant to what I have paid in the past or will in the future. The adopted tax rate (5) is not set yet, but I assume in most cases that the proposed rate (3) will become the adopted rate as long as it does not exceed the level that requires voter approval (4).

Anyway, my homestead had a 45% increase in appraised value (capped at 10% for taxing basis) and, if the proposed taxes are adopted, I will have a 1.6% decrease in taxes for 2022. Am I missing something, or are my taxes really going to go down?

AISD shows $32 more in tax and every other taxing unit shows a small decrease in taxes collected.

FWIW, the five taxing entities that I am subject to all appear to have significant budget increases (revenue neutral compared to proposed) even though I will be personally paying less
11.6% ----AISD (53% will be 'recaptured', so budget is really going up only 5.4%)
2% -------CoA
6.8% -----Travis County Health
7.7% -----Travis County
7.6% -----ACC

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 09-01-2022 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 01:49 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,059,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Has anyone played much with the new TravisCAD.org web site? They have reformatted it quite a bit, with some things I like and some I don't (i.e. it doesn't have a concise summary of tax rates/tax bills).

Anyway, the actual tax rate portion has been moved to the 'Truth in Taxation' web site and while I like the level of detail it has, it will take me a while to digest what all is there. For each taxing unit, the page contains:
  1. Last year's tax rates;
  2. Tax rate that corresponds to no new income for the taxing unit;
  3. Proposed tax rate;
  4. Voter Approval required tax rate; and
  5. Adopted tax rate.

(1) is pretty obvious and (2) is interesting but not really relevant to what I have paid in the past or will in the future. The adopted tax rate (5) is not set yet, but I assume in most cases that the proposed rate (3) will become the adopted rate as long as it does not exceed the level that requires voter approval (4).

Anyway, my homestead had a 45% increase in appraised value (capped at 10% for taxing basis) and, if the proposed taxes are adopted, I will have a 1.6% decrease in taxes for 2022. Am I missing something, or are my taxes really going to go down?

AISD shows $32 more in tax and every other taxing unit shows a small decrease in taxes collected.

FWIW, the five taxing entities that I am subject to all appear to have significant budget increases (revenue neutral compared to proposed) even though I will be personally paying less
11.6% ----AISD (53% will be 'recaptured', so budget is really going up only 5.4%)
2% -------CoA
6.8% -----Travis County Health
7.7% -----Travis County
7.6% -----ACC
I think what happened was that across the city all properties were up like 70%. You have a homestead so are capped at 10%. Commercial/investment properties have no homestead so they are subject to the entire increase immediately. The commercial properties are essentially absorbing all the increase.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:17 PM

743 posts, read 1,362,713 times
Yeah, it's possible. Between homestead caps and SB-2, which caps the total collected revenue at +3.5%, this could happen. Given that property values skyrocketed, rates essentially must go down to comply with the SB2 cap.

Agree with Austin97 that it will shift more of the property tax burden to non-homestead & commercial properties.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:27 PM

15,243 posts, read 35,474,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I think what happened was that across the city all properties were up like 70%. You have a homestead so are capped at 10%. Commercial/investment properties have no homestead so they are subject to the entire increase immediately. The commercial properties are essentially absorbing all the increase.
Oh, totally agree that the homestead vs non-homestead change in tax bills are probably pretty wonky. I was just not expecting it to go down. I think part of the housing correction is rental property owners unloading properties that they do not want to pay taxes on and also 'cashing out' while market is high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin