U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 AM

26 posts, read 94,040 times
Default Cost to remove hard tile?

Hopefully someone has experience with this: My husband and I are considering a home with stone tile on about 300-400sq. ft. We'd love to have it removed and have hardwoods or bamboo put down. Does anyone know about the labor/time involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:56 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,658,137 times
I'll be watching to see if what the answer is -- I think we'll end up with a home that needs some tile removal too. I'm not fond of that big white tile everywhere. Bamboo sounds very nice!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:01 PM

10,593 posts, read 21,763,947 times
While I love how it looks, I know from talking to a friend of mine that it scrathes. She had dogs though so maybe that won't be the case with you. Since living in Florida, I'm all about having tile everywhere as long as its pretty.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:18 PM

30 posts, read 95,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
While I love how it looks, I know from talking to a friend of mine that it scrathes. She had dogs though so maybe that won't be the case with you. Since living in Florida, I'm all about having tile everywhere as long as its pretty.
It depends on the grade. Most of the really inexpensive stuff out there is a low grade that scratches easily. Its a good idea to do your research when having it installed. I have one friend who researched heavily and her floor is still very smooth even with kids, etc, another friend who got some amazing looking stuff from their contractor and within days there were scratches. Of course, there was a price difference too.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:28 PM

2,220 posts, read 5,574,638 times
It costs $3-4 per square foot to remove. I balked at the price and ended up doing around 1800 sq ft myself in a month. it's not something you want to attempt if you don't have to. That price is cheap for the labor involved.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:25 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,425,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
It costs $3-4 per square foot to remove. I balked at the price and ended up doing around 1800 sq ft myself in a month. it's not something you want to attempt if you don't have to. That price is cheap for the labor involved.
Agree 100% that it really blows to remove your own tile. My husband has done it on several houses. A lot of sledgehammer and chisel work, then you oftentimes have to rent a grinder to get rid of some of the built-up areas of thinset that stay attached to the cement floor. It is backbreaking, messy and all around icky!

We had a quote in AZ of about $1500 to remove about 1000 sf of tile a few years ago - which sounds like a good price given what achtung was quoted.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:38 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,227,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibelle View Post
Hopefully someone has experience with this: My husband and I are considering a home with stone tile on about 300-400sq. ft. We'd love to have it removed and have hardwoods or bamboo put down. Does anyone know about the labor/time involved?
Busting tile is a %$#&*!!

Something for this size, I would invest going to your local Home Depot and renting a power-scraper (like this) power - compare prices, research products, save money at Become.com

Luckly when I had to remove tile, it was just to replace one that cracked. Its a long procedure only using a chisel & hammer (even for 1-5 titles) because you have to remove the motar also.

Make sure you always wear eye protection, Gloves and knee-pads. It's not hard to do. You will save lot's of money if you did this yourself.

Good luck!

Better yet; if you got an air compressor, buy this Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices RAR!!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:48 AM

2,220 posts, read 5,574,638 times
Mike, there's actually a better machine than that scraper.

The Home Depot Tool Rental - Tile Stripper

The one pictured above isn't the best one. There's a much smaller model that I've seen at the Slaughter Ln Home Depot. the key is that you want the blade on as low as an angle as possible and center it at the middle of the tile edge NOT under it. The oscillating blade will vibrate the tile loose and take up all the thinset with it about 90% of the time. The one pictured above doesn't allow the blade to be adjusted low enough and you end up breaking most of the tiles which makes for a very messy clean up. I know, I filled up 2 14-yard dumpsters with tile!

If you have a lot of tile to do, it'd be better to buy a machine and resell it. I think I spent $1200 renting it when I could have bought it for $1500 and resold it for $1000.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,227,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Mike, there's actually a better machine than that scraper.

The Home Depot Tool Rental - Tile Stripper

The one pictured above isn't the best one. There's a much smaller model that I've seen at the Slaughter Ln Home Depot. the key is that you want the blade on as low as an angle as possible and center it at the middle of the tile edge NOT under it. The oscillating blade will vibrate the tile loose and take up all the thinset with it about 90% of the time. The one pictured above doesn't allow the blade to be adjusted low enough and you end up breaking most of the tiles which makes for a very messy clean up. I know, I filled up 2 14-yard dumpsters with tile!

If you have a lot of tile to do, it'd be better to buy a machine and resell it. I think I spent $1200 renting it when I could have bought it for $1500 and resold it for $1000.
1200.00 is a lot to rent, something like I suggest is much , much cheaper and the sq ft they are doing would be easy enough for what I suggested, unless they are trying to re-use the old tile.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:45 PM

114 posts, read 303,817 times
ill weigh in.. ive done it myself with about 1200 sq feet. Its a boatload of work. DO NOT even think about using a hand chisel and hammer. Rent a demolition hammer as mentioned above, id suggest the 40lb (?) which runs about 80 to a 100 a day i think.

As to cost, the contracor was gonna charge 2/foot to demo.

for flooring we went with br111 braziliian cherry plank, 3 inch wide i beleive. stay away from br11 as it has lots of movement and is hard to install. The brazillian cherry itself is beautiful and ages a dark mahagony color.

Long and short is do the research ourself and dont rely on a flooring contractor to inform you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin