Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:46 PM

29 posts, read 152,301 times

Advertisements

besides the roach motels there's a company that sells a clear gel. You push it out of the tube with this hypodermic needle-like contraption into the crevices and along walls where the roaches go. Bought it at Lowes. Sorry I can't recall the name. There's a version for ants and one for roaches. Both have worked well for me, along with a general bug spray from an organic company called Green Light, also something I found at Lowes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 AM

6 posts, read 88,166 times
If someone already posted this I'm sorry for the repeat information. The "HUGE"ish 2" long brown roaches, which are sometimes referred to as "water bugs" are actually American Roaches. They don't really thrive inside houses buy because of the heat wave the Austin and central TX has been having they have been trying to find a cooler and moister place to live. American Roaches are not the roaches that everybody thinks of when people think that roaches=bad house keeping. Those are the German Roach (you can tell because they are smaller and have two black stripes on their heads). Like i said, you don't really have to worry about these guys trying to take over your house, because they actually prefer to live outside, just coming inside for some food and water. As for the egg pods, they can contain anywhere from 14-16 babies inside of them. They will usually come in through open doors, or cracks between the weatherstripping and the door, or the doggy door that your pooch uses to go outside. The slightly startling fact is that sometimes they are actually coming in on stuff we buy, things like kids toys, that lamp the you just bought from a local garage sale.

Roaches, are responsible for things like allergies and asthma in kids and adults, they will leave a danger just like pets do as well, so those of you with sensitive lungs just be on the look out. Baits (gels as mentioned above) work well on these guys, but the best way is to do an exterior treatment (closing up weep holes, you know the gaps between the bricks or in the lime stone masonary, with steel wool) something that will start taking affect before the roach can make it into your house, that way if you do see it, or only seeing a dead roach or at worst a dying roach.

My name is Alex, if you guys need any help with pest control you can call me at (512) 926-1509, thats my office number. I am a pest control tech with Oliver Termite and Pest Control a locally owned and operated company. Give us a call. If not thats cool too, but there is some helpful information that you guys might be able to use. I will be trolling the boards if you guys want any advice as well. As a kid i moved to Austin from WI and was scared to death of everything that crawled on the ground, especially during cricket season (august-november).

Last edited by LCRAguy; 08-26-2008 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 03:18 PM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,665 times
Try insect caulk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin