Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:30 PM

264 posts, read 1,001,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Again, this is a joke folks....Austin is a great place. If we can't laugh at outselves, somethings wrong...
A lot of us laugh at your posts and I don't think anything's wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 PM

746 posts, read 3,726,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
A lot of us laugh at your posts and I don't think anything's wrong.

Cool, cause I'm ready to get frickin' crazy on here.....

Its a good thing, no need to take cover...I promise(said with fingers crossed behind back)

Old 06-18-2008, 06:08 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
No, I don't think that Austin is a cheap place to live...for sure not...but that's the reason that I hear lots of people give who are moving here. Compared to DC/NY/CA areas, I suppose it is.
That's what I thought you meant! Our uncle warned us how expensive it was here before we moved, so we sort of knew. But we're still surprised at housing prices sometimes. I expect NYC, SF, DC, LA, CHI to be ridiculous. They are older and established, have a lot of cultural, political and social things to offer, pay higher salaries and with the exception of LA, living without a car is possible. These things are less accessible in Austin as of now. I can even see how Austin would cost more than many other mid-sized cities - because of what it does offer - but the jump seems to be a bit extreme and the gap is closing.

I mean, if you have to rent indefinitely just to stay close to a city center(where much of the activity is), why not live in a bigger, more established city with more opportunities, better public transportation and higher earning potential?

We love Austin though and I hope we can afford to stay.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM

62 posts, read 180,145 times
(re past posts about UT-mania in Austin)

*LOL* true story, witnessed:

Someone standing near me was new to Austin when Ladybird Johnson died, and as all these people were making the "hookem-horns" sign (which I guess is similar to a rock-star 'satan' sign) while the hearse passed, she turned to her companion and said "Ohmigod! Why are they making devil signs? Did they hate her that much?" *LOL*

Last edited by theaustinegalitarian; 06-18-2008 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: added reference to UT posts

Old 06-18-2008, 07:08 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
That's what I thought you meant! Our uncle warned us how expensive it was here before we moved, so we sort of knew. But we're still surprised at housing prices sometimes. I expect NYC, SF, DC, LA, CHI to be ridiculous. They are older and established, have a lot of cultural, political and social things to offer, pay higher salaries and with the exception of LA, living without a car is possible. These things are less accessible in Austin as of now. I can even see how Austin would cost more than many other mid-sized cities - because of what it does offer - but the jump seems to be a bit extreme and the gap is closing.

I mean, if you have to rent indefinitely just to stay close to a city center(where much of the activity is), why not live in a bigger, more established city with more opportunities, better public transportation and higher earning potential?

We love Austin though and I hope we can afford to stay.
I hear ya. I was on the phone with an Austin apt. locator today and asked about apartments on the SW side and he told me a nicer 2/2 townhome was going for $1600. I actually dropped my jaw and thought, but wait this is Austin.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:41 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Correct, cheap in a relative sense...a better word would be less expensive, with a comparison city in hand....certainly anyone from the
midwest or plains states would not find Austin cheap...almost none from the rest of Texas would, as it has the highest cost of living in the state.
Per the south, it would be more expensive than any southern city, except perhaps Atlanta........so, yes, MM, if you are coming from SOCO, the only place in the usa with 700K average home prices, its cheap.....anywhere else, short of the east coast magalopolis, and its the same, if not expensive....
Austin is cheaper than Chicago, cheaper than most of Western Washington, cheaper than the Bay area, cheaper than just about every other city we have either lived in or considered living in. BTW, what is SOCO in the context of this post?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:33 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
The UT things gets "old" for people like you, but it's heaven for people like me. UT students and alumni built this city, so let's not forget that! All these people moving here need to respect that, period. Don't come here complaining about UT and how it's all you see or hear about. If you don't like it, move back to Ohio or California where your beloved team resides! This city is as good as it is because of all of us UT graduates who decided to stay and take a huge pay cut in order to live closer to UT and fellow Longhorns. This city is as educated as it is because of us. Don't forget it!
There are other schools in the area besides UT. There's also something to be said about driving the local wages down in the most expensive part of the state.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:12 PM

33 posts, read 192,461 times
after reading this... please tell me what exactly you are referring to when you say the "matrix" and are there really nudists at the lakes? or was that a joke.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:47 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,818 times
Okay, from an outside perspective, one of my top negatives is
that, for a place that brags about being "liberal, urban, and educated" compared to the rest of Texas and the Sunbelt region, there's nowhere near the level of public transportation or other urban amenities one would expect for a "liberal, urban, and educated" city of Austin's size, and there's no shortage of pollution and traffic . What walkability you might have is compromised by the excessive number of bums.

For positives, my number one is the Hike & Bike Trail + Zilker Park. That's one of the nicest places to walk I've found anywhere. Austin's emphasis on local shops, restaurants, and culture is a huge positive, as well.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
I can't explain the "matrix", but as for nudists, yes, there is a cove at Lake Travis called hippie hollow and it's where the nudists hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin