U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:05 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,944,860 times
Default Stained-concrete floors vs. laminate

We've pulled up our carpet and have been getting estimates on new flooring. It'll be about the same price to have laminate installed (walnut-colored wide planks) throughout the house (minus baths/laundry) OR have stained concrete thoughout. I prefer the look of the concrete but we'd basically have to move out of the whole house (furniture and all) while its done.

Which do you think is better for resale? I keep hearing that laminate doesn't add value at all.

I also like real wood and tile. We'd be stretched to have it done AND our large family is murder on floors (and walls and furniture and everything else). Anyone heard of a wood product that's extra durable?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:23 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,658,435 times
Yes, I can't imagine that laminate adds any re-sale value. I like stained concrete in small doses, it can feel cold in large spaces (and in the winter it IS cold).

Real wood is very durable and adds resale value. I have real wood pre-finished floors but because it was not sanded in place (since it was already finished) I have some issues with the finish in the dining room where chairs go across it often. If I did it again, I do wood with it sanded and finished in place. But some folks love a pure, satiny finish and pre-finished gives you that since you don't have to worry about the level of humidity etc on the day it is done.

When looking at remodeled houses I have a thing against tile everywhere! Especially in living rooms and family -- travertine overload!

If you do concrete, stain it a warm color.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:33 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,944,860 times
Thanks! What type flooring would you mix with the concrete? I think transitioning from space to space with different heights would bother me (eg. wood or tile to concrete).

Old 06-16-2008, 08:09 PM

41,633 posts, read 44,854,191 times
If the laminate is one of the better ones not the cheap stuff like lowes sales some people that have kids love them over wood. They are more durable than wood.Just make sure it is one of water proof and has that high grade look;you'll know by the price. You have to go to a flooring center tho.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 PM

16,234 posts, read 22,143,012 times
I've had several clients decline to purchase a house with stained concrete floors that showed the hairline cracks that can occur with curing. All the reassurances in the world from professional foundation folk couldn't reassure them that there was not a problem, and thus the sale was lost.

Laminate, however, needs to be the good kind or it's an equal turnoff.

So, from a resale point of view, that's something to keep in mind.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:03 AM

233 posts, read 754,083 times
I agree with TexasHorseLady, people are funny about perfectly normal cracks in a foundation that they would never think about if the concrete is covered. You can also do concrete overlays which is about 1/8" thick and can hold a variety of stamps and textures. If it is really what you like and your are going to stay in the house for a while, going with stained concrete (but not stamped) will also allow you to install wood down the road if you think foundation cracks would be an issue for sale.

Personally, I would go for wood with tiled or stone entrys to protect from water damage as the best value for a traditional style house. Most of the finishes on the engineered wood will hold up just as well as the laminate finishes but don't have that laminate sound when you walk on them.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 AM

138 posts, read 312,525 times
I love the look of stained concrete but I think it can make the house a little harder to sell because its a little too "out there" for some people.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,651,252 times
We are having high quality laminate installed in our new house because we have a dog and wood floors and large dogs don't mix. I was amazed when I saw what the new high end laminates look like now. We are going with a 5" plank that looks hand scaped and distressed. 5 years ago when I looked at laminates they looked horrible amazing how they have improved.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:34 PM

75 posts, read 149,377 times
Stained concrete can look great if done professionally but is not something I would want everywhere. I think when the concrete is scored to look like large tile, it looks more pleasing. I wouldn't go this route unless I was able to put a heater element within the concrete prior to help heat the floor in the winter cause it will get REAL COLD and keep the temp in your room cold also (will take more to heat the room up).

Laminate, so long as you get the higher grade stuff, is much better. It also has it's downsides like making sure the subfloor is flat (this is extra cost) otherwise your planks will creak/dip when stepped on. Also would not skimp on the underlayment. I find floormuffler to be really good, better than cork plus you can find it on ebay fairly cheap.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:48 PM

134 posts, read 312,833 times
Please, please no more laminate. I would go with real hardwood if you can. It is so much warmer and inviting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin