Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:56 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

I think it's important to have realistic expectations and be willing to make reasonable concessions. For example, I would love to live someplace with great weather year round. But most of the cities that have such weather, like L.A. and San Fransisco, are unbelievably expensive. I would also love to live someplace with an IT market so strong, I'd have recruiters me calling everyday. But a place like San Jose, while full of IT jobs, is again way too expensive. So you have to be willing to make trade-offs and figure out what things you absolutely have to have and what things you can live without.

From my own research, Austin seems like the best compromise. Does it have the best weather? No. Does it have the best IT market? No. There's no such thing as a perfect city. If there were, everyone would move there, driving up the cost of living and increasing traffic, making it no longer the perfect city. Sure, Chicago probably has a bigger IT market than Austin. But it's so expensive here that you can't afford to live close to where the jobs are and you end up living far away, spending more time commuting to and from work, and having less free time, not to mention being in a lousy mood after all that driving and paying so much for gas. I know I would experience the same thing in other cities with strong IT markets. Cities like Washington D.C., Seattle, Atlanta, and New York all have great IT markets, but they'd all present some of the same problems I'm facing in Chicago. When I lived in KC, I felt like it was the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. It was only after living in Chicago that I came to appreciate the advantages of being in a smaller city. Quality of life is the issue and we all measure it in different ways. I can see now why a lot of people leave the city and move to small towns. I'm not there yet, but I know that big cities don't agree with me. So if it means taking a pay cut, being without great museums and sports franchises, I can live with it. I just want my decision to be an informed one, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 58,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Yeah, my husbands experience in finding a job was not at all like what clockwise says. He found a long term, high paying contract job before we even moved down and then a full time offer from Dell came a few months later... and he didn't know anyone down here to help him land a job, he just has a good resume with solid experience.

It's probably safe to say that if you live in RR you will be near the tech jobs... some of the biggest tech employers (Samsung, Dell, National Instruments, etc) are here in RR, or just slightly over the RR/Austin border.

Everyone says how hard it is to get a job here - but we haven't found that to be true at all. His job search was quick and painless. We took a slight paycut, but he also transitioned from contract to perm emplyee, and contract is always a higher rate... plus, with the lower cost of living here, compared to Seattle - we don't feel as if we took a cut, and actually feel more comfortable than we did in Seattle.

The weather is great, the people are great - there is lots to do... I'll respond to your PM
My wife has been offered two jobs (at different times) in Austin- both high tech startups. She had, believe it or not, a tougher time here in ATL. It's a part of the reason we are almost fully decided on moving to Austin.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:11 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
I guess it all comes down to what sector of IT you are looking into- if you are doing business applications Chicago might be better, if you are computer architecture guy/gal you will have an easier time in a place like Austin with all of its semiconductor/computer businesses. Looking at the list from Business Week posted earlier might help in the sense that it gives the largest sector in each market. At one time we were investigating Chicago, but there are far more jobs in Austin for which my husband is qualified.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Because you say it is? I'm sorry if it was hard for you - is that why you went back to Chicago? All I am offering is that for my husband, who is a mid-to upper level software guy with solid experience and a good resume .... it wasn't that hard at all. Yes, Dell has been laying off recently - but that's a whole other thread. There are tons of other companies here that AREN'T laying off - Austin, in particular, is big for Gamers...

Like many of your other username incarnations, you are filled with doom and gloom about Austin - I just want to offer that it's not as bad as you make it out to be, for everyone.
I think it also depends on the level at which you're coming in. There are pleny of mid level tech jobs, but once you get to director level, it's a bit tougher.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:08 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Atl_321,

I was briefly thinking of moving to Atlanta. It was only after I heard about the awful traffic there that I ruled it out. I hope the startups in Austin are still hiring because I do prefer smaller companies. Just wondering how you went about your job search cause so far, I'm not having much luck.

Jennibc,

My area of expertise is Java/J2EE. So mainly server-side applications.

mimimomx3,

Luckily, I'm not at the director level. I'm more mid to senior level developer.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 PM

6 posts, read 13,471 times
most of the Austin suburbs are fine... all of them exept manor

Old 06-26-2008, 04:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
And why not the ones in Manor, one asks?

Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwise5 View Post
just come out here and see what its all about.......it may cost 500 bucks or so, but come out for 2-3 days, drive around, and see it....then do more web research, and make your decision...
Wow. The price of travel must have really one up in two years. My airplane ticket alone was $240. Driving would have taken 36K miles worth of gas round trip and two hotel stays while on route (once there and once on the way back) so flying was by far the best bet. My 4 night stay at the Hampton in was $575 and then there was the rental car and food.

I agree, though, that you must visit a place before you move there and I intend to visit Austin at least one more time before I decide one way or another.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:32 PM

183 posts, read 686,464 times
My husband is an IT recruiter, PM (or direct mail on the site ) me what your looking for and I can pass along his info to you.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:59 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I think it's important to have realistic expectations and be willing to make reasonable concessions. For example, I would love to live someplace with great weather year round. But most of the cities that have such weather, like L.A. and San Fransisco, are unbelievably expensive. I would also love to live someplace with an IT market so strong, I'd have recruiters me calling everyday. But a place like San Jose, while full of IT jobs, is again way too expensive. So you have to be willing to make trade-offs and figure out what things you absolutely have to have and what things you can live without.

From my own research, Austin seems like the best compromise. Does it have the best weather? No. Does it have the best IT market? No. There's no such thing as a perfect city. If there were, everyone would move there, driving up the cost of living and increasing traffic, making it no longer the perfect city. Sure, Chicago probably has a bigger IT market than Austin. But it's so expensive here that you can't afford to live close to where the jobs are and you end up living far away, spending more time commuting to and from work, and having less free time, not to mention being in a lousy mood after all that driving and paying so much for gas. I know I would experience the same thing in other cities with strong IT markets. Cities like Washington D.C., Seattle, Atlanta, and New York all have great IT markets, but they'd all present some of the same problems I'm facing in Chicago. When I lived in KC, I felt like it was the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. It was only after living in Chicago that I came to appreciate the advantages of being in a smaller city. Quality of life is the issue and we all measure it in different ways. I can see now why a lot of people leave the city and move to small towns. I'm not there yet, but I know that big cities don't agree with me. So if it means taking a pay cut, being without great museums and sports franchises, I can live with it. I just want my decision to be an informed one, that's all.
Here is the thing, because austin doesnt have many large companies we have almost no "IT" market. The market for software development is primarily in product development selling to IT companies outside of austin. That being said we obviously have some IT.

Home depot, Dell, national instruments, the semiconductor companies (AMD, samsung, freescale), paypal, google, IBM, state of texas, Seton healthcare, UT austin, whole foods.

Here is a link to the largest companies, they typically are the ones with real IT organizations.

Business & Industry | The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce :: Austin, Texas (http://www.austinchamber.com/DoBusiness/GreaterAustinProfile/business.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin