U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Amazing things about Austin Texas, people and hospitality, neighborly spirit, positives of Austin, Willie Nelsonís Roadhouse restaurant, and newcomers welcome

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:53 PM

16,257 posts, read 22,171,448 times
People are, indeed, decent everywhere. However, Austin (and Texas in general) has a culture of friendliness and being helpful to a stranger in need. It's just how we express that basic human decency that you can find anywhere - we're (most of us) not quite as reserved as some other places, so it shows more.

After all, Tejas does mean "friend". It's a cultural tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,433,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
And you never had someone say hi in the city you grew up in, or came from? Please, people are decent everywhere......
The only people who say hi to you on the street in Boston usually have something wrong with them (i.e. creepy). Or they're just visiting.

I'm pretty sure NYC is the same way. Love both cities, but not very friendly.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 PM

957 posts, read 2,388,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
The only people who say hi to you on the street in Boston usually have something wrong with them (i.e. creepy). Or they're just visiting.

I'm pretty sure NYC is the same way. Love both cities, but not very friendly.
Have you ever been to NY? It sounds like you haven't since you say you're sure NYC is the same way, but then make a generalization about their attitudes. I find that NYers are very friendly. They're different, but I have never encountered a rude NYer and I've been plenty of times.

Last edited by LookingtoLeave; 06-09-2008 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
And you never had someone say hi in the city you grew up in, or came from? Please, people are decent everywhere......
Yet you say this in another post...

I really did not find it that easy to get responces from folks, and I'm a very outgoing person.....I really find much of Austin's friendly persona as much hype as the live capital of the world stuff....just another city, just another metro, and very typical is all........

I'm sorry, but you confuse me. You contradict yourself by saying that Austinites aren't that friendly and that some neighbors in your apt. complex don't speak to you and then tell me "Please, people are decent everywhere."

So I guess what you meant to say is they're decent everywhere but Austin, right?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,433,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Speak for yourself. NYers are very friendly. They're different, but I have never encountered a rude NYer and I've been plenty of times.
Seriously?! You've never encountered a rude NYer?!?!?! I find that very very VERY hard to believe. Hell, they PRIDE themselves on it! Maybe you were thinking upstate NY? I should have clarified that I meant New York City. I was just there a month or two ago, and within 20 minutes of driving (from the airport) in traffic a cop yelled on his car bullhorn-thing (to someone else who was beeping) "Lay of the horn or I'm going to come over there and shove it up your ass!"

HAH! "Yep, I'm definitely in NY!" I said to myself. I used to answer phones way back when and you ALWAYS knew when it was a New Yorker because they were so to-the-point and somewhat rude (i.e. "Yeah, get me Scott." as opposed to "Hi, can I speak to Scott please?"). Personally, I don't have a problem with it, and I think it's kind of funny. I have lots of friends and some family from NYC and they're all like that. It can be off-putting to people who are not from there, however.

Oh, and I have been to NY. Tons of times. I've just never lived there.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Seriously?! You've never encountered a rude NYer?!?!?! I find that very very VERY hard to believe. Hell, they PRIDE themselves on it! Maybe you were thinking upstate NY? I should have clarified that I meant New York City. I was just there a month or two ago, and within 20 minutes of driving (from the airport) in traffic a cop yelled on his car bullhorn-thing (to someone else who was beeping) "Lay of the horn or I'm going to come over there and shove it up your ass!"

HAH! "Yep, I'm definitely in NY!" I said to myself. I used to answer phones way back when and you ALWAYS knew when it was a New Yorker because they were so to-the-point and somewhat rude (i.e. "Yeah, get me Scott." as opposed to "Hi, can I speak to Scott please?"). Personally, I don't have a problem with it, and I think it's kind of funny. I have lots of friends and some family from NYC and they're all like that. It can be off-putting to people who are not from there, however.
Ha. Your post had me dying laughing! Call me lucky then, but no I have yet to ever meet a rude NYer. I realize I haven't met all 8+ million, but so far, so good. To be honest, I've been treated worse in Cali, although I would never think they're all bad in SoCal. I've never even been upstate, but have been to NYC plenty of times and will be back again soon. I know their anal about honking and a NYer should know better, but I've never heard anyone get yelled at for it...although I wish I was right there by you when the cop said it.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:29 PM

746 posts, read 2,862,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I don't get you scrongress....

You said recently ...

You said previously ...
Jenbar, do me a favor, and don't dig up old posts...I promise I will never do that to anyone else here...ever.....why would anyone do that? What would make one want to go through someone's old posts on here to refute/prove arguments ? Does one have to really inspire someone to go through that effort? There has never been one person on here that has caused me to look up his/her old posts period, let alone use them to refute/prove arguments.

Again, I never do that to anyone on here, and just ask that others give me that same consideration. Do we sometimes contradict ourselves on here? Yes. Are we always on point? usually, but not always? Is the web a substitute for real life conversation? No......do people contradict themselves in real-life conversation? Yes, and often IN the same conversation. In real life chat, can we accest past "posts" to refute/prove points? No. In real life, are there moderators to censor talks?
No....

Do I prove my point?

Probably not........

Old 06-09-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
Could there be 4 personalities? Scongress1,2,3,4? Because it is sincerely baffling...
Rosered, this is real-life....that itself is baffling. When we talk to people in real life, we encounter very complex individuals, who have much going on inside, and are more interesting to speak with as that ambivalence, complexity, and, ultimately, unique personality is felt in its true depths. I thrive on getting to the core of myself and others, and I would be the first to admit that I am a real person, with all the uniqueness and complexity inherent in such a real person.
Now, the internet is NO substitute for a true, in depth probing of the complexities of an individuals core. Put it this way, I can't even mention or address the monitor of this thread on here without beind deleted. Would you consider a conversational mode that requires a monitor 24/7 to approximate anything close to an adult, in-depth discussion? I think not, and am certain this will be deleted for the same shortly....if not, thanks trainwreck! You prove that one can air reasonable discourse without being deleted.....i hope

Old 06-09-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Granted, I was only there for less than a week, but I found Austin to be the most friendly city I've ever been to. And I've been to most of the major ones. I can be a little shy and can come off as somewhat reserved (grew up in New England), but most (if not all) of the people I met in Austin were BEYOND friendly. And not in a creepy way, heh. Just sincerely nice and helpful (ESPECIALLY after I told them I was moving there, I might add). I was pretty blown away. I'm always amazed when people on this forum describe it as unfriendly. Again, I know that everything is subjective, but that's my take.
Again, depends what you define as friendly.....I smile too, say thank you, open doors and such...I don't think I'm any greater for it, or even particularly friendly....I just do it because that's how I was raised, and that's why the people you run into do it....remember also, that its a southern thing....this point I have never seen on city-data.....the south as a region is friendly, in that southern mode, and that extents from Tennessee east to the carolinas and back west to Texas, which is very much a southern state, from what I understand....EVERY city in the south has teens that address elders as sir and Maam...they do in Houston, SA, and dallas-FW as well.....I think this is simply the first time most of these posters have LIVED in the south, and are giving attributes to a city, which just reflects the mores of a very large region, known as the south.......
That being said, much of that is VERY superficial in Austin, and it is VERY hard to really get to know people in a real sense there. You always hear the same anecdote about the "saintly" store clerk who strikes up a conversation, without the newies realizing that thats the same for the entire 75,000,000 folks that live in the south proper........thats all it is, folks.....you can say the same about ANY southern city.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Your story is timely. The Seattle times has a section on Sundays called "Rant and Rave" where people can write in and rant or rave about something or someone. About three weeks ago someone wrote in and ranted about how her husband took a nasty spill on the Burke Gilman Trail on his way to work. She ranted at the dozens of riders that rode by leaving her husband flat on his back in the middle of the trail in the mud and the rain. She then raved for the biker who stopped to administer aid. What she noted was how long and how many people it took to pass before someone stopped to help someone clearly injured. I don't know about you, but it is troubles me that dozens of people rode by before someone stopped to help. I remember taking a spill on the Velloway once and several people that saw me go down stopped to make sure I was ok.

I might add that I was in Seattle for a week. One guy ran up to me to give me back my wallet, which dropped out. I had other "Saintly" experiences, but I would not presume because of that that the Seattle metro is "nice"... Is that not beyond cloying to make a generalized statement about a few random acts?
Another experience....I was beaten up in Miami, and was taken in by a local for help, and driven by him to a hospital. So, what do I say about Miami? Is it good or bad? Neither? Just ran into a very nice and very mean person in the same night is all.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin