Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:36 PM

36 posts, read 158,409 times

Advertisements

So many of the participants on this forum seem to be pretty young - either single or with young families. I'm looking for some impressions/experiences of older transplants - i.e. 50+ perhaps? Do they exist (outside of Sun City)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Read everything here with a grain of salt. My husband and I are "middle" aged and love Austin. All of the "you'll feel out of place after you turn 30" garbage on here is just that. I have honestly never made so many friends in one place and those friends range from 18 to 84.

Austin is a city full of people of all ages. Yes, the population is probably skewed toward the younger end because of the University but I honestly never feel out of place. In fact, this city makes me feel young.

Sun City?? Not now and not ever. Living in a neighborhood full of people in the same age group simply has no appeal for me and never will.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:57 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
There are plenty of retirement homes in the area.~ Just kidding

Yes, there are lots of people your age. Most of the employees I work with are in their mid forty's / fifties.

-Mike

Old 06-11-2008, 08:11 PM

122 posts, read 407,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguelena View Post
So many of the participants on this forum seem to be pretty young - either single or with young families. I'm looking for some impressions/experiences of older transplants - i.e. 50+ perhaps? Do they exist (outside of Sun City)?
We are 50ish transplants from San Diego. Actually, I'm a native Southern Californian. We moved here last August, and we are very happy.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 PM

746 posts, read 3,726,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cub77cub View Post
We are 50ish transplants from San Diego. Actually, I'm a native Southern Californian. We moved here last August, and we are very happy.
I think if young minded folks move here, if they are over 45 or so......they sort of self-reinforce that tendency.... in other words, if they were bothered by the age disparity, they wouldn't be here....obviously not everyone finds a florida environment conducive to enjoyment. Also, there is a HUGE boom in retirees, and we are talking over 55 and up, retiring in college towns of all sizes. Its bucolic, stimulating, and yes, makes you feel and look young.....my rule of thought there is that High School teachers look and act younger than their age, from being surrounded by kids. Austin will do that to you too!

Now, that being said, yes, many Austin events have lots of kids, and it always isn't heavenly to listen to the thumping of bass in cars, hear drunken escapades and pick-ups going on and all, or swearing, but you take the good and bad....to be honest, ive seen retirees on 6th street, and they are happy as can be, though I have not seen one dance on Coyote Ugly's bar yet....

Old 06-12-2008, 10:21 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Quote:
Now, that being said, yes, many Austin events have lots of kids, and it always isn't heavenly to listen to the thumping of bass in cars, hear drunken escapades and pick-ups going on and all, or swearing, but you take the good and bad....to be honest, ive seen retirees on 6th street, and they are happy as can be, though I have not seen one dance on Coyote Ugly's bar yet....
sanmiguelena, I'm not sure where this guy hangs out but we haven't had these problems when we're out and about.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:45 PM

62 posts, read 180,120 times
I am 50+ and what I love about Austin is that the younger people don't seem to isolate as much as they do elsewhere. My interests are more involved with art, somewhat modern, and in some other places I have been shoved off into the Sunday-painters circles but in Austin the interests mean more to people than the age of the interested. It's almost like a slice of 1930's Paris got preserved, here. And the climate that is so much like Provence is great, too.

For me, this has been a life-saver.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:36 PM

124 posts, read 563,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theaustinegalitarian View Post
I am 50+ and what I love about Austin is that the younger people don't seem to isolate as much as they do elsewhere. My interests are more involved with art, somewhat modern, and in some other places I have been shoved off into the Sunday-painters circles but in Austin the interests mean more to people than the age of the interested. It's almost like a slice of 1930's Paris got preserved, here. And the climate that is so much like Provence is great, too.

For me, this has been a life-saver.
just curious... where are you going that there events like this? It sounds great, and something I'd enjoy going to.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:45 PM

62 posts, read 180,120 times
hook up with the group in this list: Austin Figurative Gallery » artists
and look here: Arts listings (http://www.austin360.com/arts/content/arts/stories/xl/2008/06/0605xlartslist.html - broken link)

Old 06-20-2008, 09:36 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
We are transplants from 24 years ago and are in our mid 50s. Occasionally, we wish for a slower pace as Austin is very energetic and full of youthful endeavors. We live in a central neighborhood and are surrounded by lots of people in their 80s as well as young couples just starting out. I like it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: