U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 PM

389 posts, read 1,402,817 times

Advertisements

I agree, my wifes work moved to roughly the same area now and its fine, its the stretch between the arboretum/183 in to 290 thats the killer..
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I work on 6th street just north of the river but live in SW Austin. The commute isn't bad at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:22 PM

20,389 posts, read 37,697,685 times
There are plenty of DS look alike neighborhoods in North Austin.

Can you give an example? I'm assuming that the OP fell in love with Dripping Springs, not just the neighborhoods, though I could be wrong. In which case, I can't think of an area in North Austin that resembles Dripping Springs.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:33 PM

132 posts, read 482,057 times
Steiner Ranch, River Place, Avery Ranch, well I guess we could go on and on because so many places North or South look the same once you get into the Neighborhood. Its not a bad thing, "Welcome To Suburbia!"

Old 07-11-2008, 09:12 PM

574 posts, read 2,272,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
What about Steiner Ranch?
My thought exactly! Gosh, we get accused of being so far out, but I get to IH35 and Yager in about 35 minutes if I leave before 7AM, and get home in about 40 minutes if I leave before 5PM. Outside of those times does add a bit, but in Steiner Ranch we have City of Austin for electricity, and we have Natural Gas from Texas Gas. Don't want to hijack the thread, but don't forget about the cost of propane! We pay on average about $205/mo. for elec., nat. gas, and water.

Oh, we also walk to an Exemplary Elem. and MS.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:46 PM

351 posts, read 259,837 times
I've made the drive from 1626 up Mopac to Arboretum area and during rush hour school year it took me at least an hour usually an hour and 45 mins. I just gave up the 2222/620 past Steiner commute and while congested during rush hour it really only adds an extra 10-20 mins. to your time. It's the Mopac/I-35/360 corridor during UT session that is killer. Dripping to North Austin IMO way to far and only going to get worse over time.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:32 PM

20,389 posts, read 37,697,685 times
West Austin (Steiner Ranch to me is West) is an option, but, again, I thought the OP said they fell in love with Dripping Springs. Houses are one thing; a community is something else again.

So, OP, which is it, the neighborhood, or the community? If the former, there are other similar-though-not-identical options closer to where you'll be working. If the latter, you're not going to find Dripping Springs in Lakeway or Cedar Park or Leander, all lovely communities in their own right, but different.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:01 AM

112 posts, read 437,846 times
I guess I was assuming that the OP liked the whole "Hill Country' package. Yes, there are wonderful neighborhoods all around Austin, but are they in the Hill Country? No- not the ones you have listed. Avery Ranch? Please. Steiner Ranch is great and would be much closer. Highpointe is a gated neighborhood with 3 pools and miles of hike/bike trails. The homes are further apart and when you look out your window you see the hill country.

For some people the extra 7-10 mile commute from the Y in Oak Hill is well worth getting out a little further and having the feeling of living out in the country. Thats right 7-10 miles more thats it.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:45 PM

290 posts, read 1,073,048 times
I lived in Austin for over 10 years, and I loved Dripping Springs. The town itself is very nice and people are friendly, and schools from what I hear are great. I lived in Steiner for over 8 years and loved it. My work (when I wasn't telecommuting) was just north of the Arboretum area off of 183. It used to take me about 25 minutes or so to reach work via 620. So with gas fast approaching $5 I do recommend to be closer to work. not because you can find anything similar to DS, but because it might not be as practical.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:49 PM

290 posts, read 1,073,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
My thought exactly! Gosh, we get accused of being so far out, but I get to IH35 and Yager in about 35 minutes if I leave before 7AM, and get home in about 40 minutes if I leave before 5PM. Outside of those times does add a bit, but in Steiner Ranch we have City of Austin for electricity, and we have Natural Gas from Texas Gas. Don't want to hijack the thread, but don't forget about the cost of propane! We pay on average about $205/mo. for elec., nat. gas, and water.

Oh, we also walk to an Exemplary Elem. and MS.
Yeah, I agree with you, Steiner is nice. It is also nice that shopping is now a lot closer and there are some restaurant options nearby. When we moved into Steiner 8+ years ago, you had to drive into town for most things. Our kids liked the elem school in Steiner (Steiner Ranch Elementary), and I agree that is a great school and teachers do care.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:27 AM

148 posts, read 485,678 times
I would have to agree...I would look more in North Austin if I were you. Unless you just know the roads like the back of your hand..it could take anywhere from and hour in a half to two hours to get home once they start hard core construction at the "Y" in Oak Hill. I grew up in Dripping Springs and my parents work in Westlake and it takes them 35 min just to get there everyday...that doesn't even touch where you would be going. Now I live at Riata up north off of 183 and traffic is not bad at all up here. Rush Hour gets kind of bad for about an hour from 183 and Cap. Texas Highway to about Duval (I think thats like 3 or 4 exits) and the speeds up again. I would look in the Cedar Park area honestly. There are a ton of "Belterra" type homes out there. Plus, believe me when I tell you this, you do not want your kids in Dripping Springs ISD...IMO they dont prepare anyone for college...it was def a big surprise to me when I started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood1 View Post
The problem that commute faces is twofold...
First, the "Y" at 290, is bad now, and when it goes under construction it will be horrible till it's done. Next. because you are going all the way up to 183/mopac the bottleneck (lanedrop) over the river kills you. My wife ran that for as long as she could stand it, and at 500pm, most days took 30-40 just to get back in to SW parkway, and theres no faster alternate.. 30 min to go 12 miles..
Austin will become divided... south or north of the river, and whatever side your work is, you best live up there IMHO
Harsh but true methinks
Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin