U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:52 PM

1,941 posts, read 1,974,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguelena View Post
Lots of good info here. I'd like to piggyback on the original question. I'm a certified ESL teacher with 21 years experience in Maryland. Most of my experience has been in challenging, Title 1 elementary schools with very diverse populations. My Spanish is OK but I wouldn't call myself bilingual. I realize that AISD services Spanish speaking elementary students in bilingual classes and other languages via ESL. What do you think my chances of employment would be? (I'm aware of the salary cut I'd be taking.) Any thoughts/advice are welcome!
I would think your chances are rather high. You will need to get certified here in Texas if you haven't already and it can take a few months for the entire process, so get hopping. It is a little expensive to get certified here. If you can get a bilingual certification I believe the stipend is around $2500 and may go up soon. Here is SBEC's website for certification questions-

Welcome to the State Board for Educator Certification (http://www.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/default.asp - broken link)

Here is AISD's website to check out jobs and different schools-

Austin Independent School District : Human Resources (http://www.austinisd.org/inside/hr/searchresults.phtml - broken link)

Hope this helps a bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 10:30 AM

36 posts, read 102,401 times
Thanks!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:14 PM

48 posts, read 122,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I'm a 4th Grade teacher at a school in AISD that has a huge bilingual population. Here are a few of the pluses you may have going for you:

#1- You speak Spanish. Schools with large bilingual populations are always in need of Spanish
#2- You are male and you are interviewing for a 3rd Grade spot. Our school just hired 5/8 male teachers (2 3rd grade bilingual males)
#3- You have experience

Possible cons:
#1- Your Spanish sucks. Our 3rd Grade team interviewed the candidates in Spanish and made part of their decision based on how well they spoke in Spanish. Now, if you are going to be a transitional classroom, your Spanish may suffice.
#2- You do not know what 3rd grade teaches...google the TEKS (Texas standards and find out!). 3rd is a huge TAKS grade here in Texas (Math, Reading need to be passed to be promoted, theoretically).
#3- It's Travis Heights. It is in a cool location and a cool diverse population (I like Title I schools, others may want to teach in Eanes ISD and frown upon teaching at a Title I, not I). So, you may have a bit of competition from other bilinguals wanting to go there.

You will need to show you are strong in Math and Reading. How will you bring those low kids up to pass the TAKS? What strategies will you use to get them there? What will your Math/Reading block (class time) look like?

Also, how will you teach writing to help them prepare for the 4th grade TAKS? I'm not sure if they would even ask that, but it would look great that you are trying to prepare them for that next grade and not focusing only on passing 3rd (which many schools do sadly).

Good Luck

Great information. Well first off on the opening position on the AISD website it said: 3rd grade teacher (bilingual preferred). By that description i may not have to be fluent or even in a bilingual class. I look at the state standards good idea. The only issue i have is if they want me to teach in spanish.

Quick question how long is a typical day? 5 hrs with students right?

In retrospect my spanish isn't that bad, but i won't be able to teach entire lesson, just supplement as most elementary schools suggest.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:23 PM

sanmiguela

Just a little helpful information, since so many people have been so helpful to me .

1. First you need to fill out a an online application at AISD.

2. Then you will be prompted to send your cover letter, resume, copy of your teaching degree, etc by mail.

3. After that you have to make an account on the website given above.

4. Then you have send ALL your official transcipts, teaching degree etc, to Austin for a review of credentials 177 bucks (rip off). This is the step i am on.

5. After that they will tell you what you need to do to be certified in texas, probably take a test like me.

I highly recommend faxing all your resumes to all the school your interested after your done with step 2. I did that and got two phone calls. Just don't apply to Travis Heights Elementary.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:34 PM

Two more basic questions

3rd grade teacher (bilingual preferred)

what does this mean?

how long does a 3rd grade teacher have with children during a school day? Typically?

Old 06-13-2008, 02:37 PM

1,941 posts, read 1,974,541 times
School hours are 7:30-2:45. Teachers are expected to be at school from 7:30-3:30, but most come in earlier and stay a bit later. Here was my typical day this past year:

6:30- Came in to make copies, plan future lessons, grade homework, etc.
7:30- Students arrive, begin Entry Task
8:00- 9:15- Math
9:15-9:35- KBAR (Kick Back and Read- silent reading)
9:35-10:15- Reading
10:15-11:15- Writing
11:15-11:35- Recess (my school does not have playground monitors, so the teachers are outside with the students)
11:35-12:15- Social Studies
12:15-12:45- Lunch
1:00-1:45- Specials (Art, Music, P.E.)/Planning period (no kids)
1:45-2:45- Science
2:45- Dismissal
3:00-4:00- Tutoring (Monday, Wednesday)

I'm not sure what bilingual preferred means. It could be a transitional class (not ESL) with the majority of instruction in English. However, at my school the 2 bilingual 3rd grade classes were taught in Spanish, I would say, 90% of the time. The 4th grade bilingual classes were taught in Spanish 75% of the time.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:30 PM

well sounds good i think i can handle teaching math, science, reading, writing, and social studies.

Entry Activity, what do you do for this? (question of the day?)

Is there a pacing guide with all activities given?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin