Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:48 PM

30 posts, read 145,916 times

Advertisements

I see that Dell has finance positions such as Senior Finance Manager open from time to time. Does anyone have any insights as to how their finance department is to work for? I talked to one finance recruiter here in Houston and he said he used to work for them but did not like it. He did not really say why. We are potentially relocating from Houston. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 01:52 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Gators_07 View Post
I see that Dell has finance positions such as Senior Finance Manager open from time to time. Does anyone have any insights as to how their finance department is to work for? I talked to one finance recruiter here in Houston and he said he used to work for them but did not like it. He did not really say why. We are potentially relocating from Houston. Thanks for any info.
If you enjoy slave labor, Dell is the place for you. Enough said. And trust me, everyone that's worked in their accounting/finance departments will tell you the same thing. No way you could pay me enough money to work at Dell. No way, no how.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:31 PM

30 posts, read 145,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
If you enjoy slave labor, Dell is the place for you. Enough said. And trust me, everyone that's worked in their accounting/finance departments will tell you the same thing. No way you could pay me enough money to work at Dell. No way, no how.
Thanks. That's backs up what I've heard.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:36 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Please take whatever AustinTexan says with a HUGE grain of salt, or two...

There are a lot of rumors about working for Dell, many of them way over exaggerated or from the past. My husband works there, though not in finance, and he absolutely does not feel like he's "slave labor" - what a thing to compare ...

He had a culture shock coming from a progressive NW company like Microsoft, but he's acclaimated well, and has a healthy work-home life-family balance. He's been there a year and a half.

I don't think he would say he's in his dream job, but he likes his group and coworkers, and feels challenged.

One of my very good friend's husband just accepted a job within Finance - though I don't know what he does specifically. He doesn't hate it, nor compare it to slave labor.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:53 PM

212 posts, read 1,154,098 times
They just got a new CFO last month, so there may be some fallout because of that. They also had an SEC probe a couple of years ago, but it appears to have been resolved without major scandal. They've started to lag the competition in recent years, and I'm sure the executive turnover is in reaction to that. I believe they're still a realtively stable company, and finance is in pretty high demand right now even if it wasn't.
I crashed their company X-Mas party back in 1999 or 2000 (can't remember which). Boy was that extravagant... I remember wanting to work there just for the Christmas Party back then I hear they've toned it down since then, though.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:00 PM

They no longer have company-wide Holiday parties.

Quote:
They just got a new CFO last month, so there may be some fallout because of that.
Like major layoffs.

Quote:
They also had an SEC probe a couple of years ago, but it appears to have been resolved without major scandal.
Other than major, ongoing lay offs.

Quote:
They've started to lag the competition in recent years, and I'm sure the executive turnover is in reaction to that.
So are the layoffs.

Quote:
I believe they're still a realtively stable company.
Tell that to the people fearing the next round of lay offs.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Please take whatever AustinTexan says with a HUGE grain of salt, or two...

There are a lot of rumors about working for Dell, many of them way over exaggerated or from the past. My husband works there, though not in finance, and he absolutely does not feel like he's "slave labor" - what a thing to compare ...

He had a culture shock coming from a progressive NW company like Microsoft, but he's acclaimated well, and has a healthy work-home life-family balance. He's been there a year and a half.

I don't think he would say he's in his dream job, but he likes his group and coworkers, and feels challenged.

One of my very good friend's husband just accepted a job within Finance - though I don't know what he does specifically. He doesn't hate it, nor compare it to slave labor.
Jenbar, I work in the Accounting/Finance world (12 years), so I run in a lot of the same circles as Dell Accounting/Finance employees or ex-employees. I can honestly say that MOST of the people I've asked about their jobs have all said the same thing, "the work schedule is brutal!" Your husband doesn't work in that department, so I don't think your comments are valid. I had a co-worker for 4 years who came from the Dell Accounting Dept (Revenue) and just hearing the stories of their monthly close schedule would make any accountant cringe. I wish those of you that don't have a clue (moved here/lived here a year) would refrain from commenting as if you knew Austin, it's culture, the people, etc.......because honestly, you are clueless.

Gator, you're better off getting advice from the natives who have lived in Austin and know a LOT MORE than people like Jenbar who think they know it all because they've lived here a year. The people who have moved here are in their "honeymoon" stage and think everything is just wonderful and they're just happy to be here and have found a job. To them, everything is just peachy. Dell is an absolute dump of a place to work and those who work there will someday wake up and realize it. But I don't want to burst anyone's bubble............Dell is a wonderful place to work. LOL!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Been here 12 years working in IT. Heard the stories about Dell. A few coworkers even jumped ship and went to work for them but all came back. This was in the day when the stock options were making Dellionaires out of people so everyone wanted to work there.

They are widely known for their stealth layoffs.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:20 PM

10 years ago, Dell use to be a great place to work, don't get me wrong. My best friend use to work in their Sales Dept and he won 3 different trips that Dell would pay for; basically, they would take their top employees to places like Europe, Cabo, etc. and the employees would get to take a guest, or spouse if they wanted. Anyway, Dell has cut out so many of the great things that made it a great place to work at and it's become a very cut throat company always looking for ways to improve their bottom line (accounting scandal that has recently surfaced). So basically, although some people who don't know any better would think it's a great place to work, those of us who know more of their history, know that it's become a dump compared to what it once was. Everyone is always running around scared that their going to get layed off and Dell loves it because it makes you work harder and put in longer hours. I could go on and on about the culture there because trust me, I know a lot about it, but I think you get the point. To each his own, but I would tell anyone and everyone to steer clear of that place if at all possible. There are so many great employers in and around Austin, don't get caught up in that mess.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I wish those of you that don't have a clue (moved here/lived here a year) would refrain from commenting as if you knew Austin, it's culture, the people, etc.......because honestly, you are clueless.
You don't work at Dell either, so honestly, you are just as clueless. You rant all over this board about a lot of things, spouting a LOT of inaccuracies about a myriad of topics. This is just one of those - so I don't think I am far off by stating to take ANYTHING you say with a grain of salt.

I don't think I said it's a great place to work either... what I said was that there are a lot of rumors about Dell and it's "slave labor" and many of those rumors are outdated, greatly exaggerated. I would also say that the rumors don't apply to MOST of the groups, outside of sales.

It's not like my husband is the only person I know who works for Dell - I live in PRIME Dell country over here.

FYI - My Austin experience resume goes back to 1992, and my Texas experience resume goes back further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin