U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 01-15-2007, 12:41 AM

22 posts, read 71,725 times
Post Is a Black Man welcomed in Austin?

Hi Guys, ... please forgive me for the blunt nature of my question but i have a huge life altering decision to make on where to move to when i return to the States from Europe in the next few months. I am a Black writer and aspiring flimmaker in my late 30's who works as a waiter/bartender to pay the bills and i'm in desperate need of the straight unvarnished, warts n' all , good bad and ugly TRUTH about the social dynamic of the city of Austin in terms of integration, tolerance and inclusiveness. I should mention i was born and raised in Alabama( some bad memories ..which is why this question is so important), lived in Venice Beach and South Beach and I'm currently living in the North of Italy . Of course i have read many, many wonderful things about Austin and it really seems like it could be the perfect place for someone with my interests but unfortunately in my research I have also read some rather disturbing things regarding racial incidents involving the Austin police and incidents that seem to occur at the nearby college campuses and surrounding areas. Am i misinformed ? Is this old news of the past and not a concern or reality of the present. Is there a Black part of town and a White part of town where all the wonderful things are? Are interracial couples welcomed and accepted and In addition to the Hispanic citizens, are people of color employed in the Bars, Shops and Restaurants downtown? Please, Please educate me you guys and let me add that no offense is meant by my questions I just sincerely would like to know once and for all if Austin is cool but maybe slightly less cool for a person of color. Thanks very much guys for sharing what experiences/info you may have!
Alexander

Unread 01-15-2007, 01:40 AM

2,877 posts, read 4,541,797 times
Austin is considered to be one of the most culturally and politically left of center areas in Texas. So, yes, you should be welcome

Unread 01-15-2007, 02:09 AM

Smile Thank you Vicman!

... Thanks a lot for the info Vicman! ... wondering if anyone else has some thoughts they would like to share?

Unread 01-15-2007, 08:41 AM

1,875 posts, read 4,226,598 times
Hi Alexander,

I can't say that there isn't racism in Austin since there is racism everywhere. But, I think you will feel very welcomed here since most people are very tolerant. You describe yourself as a writer, aspiring filmmaker, and waiter/bartender. I think Austin is a perfect place for you!

A while back, there was a very interesting thread here about blacks in Austin. I'm attaching a link for you.

Any "Funk" in Austin !!!

Being a white woman, I can't properly address how a black man will feel in Austin, but in this thread, a black man (I believe) discusses the issue.

Unread 01-15-2007, 10:46 AM

122 posts
I dont think their would be any problem with Austin. We need more people like yourself to help us grow and I always welcome people that can contribute to the film making industry in Austin..

White Black it doesn't matter (:

Unread 01-15-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Thank you AustinTraveler!

... Wow ! ... Just finished reading the thread you recommended and it was exactly the raw quality of day to day, ground zero insight I was hoping for! Austin does indeed seem like a special community full of incredible people like yourself who really want the best for their city. Thanks again ... i've got some thinking to do.

Unread 01-15-2007, 02:13 PM

That's cool of you to say Rnelson , i appreciate that!

Unread 06-16-2007, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,589 times
Hey!

I am a white dude that is from Iowa, but has lived in Austin for many years. 99-late 06'. I am currently in Korea until about Christmas.

Yes! that is the answer to your question. You are welcome in Austin. The black part of town? I'm not really sure where that is, unlike Omaha (where I am from) it is a lot less segregated and you are welcome. I will be back around Christmas 07/08'. I'm sure you'll have a whole network of friends, but I would love to hang out man. I play all sorts of music and consider it home, more than my actual home there. you need any advice at all, please PM me. This is a late post, so you are probably already settled by now, but feel free anyway to contact me. I have limited access to email, over here, but I will get back to you.

best of luck man,

Miles123

"I don't care who you are, or where u from..... it's all the same" - Petey Wheatstraw

Unread 06-17-2007, 12:50 AM

88 posts, read 219,377 times
From my perspective I know I sure would welcome a black man to town....

Unread 06-18-2007, 07:31 AM

18 posts, read 62,537 times
Are you kidding? This isn't Podunk, USA, this is Austin! We thrive on diversity. Our motto, by the way, is "Keep Austin Weird." We celebrate the fact that there are bats flying around down town, we have a cross-dresser who ran for mayor, and it's still legal to ride your bike naked in the yearly nude bike race. I think your question is moot. You are into the arts & film (according to your post) so you will most definately fit in! Welcome to one of the best places in the USA to live. Now, get rid of everything you own that has sleeves (it's hot down here), and go get some allergy medicine (you'll need it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin