Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:11 PM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times

Advertisements

I think golds gym is hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 02:50 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
I sold everything that wouldn't fit in the back of my car and drove down. I had a room waiting for me, but you could probably find one on Craigslist for $400 or so. Live on ramen and cheap local food (plenty of it) for a while until you find a job.

You can move to Austin on $4000. I had less than this when I came down. It all depends on how much you are willing to sacrifice to do it.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 PM

141 posts, read 466,840 times
Thanks for all the wonderful support! It's so nice to know that people are supportive and encouraging for once in my life! I have thought about selling everything I own that doesn't fit in my car, but unfortunately I just bought a lot of my bedroom furniture pieces last summer after a break up and they mean a lot to me. They symbolize me starting a new life. :O)

Old 06-27-2008, 01:42 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRandi View Post

I have 3 dogs and I'm finding it very difficult to find a cheap apartment that doesn't have bad reviews and that will accept my 3 dogs! What should I do?
3 dogs in an apartment? You might have better luck renting a house instead.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:18 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
Mike, where did you take those pictures? It looks wonderful!! I want to take MY dog there.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:56 PM
HGL

1 posts, read 874 times
Oh my gosh I am in EXACTLY the same situation. I am 24, have a degree is sports sciences and am desperately trying to move to Austin to get a new start after life in southern california with my bf took a downturn. Please all keep your fingers crossed. I have applied for TONS of jobs in Austin already at universities, hospitals, non-profits, etc. Basically anything that can get me started. I quit my job in socal in order to get away from the horrible living situation I found myself in and have no source of income back home yet, but I have a number of interviews set up so I'm hopeful that with some patience I will be able to get a job offer in texas or save up enough to get there in the next few months.

One thing I am doing is applying to grad school at UT Austin so if nothing else I will hopefully get to Austin by august for school!!!!

The advice everyone has given has been great and please keep positive thoughts for me because I could really use them right now!!!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:15 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Thinking outside of the box a bit...if you're a personal trainer how about designing a boot camp program that's held at a public park (while that's still free)...set up a company name and a website. Then contact Groupon, Localiter, etc. and offer a 50% off coupon for a boot camp class. Instant initial clients and income with no need to network first. If you're good you will build your clientele from that point by word of mouth. Having seen how many people buy those personal trainer coupons, there's no way all those buyers are vetting that the company/trainer has been around a long time.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:55 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
You are bored in Albuquerque??? I don't understand. You have a beautiful year round climate, mountains with tons of hiking opportunities, you are close to great skiing in Northern NM and CO??? Are you telling me there aren't bars and clubs in ABQ?? Come on. Austin is without a doubt, one of the most boring, uninteresting cities in the nation. There is no "VIBE" here unless it's coming from the media. PLEASE consider Denver if you are looking for a more "cool" place. Remember, Austin is the capital of the most conservative state in the nation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRandi View Post
I am 24 yrs old and currently living in Albuquerque, NM. My bf and I are going through tough times and I'm ready to get my own place and get a fresh start. I've always wanted to move to Austin, but past boyfriends have kept me from moving there. I've visited Austin several times and I love the vibe I get from there! I've always lived in boring places (El Paso & Albuquerque) that don't offer much for a younger crowd to do.

Now that I'm seriously considering moving, I'm realizing that it is going to be so difficult and I almost want to give up my dream of getting a fresh start somewhere where I want to be. I only have $4000 saved and have no help from friends or family so I am all on my own for moving. I thought that would be plenty of money, but I'm realizing that money will go quick since I will be moving on my own.

Can anyone who moved on their own offer any advice on how they did it (i.e., moving companies, transporting truck/car/belongings, finding an apartment) and how much time it took planning their move?

I have 3 dogs and I'm finding it very difficult to find a cheap apartment that doesn't have bad reviews and that will accept my 3 dogs! What should I do?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:04 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Austin is without a doubt, one of the most boring, uninteresting cities in the nation. There is no "VIBE" here unless it's coming from the media. PLEASE consider Denver if you are looking for a more "cool" place. Remember, Austin is the capital of the most conservative state in the nation!
I thought that was Wyoming or Utah?

Though I don't think that has anything to do with what is "boring" or not.

Agree with you that the media has gotten out of control with regards to Austin being a supposed shangri-la however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin