U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:06 PM

16,719 posts, read 40,783,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
Sounds like there's a huge market for someone to stick flyers onto people's doors advertising that they make "No Solicting. Leave No Flyers Here." signs.

LOL Excellent idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:21 PM

8,079 posts, read 13,449,065 times
There is someone operating in Avery Ranch(other areas as well, I'm sure) with the business name 'Direct Door to Door' or something to that effect. If I take time to look at their spam, it is to make sure I DO NOT patronize the businesses in the flyer. On occasion, I have called a business I otherwise liked to let them know my feelings regarding flyer/littering. My vet used to place signs next to the highway on the weekends...I had no problem asking them not to do that...sure would have been inconvenient to change vets had they continued.

I really have trouble with the 'I have a business... I can do whatever I want to promote it' attitude.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 8,057 times
I have been thinking of advertising for businesses in my small town. So is it really that bad if you get a flier in your door step. If your worried about litter just take it down and recycle it. It really isn't that bad

Old 05-13-2009, 10:49 AM

20,376 posts, read 37,651,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon new View Post
I have been thinking of advertising for businesses in my small town. So is it really that bad if you get a flier in your door step. If your worried about litter just take it down and recycle it. It really isn't that bad
Well, if you read all of the comments on this thread, you might want to ask yourself if flyers on doors are going to accomplish what you want or if they are going to drive away your potential clients. Just as a business decision.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 AM

804 posts, read 1,731,948 times
The only flyers I get are from Chinese restaurants and pizza shops.

So what happens if two people distributing flyers for different businesses overlap each other's turf? Do they have a flyer fight?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:08 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,867,179 times
I bet that would be awkward, I guess you'd want to avoid eye contact

Old 05-14-2009, 12:35 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,434,625 times
I do not receive flyers on regular basis but when I do, sometimes they are so small, its hard to read them. The flyer contains misspelled words, crappy fonts and other annoyances. I did call this one pizza place from a flyer and it took about 1 hour to get a really cold pizza. The flyer was really nice but it didn't make the situation better. These folks that are distributing the flyers need to come up with a way to catch our attention if they would like to continue to distribute flyers. The flyer cannot just be a ad for the business, it needs to have some kind of coupon for me to take notice and see if its something I need now or in the near future.
I would prefer to receive a postcard from a new business in the area through the mail and some kind of incentive/coupon to drop by. It has to look sharp, inviting and professional. Sometimes new businesses pop up and fail because there wasn't any announcement in the neighborhood about their location nearby.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:35 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,652,468 times
After the hailstorm smacked down Jollyville, I started receiving roofing company flyers by the hundreds. I got so fed up with it that I took a small trash can, placed it next to my door, and dumped all the flyers I had received into it. I like to think that it probably helped cut down on a few future ones.

The one flyer that annoys me the most is from Papa John's. When they have so much advertising all ready, including those sent in the mail, do they really need to walk up to my door on a Sunday morning and stick a flyer on it? What a waste of money...

Old 05-15-2009, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 8,057 times
Well if you think about it a lot of the people who distribute them are teenagers like my self. And we'll usually go to businesses and ask if they want us to distribute fliers. And we get paid, so it wouldn't really be awkward if you saw some one else doing it, Also as long as we get paid it doesn't quite matter so much what they look like. And we don't come up with what the fliers look like we just pass them out.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:02 AM

8,079 posts, read 13,449,065 times
Just to be crystal clear...I (and I know of many others) WILL NOT patronize a business that litters my front door with fliers OR posts illegal sign spam along the roadside. It's just that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or