U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:59 AM

12 posts, read 32,800 times

Advertisements

I'm from Westchester County, NY (land of high property taxes and small expensive homes!) and have a wife and two kids ready to enter high school and middle school.

I've always enjoyed NY for it's culture and excitement, but as I grow older(not 50 yet!) I find myself seeking a low key life with less day to day stress. Not to mention finding a larger more affordable home for a growing family.

Other requirements was to also stay connected to the arts and fitness. I am involved with filmmaking back here (not full time) and saw that there was a good community of filmmakers, organizations and theaters. Also, I love cycling and did spot some good roads out there for some hardcore biking as well as hearing that Lance Armstrong is creating this new bike shop in the downtown area (where I also spotted a triathlon early on a Sunday morning).

After much research and reading of the posts I became very interested in the area. My wife and I made a trip out last month and spent four days touring the area. It was more of a fact finding mission and a chance to get an idea of the homes that area available. We found the people to be very friendly (not aggressive like here in NY), great restaurant and scenery around Lake Travis.

While we both liked a lot about the rae (including the school ratings), we only had a small amount of time to check out the downtown scene. We had heard a lot about South Congress and had a chance to see the area and liked the ecletic shops and eateries. It wasn't Greenwich Village, but still had a nice vibe to it. And we also had some time to check out the downtown music scene on a Sat night.

Well, we are already set to make our next trip out to begin to examine a couple of developments that we really liked, but we would also like to get a better feel for the downtown area and the local community. Even though we live in the suburbs of NY we still work and go into the city often and would do the same if we relocated to Austin.

Can anyone recommend some good areas to visit in the downtown area for arts and shopping and anywhere else that might give us more of a flavor of the downtown community.

Also, I'd love to get comments back from others that relocated to Austin from back east (especially NY) and hear your thoughts about your transition to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 08:37 PM

62 posts, read 123,965 times
It is definitely less aggressive than NY. If you are interested in the arts, you'll want to ditch your car and take a ride on the 320 bus. Pay a dollar when you get on and you have an all-day pass on all the busses. Get off in the neighborhood of 2nd street to 4th street, east of Cesar Chavez. Carry a water bottle because you will want to just walk around and take it in, and you may find a nice coffee shop or snack bar only every few blocks.
It is still pre-gentrification, with really good working artists.

The bus company, BTW, is Capital Metro Transit - Austin, Texas and while it is not as efficient as NYC trains, it does give a newcomer a good winding-through-streets view of the "real" Austin, places you won't see if you depend on driving the main highways in and out of town. I think the best way to get to know this city is to get an all-day pass and take a "bus holiday".

Old 06-21-2008, 08:29 PM

7,223 posts, read 5,139,964 times
I come from Fairfield County Connecticut and have been down here since 1992 (college) and full time since 1996.

And... Next year when I complete my busines obligations, I am going home. For me, the Austin area has a lot to offer, but the drawbacks have finally tipped the scales in favor of going home. The wages here are low, I miss good Chinese food, Italian food, and the type of ethnic food found back home. As a Jew, once you go two minutes outside of Austin theres a "What church do you go to?" type attitude that I don't like. I miss snow, true seasons and access to NYC. I miss my friends and family and good pizza. I miss the water. (Ocean within 5 minutes.. can't beat it)...

That having been said, about half the people I know from the Northeast love it here and adjust quickly. They love the Mexican food, the laid back lifestyle and the weather. I think when it comes to expensive cost of living I think you get what you pay for.... Which is why it costs more to live in the NYC suburbs.

Feel free to private message me for me detail or discussion.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:28 PM

25,169 posts, read 34,498,973 times
You WILL be bored out of your gord. It is a borefest town save for a few overrated overly expensive festivles. Half the time I'm on the road I feel scared out of my mind because Austin drivers rarely pay attention, always seem to be eating, talking, stuffing their faces, spacing out as they drive, or driving like selfish brats. I could have my signal light on for nearly a mile before anybody notices or lets me in.

Try Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:30 PM

don't listen to these people there is nothing in Austin. If you are rich and want to retire into a peaceful pretty area then live off capital of texas highway, there are mansions on huge green hills, great scenery, some hiking is available, ....other than that it is so boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaustinegalitarian View Post
It is definitely less aggressive than NY. If you are interested in the arts, you'll want to ditch your car and take a ride on the 320 bus. Pay a dollar when you get on and you have an all-day pass on all the busses. Get off in the neighborhood of 2nd street to 4th street, east of Cesar Chavez. Carry a water bottle because you will want to just walk around and take it in, and you may find a nice coffee shop or snack bar only every few blocks.
It is still pre-gentrification, with really good working artists.

The bus company, BTW, is Capital Metro Transit - Austin, Texas and while it is not as efficient as NYC trains, it does give a newcomer a good winding-through-streets view of the "real" Austin, places you won't see if you depend on driving the main highways in and out of town. I think the best way to get to know this city is to get an all-day pass and take a "bus holiday".

Old 06-21-2008, 09:41 PM

957 posts, read 2,437,794 times
As long as you take it for what it's worth and not try to compare it to NYC, you should be fine. You do get what you pay for though. You will not have the exciting vibe and culture of NYC will everything at your fingertips, however, Austin is a much more affordable city and you could probably afford to go back to visit NYC with the money you'll be able to save. A lot of it is what your personal interests are too. Some people always have something to do in Austin, while others like Artsyguy seem to be bored. For a city closer to NYC in terms of ammenities, you may want to consider Houston, which is known to be more cultural. I have no idea why San Antonio was recommended. There's not any more of a culture or vibe there.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:43 PM

San Antonio has a strong hispanic culture and a fun atmosphere down on the riverwalk and at the amusement parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
As long as you take it for what it's worth and not try to compare it to NYC, you should be fine. You do get what you pay for though. You will not have the exciting vibe and culture of NYC will everything at your fingertips, however, Austin is a much more affordable city and you could probably afford to go back to visit NYC with the money you'll be able to save. A lot of it is what your personal interests are too. Some people always have something to do in Austin, while others like Artsyguy seem to be bored. For a city closer to NYC in terms of ammenities, you may want to consider Houston, which is known to be more cultural. I have no idea why San Antonio was recommended. There's not any more of a culture or vibe there.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
San Antonio has a strong hispanic culture and a fun atmosphere down on the riverwalk and at the amusement parks.
That is true, but the riverwalk and amusement parks get old very quickly and since it's not something the average resident do on a frequent basis, it's not a reason to choose that as a city to live in. And the only culture in SA is hispanic, so that doesn't make it a cultural or diverse city at all.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:03 PM

Austin doesn't have anything but a bunch of snooty white people....so stop trying to tear me down. Austin has 6th street which looks awful to the eyes (besides the Christmas lights the Government put up to distract everybody from the run down/old appearence) and that gets boring faster than Riverwalk because all you can do there is get wasted. San Antonio has a better Zoo and museums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
That is true, but the riverwalk and amusement parks get old very quickly and since it's not something the average resident do on a frequent basis, it's not a reason to choose that as a city to live in. And the only culture in SA is hispanic, so that doesn't make it a cultural or diverse city at all.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:09 PM

What in the hell are you talking about tearing you down? I've done nothing but ask you to back up what you're saying and that's not my problem if you get defensive about it. I can't speak for the zoos and museums, which suck in SA, because I've yet to go to them in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin