Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Amazing things about Austin Texas, people and hospitality, neighborly spirit, positives of Austin, Willie Nelson’s Roadhouse restaurant, and newcomers welcome

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:21 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
...actually, I couldn't
even get a hello out of most of the people in my apartment complex, or in most places I went to. I just found it typical of other metros at best per friendliness, but, often, found people somewhat into themselves and standoffish as well. I really did not find it that easy to get responces from folks, and I'm a very outgoing person.....I really find much of Austin's friendly persona as much hype as the live capital of the world stuff....just another city, just another metro, and very typical is all........
Have you ever tried speaking to your neighbors first? Or do you wait for them to say hello?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 11:35 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
Quote:
And I'm sure people in Seattle have experienced kindness from strangers.
It's rare!!

The other week, my husband fell on the road and suffered injuries, on the way to riding his bike to work. Immediately, someone stopped, gave aid, and took him to work in his car... when my husband called and told me this, the first thing out of my mouth was "That would have never happened in Seattle!"

So while I can't make an across the board general statement that kindness doesn't happen in Seattle... it seems like HERE people take the time to help others more often, than in other places... so much so that it seems normal to most here, and shocking to those of us who moved here from somewhere else.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
I don't get you scrongress....

You said recently ...
Quote:
I couldn't even get a hello out of most of the people in my apartment complex, or in most places I went to.
You said previously ...
Quote:
I can truly say that those were possibly the best months of my life. I had so many sweet moments walking down all the usual ramparts, exchanging great chats with great people, and all.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:05 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I don't get you scrongress....

You said recently ...

You said previously ...

Could there be 4 personalities? Scongress1,2,3,4? Because it is sincerely baffling...

Old 06-09-2008, 01:13 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
Granted, I was only there for less than a week, but I found Austin to be the most friendly city I've ever been to. And I've been to most of the major ones. I can be a little shy and can come off as somewhat reserved (grew up in New England), but most (if not all) of the people I met in Austin were BEYOND friendly. And not in a creepy way, heh. Just sincerely nice and helpful (ESPECIALLY after I told them I was moving there, I might add). I was pretty blown away. I'm always amazed when people on this forum describe it as unfriendly. Again, I know that everything is subjective, but that's my take.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:24 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
It's rare!!

The other week, my husband fell on the road and suffered injuries, on the way to riding his bike to work. Immediately, someone stopped, gave aid, and took him to work in his car... when my husband called and told me this, the first thing out of my mouth was "That would have never happened in Seattle!"

So while I can't make an across the board general statement that kindness doesn't happen in Seattle... it seems like HERE people take the time to help others more often, than in other places... so much so that it seems normal to most here, and shocking to those of us who moved here from somewhere else.
Your story is timely. The Seattle times has a section on Sundays called "Rant and Rave" where people can write in and rant or rave about something or someone. About three weeks ago someone wrote in and ranted about how her husband took a nasty spill on the Burke Gilman Trail on his way to work. She ranted at the dozens of riders that rode by leaving her husband flat on his back in the middle of the trail in the mud and the rain. She then raved for the biker who stopped to administer aid. What she noted was how long and how many people it took to pass before someone stopped to help someone clearly injured. I don't know about you, but it is troubles me that dozens of people rode by before someone stopped to help. I remember taking a spill on the Velloway once and several people that saw me go down stopped to make sure I was ok.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:44 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Granted, I was only there for less than a week, but I found Austin to be the most friendly city I've ever been to. And I've been to most of the major ones. I can be a little shy and can come off as somewhat reserved (grew up in New England), but most (if not all) of the people I met in Austin were BEYOND friendly. And not in a creepy way, heh. Just sincerely nice and helpful (ESPECIALLY after I told them I was moving there, I might add). I was pretty blown away. I'm always amazed when people on this forum describe it as unfriendly. Again, I know that everything is subjective, but that's my take.
This is not a scientific correlation by any stretch...but I've noticed that my mood/negativity quotient in relation to how much time I spend quibbling on this forum with folks on the virtues and/or shortcomings of Austin, seem to be directly proportional.

I'm into debate and discussing civic issues, but let's be honest: everyone has their own set of criterion that make them happy or unhappy. ANYWHERE. Our perceptions are formed based on a combination of expectations and personal history. Expecting others to see clearly through our own personal "viewfinder" is difficult if not impossible. Bully tactics, excessive sarcasm, elitism and unfair comparisons won't get it done.

As far as the friendliness factor goes, jeez that's hard to say. I tend to think people are pretty similar on the inside with a vast array of outer shells, depending on their environment. There are sinners and saints, and then everyone else in the middle Hence the perceived outward stereotypes of city dwellers vs country folks.

Having said that, we've definitely noticed a more cordial attitude between strangers. Lots of casual hand waving (which btw, is a beautiful semiotic, ripe with meaning and symbolism), friendly body language and a general vibe of happiness. Contrast this with many of the tense faces you see in areas like the East/West Coast mega-cities. I can see why people might seem friendlier.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Granted, I was only there for less than a week, but I found Austin to be the most friendly city I've ever been to.
Agreed! I was in the Frost Bank bldg downtown last week waiting for people and random people walking by smiled and said hello.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:36 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dporgie View Post
I guess some of us are easier to impress.

I have been here almost 3 weeks and have stumbled upon much more than the washed-up, jumped-the-shark, town-that-thinks-it's-a-city place these naysayers claim Austin has become.

For culture I have gone to the Texas State Museum, which is free the first Saturday of each month, and learned all about the history of this state. I also plan to visit the Blanton which, i believe, has ART. Last Thursday I went to First Thursday on South Congress and guess what? there were actual ARTISTS there selling and showing their works. Want more culture? Every Sunday there is a free performance outside the Long Center. 2 Sundays ago there was a string ensemble playing Broadway and Classical selections. Yesterday it was big band.

As far as food goes I have sampled everything from street food to high class and the biggest difference I have found between Austin and NYC is the price. Just try to find the quality of Wink or Jeffreys in Manhattan without taking out a loan. Both of these fine places are half the price, have NONE of the attitude and you can actually get a reservation without calling 3 months in advance. At Wink the chef actually came to our table to have a chat. You think this would happen in Chicago, LA or NYC?!?!

Now let's talk about outdoor activities. In the short time I have been here I have hiked the Barton Creek Greenbelt, tubed the San Marcos, walked the Town Lake trail, watched the bats, visited the Zilker Botanical Gardens, attended the Learn To Row open house at the Austin Rowing Club and just plain walked around the downtown areas which, I fine to be very pleasant.

What else have I done in this "terrible, awful place?"

I have had drinks on one of the rooftop bars on 6th Street and actually had money when I left and the bartender was, gasp, friendly. Try ordering a round of drinks in a "real" city and see how much money you have when you get home. I also paid a visit to The Velveeta Room and for a whole five dollars I got entertained and, once again, had affordable drinks.

Yes, there are negatives, no place is perfect. The traffic stinks but guess what? Traffic stinks EVERYWHERE. Where I came from in New Jersey the rush hour goes from 6am to 10am in the morning and 3pm to 7pm at night. Sprinkle in lunchtime traffic and guess what? You can't drive anywhere without traffic on a weekday.

Maybe Austin was waaaaaaaay better years ago but most likely, the people who claim this were just younger and more adventurous. The activities are here, you just have to want to find them.
And again, my point is that EVERY large city and metro has all those things......and seeing the blanton and bullock completes the 3 week tour,
otherwise known as the "gilligan's island tour", of Austin's musuem complex.......sitck around for a year and see if you are still enthused, as you find yourself hitting the same places and streets every week.
AND, no one said it was awful....its fun, but not the superlative place the top 10 lists make it out to be..nothing more special than columbus or indianapolis....
and thats not such a bad thing....

Old 06-09-2008, 08:40 PM

746 posts, read 3,727,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
Agreed! I was in the Frost Bank bldg downtown last week waiting for people and random people walking by smiled and said hello.

And you never had someone say hi in the city you grew up in, or came from? Please, people are decent everywhere......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin