U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:58 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,873,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acm11c View Post
I am the general manger of a furniture company and as part of our pro active marketing we canvass neighborhoods and put flyers on doors. We are a business that is trying to survive in not only a competitve market, but also in these tough economic times. We put out about 1,000 flyers a week and at least once a month there is some retard calling my store complaining. I've been cursed at and even threatened. Get a life! If someone leaves a flyer on your door and you are not interested in the product or service throw it away. There is no need to get so upset. Obviously everyone complaining has never worked in the sales fields where your salary depends on your volume of sales. So my suggestion is get a hobby-reading, gardening, whatever. Then somehow maybe a flyer on your door won't ruin your whole week.

what store is that? just tell us now, and save some paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 11:13 AM

2,522 posts, read 5,245,842 times
Austin isn't the only place that gets "flyered".......we got a bunch in the chicago metro too before we moved, though not as much as Austin......in Chi they would have them with a little hole for "doorknobing", but seems like they just kind of "stuff 'em" anywhere in the door or under it here....
the companies are too small to worry about getting sued for such practices, and are just doing their form of cluster marketing........
Austin is growing so fast, with so many new business, that companies have to do it to get word out....and there are so many new people that it is likely they can convert lots of people to their biz......AND, always easier to flyer transient areas, that don't know each other to group together and complain about such things....My first apartment was on the third floor here, with steep stairs, and they found their way up there often.......very persistent, I should say........but, its a free country, i suppose..

Old 04-08-2009, 11:21 AM

3,567 posts, read 5,291,899 times
As a reference I have no problems with the meter reader on my property when I'm not there b/c that is a company I do business with and that company has rules in place for doing such readings.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 AM

587 posts, read 1,227,072 times
Yeah, Austin is definitely not the only place, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

We get them in droves here in Phoenix too. They go around the neighborhoods on those little "mall-scooters" (sorry, don't know what they're really called, but I see the rent-a-cops at the mall on them and also saw they were used heavily in promoting Paul Blart: Mall Cop ) and just "drive" right up to the door, place the flier and "drive" down the street to the next house!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 AM

340 posts, read 549,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
We get them in droves here in Phoenix too. They go around the neighborhoods on those little "mall-scooters" (sorry, don't know what they're really called, but I see the rent-a-cops at the mall on them and also saw they were used heavily in promoting Paul Blart: Mall Cop ) and just "drive" right up to the door, place the flier and "drive" down the street to the next house!
Wow! Now that's lazy. What if that scooter craze catches on with solicitors? There will be scooter tracks all over the lawn, especially ruining the grass along the walkway.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM

2,522 posts, read 5,245,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Yeah, Austin is definitely not the only place, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.

What a great sequel...."Paul Blart; Scooter Solicitor"...

Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM

22 posts, read 73,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
And, you sir, have just guaranteed I'll NEVER buy furniture from someone who fliers my house. And since we'll be in the market for several thousand dollars worth of furniture in the coming months, maybe you'll rethink acting like a jerk to homeowners who have enough pride in their homes to not want litter all over them and find a smarter, more effective way to boost your sales.

And I have worked in sales where my paycheck was directly affected by the volume and know annoying my customer base, then insulting them for being annoyed is just plain counter-productive.
Exactly right! When I'm looking for furniture, repairs, restaurants, etc. I either ask for recommendations from friends or I look for establishments in a phone book. I don't need unsolicited advertisements left on my door, mailbox, or anywhere on my property.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 PM

145 posts, read 269,455 times
I do not like the junk mail hanging on my door but Here lately sales people have been getting more straight forward and knocking and trying to sell any thing from steak to a carpet cleaner. I will take the junk blowing in my yard (i will pick it up later) first before I have to be rude face to face again.An before any one types do not answer the door,some will ring the door bell for a good 10min. before they will go a way.I can't take it that long.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:35 PM

587 posts, read 1,227,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
Wow! Now that's lazy. What if that scooter craze catches on with solicitors? There will be scooter tracks all over the lawn, especially ruining the grass along the walkway.
Yeah, not too much grass to worry about here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
What a great sequel...."Paul Blart; Scooter Solicitor"...

Old 04-08-2009, 02:05 PM

16,722 posts, read 40,852,901 times
It is not trespassing for someone to enter your property unless you have it posted with "No Trespassing" signs. If someone enters your property and you tell them to leave, then it becomes trespassing if they refuse to do so.

CHAPTER 30. BURGLARY AND CRIMINAL TRESPASS

I don't mind handbills or fliers, they usually let me know about businesses that are in my neighborhood that I might want to do business with. I have done business with several of them after receiving fliers, 4 restaurants that deliver and one tree trimming service.

I do dislike door to door solicitors. They typically interrupt my peaceful enjoyment of my home and intrude on me at a bad time. I will not do business with or donate money to anyone going door to door.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-08-2009 at 02:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or