Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,938 times

Advertisements

I am a Spanish teacher, unhappy where I am right now. My husband and I are looking to relocate. We have visited Austin various times and love it. We are both teachers. Will we even be considered with our out-of-state certificates? We know we'd be taking a big pay cut by moving to Austin from the Northeast. But, does the cost of living down there balance that out? Are teachers really needed in the Austin area/surroundings? Where should we be looking for jobs?(towns, districts) Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,702 times
I'm only passing on what a friend says (he's a teacher) and what I read in a couple of articles...language and bi-lingual teachers are one of the categories in demand. Round Rock ISD starts teachers at 40K. That's my whole reference of teacher info!

I don't know anything about out of state certificates or how to get licensed in Texas to teach, but there are several university extension programs that can help you do that if you have to take classes.

It's hard to answer your questions about cost of living difference without knowing more info...where do you live, what's your housing cost now, what type of house, what is your expectation for housing in Austin...give me some more detail and I can give you further info.

The main area school districts are:
Austin ISD (central including low income east side, middle income central, burbs down south, some higher income areas in west)
Round Rock ISD (mainly the burbs north of Austin)
Eanes ISD (mostly very upscale - lots of million dollar homes served by this dist.)
Leander ISD (the burbs northwest of Austin)
Lake Travis ISD (lots of upscale homes by the lake)

Did I miss one....anyone?
Maybe - Hays Consolidated (the burbs very south of Austin)

You can google these districts individually and read about them.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,189 times
Hi - if you have an "in demand" out of state license (special ed, bi-lingual) then I think you are in good shape. Also, if you are very willing to commute and/or take a job anywhere to get your foot in the door, that increases your odds.

I was dual certified in school counseling and secondary English when I moved here in June 2006, and was able to get a school counseling job immediately (I literally interviewed my 3rd day after arriving!), but school counselors are in need here. I didn't get my Texas licensure until several months later (beware of the time lag it takes for the state to process paperwork - literally months) but the schools didn't have a problem "knowing" I would receive licensure. If you have a valid out of state license, you WILL get at least a one year certification. I had to take additional tests to receive my standard licensure, despite having 2 Master's degrees and 8 years experience.

The pay cut is shocking, and in MY opinion, the cost of living does not balance it out. I came from Rhode Island and took a 15k salary cut. Ouch. But the quality of life is high, so I'm okay with the financial hit. It also helps that I am the "secondary" income (my huband makes the "big bucks" to support our family of 5, lol).

HTH.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
You left out Hutto. They also start at 40k. Hutto is a smaller town North East of Austin, right next door to Round Rock.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:17 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
You left out Hutto. They also start at 40k. Hutto is a smaller town North East of Austin, right next door to Round Rock.
OH! And I left out Pflugerville too!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:30 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Yeah! What's up with that crossingsofcarmelcreek.com has some interesting info on things that are going to be happening in our little corner of the world.... It also has a few little facts about Kyle as well.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,001 times
Don't forget to take into account the hit your SS payments will take. It is called Government Pension Offset. Also look up Windfall Elimination Provision. Texas is one of several states that doesn't take out SS.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:53 AM

8 posts, read 34,315 times
The tricky thing can be the school district's requirements for "highly qualified" teachers. You have to prove you have mastered the content knowledge (among other crazy thing thanks to NCLB). One way you do that is by taking a Praxis test, the test that is also required for licensure.

Getting a Texas certificate wasn't hard. You send the state board your current certificate and transcripts and they decide whether or not it is equitable (for a fee). If it is they give you a 1 year preliminary certificate (once you are fingerprinted and have paid yet again). During that year you take the prescribed tests and wham! 5 year certificate.

The process took about 4 months start to finish and I wasn't hired until my fingerprints ahd cleared and the district had declared me "highly qualified" based on my experience and college course credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin