U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM

8 posts, read 29,357 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and have been reading the threads for a couple weeks and boy am I overwhelmed more now then I was! I live in Killeen and and we are planning on moving in August due to my husbands job, I liked and Hutto and RR and had made up my mind to move to Hutto.....But I am seeing so much slamming on Hutto. Bad schools, sex offenders, slums, high water bills, racism etc. I am caucasion and my husband is European, most people assume automatically he is Mexican since he has olive skintone. I hope there is no racism the way some are saying. He does drive a truck it that helps him fit in I read yesturday online about HuttoParke and the expansive soil and the problems with Lennar. I was sick to my stomach from my nerves lastnight just reading and worrying about moving and all the negativity. The schools are THE MOST IMPORTANT TO US. We have 2 boys one going in Kindergarten and the other one going in 3 grade. My older son is an Honor student and it would crush me to see his grades drop and for either one of them to be unhappy in school.

I know I can't just go by 1 or 2 comments on a forum but I am a worry wart and am nervous about all this We have deceided to rent for 1 year first that way we are not stuck if we deceide to move. It gives us the opportunity to have our children attend the schools and see for ourselves. How hard is it to get a job in the elementary schools in Hutto, I am interested in becoming a part of the HISD family. I visited Hutto a few times, matter a fact just 2 weeks ago and I did not see ANY slums, most of the yards are all well kept and clean. I like it being small and it seems as if everyone knows everyone. I didnt see anything I didnt like. Any suggestions on the schools, neighborhoods, any more advice? Clarks Crossing good or bad? Any bad property managment companies to look out for?
Thank you all in advance, any anwsers appreciated

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 12:51 AM

9,243 posts, read 23,402,659 times
I live in Hutto. I've lived here for about 4 yrs. My sister lives here as well, closer to 10 yrs. for her, including her little stint in RR. We both have daughters going into kindergarden here, although they will attend different elementary schools. I think a lot of the people who slam Hutto are people who have never even set foot here, or set foot in it a long, long time ago when it was just a little one stoplight town in the middle of a cornfield. Make your own opinion or really only listen to those who have CURRENT information.

Schools: My daughter hasn't really started here yet. She will in August so I'll know more personally. Living here and talking to parents who DO have kids in several age ranges, I haven't heard anyone say anything bad enough to make me stay away. This district is rated recognized, which is fine to me. Sometimes you may hear about a fight at the high school, but please tell me ONE school where this NEVER has happened. At the Kindergarden Round Up, I got to do the little tour of school and really liked the one my daughter will go to. The teachers were super nice also and great about answering all of our questions. There are some homeschoolers out here, as well as those that prefer sending their kids to private school but all I've talked with like the schools, teachers and parental involvement. There are 5 elementary schools, soon to be 2 middle schools, and one High school with plans for a 2nd. The distict is always looking to hire new teachers and recently upped their teachers salaries. My neighbor who is a teacher considered going to work here, but currently is enjoying being a SAHM, so isn't in any hurry.

Hutto is too small to have slums. You are spot on when you say you didn't see any. They don't exist here, and if you heard they did, you probably read it from a post by someone who hasn't ventured East of 35 yet. Most of the homeowners around here like doing yard work and keep things up. HOA's and Code enforcement stay on top of those who don't.

People that live here also love the everyone knows everyone vibe. There's a tight community here and people are always stepping up to help people in need, etc...We work hard to try and maintain that vibe, even as this town grows as fast as it is right now.

Right about Lennar and Hutto Parke. Out here, Lennar was the only builder having foundation issues. My sister lives in a Lennar, however, and never had issues. There are plenty of other builders out here who build better foundations and are more informative however, so that should actually be a minor issue.

Rascism? Funny, considering we have a black mayor who was just re-elected to a second term and we have a few hispanics on our city council as well. Your husband will have absolutely no problems as far as that out here. Doesn't matter what you drive out here either. People drive cars, minivans, SUV's, hybrids, motorcycles....

Water bills. I guess this could be true, but honestly, we haven't been bankrupted by them or anything. My husband told me that the reason they are currently high is that we got into a new water contract and ended up with more water than the city needed, so they had to raise prices to cover it.

Sex offenders. They live all over Austin, so there's really no hiding from them. The ones here have to be registered. There is a website that lists them. You will have no problem finding them either. People will tell you where they are. They can be protective of kids out here. I personally have had no problems.

Many of the neighborhoods around here are just fine. I would be wary of Hutto Parke simply due to their issues right now. Legends of Hutto is usually alright, but there have been some issues with riff raff this summer ( vandalism, grafitti) My sister lives in that neighborhood and hasn't had any problems, but I know some of the moms in our playgroup that live there and they have had some issues. Any other neighborhood, I say go for it. There's lots for kids to do around here to keep them busy. There's a lot thats going on here as far as new business and developments are concerned and it's shaping up pretty nicely so far.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:40 AM

183 posts, read 617,155 times
I personally would not move to Hutto. We looked there a few years ago when we moved here and just didn't like the "feel" of it. I can't really tell you why, it was just the feeling I got.

We chose RR and have been very pleased with the schools, my son in in 2nd grade has been to 2 elementary schools in RR and we have loved both. I know that RRISD is always looking for teachers, in fact the new elementary school that opens this fall and that my son will be going to next year was looking for teachers up until very recently.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 07-12-2008, 10:08 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,332,775 times
Nothing wrong with Hutto. I've been in Pflugerville for 12 years and watched both grow up. Hutto is a fine place to raise a family with reasonably priced homes.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,474 times
Wink Hutto

Hi, I have friends that I work with in Hutto. It's a nice place to live according to them. Only things that I can think of that you may not like is that it is growing leaps and bounds. Not sure if you want to live in the country or city. They also have a garbage dump not far from Hutto and there has been a lot of discussion about expanding it. So that's something you may want to do a google search about to see where they are with that.
As far as sex offenders..unfortunately they seem to be everywhere! You can do a free search on the TX Dept of Public Safety website and enter the map or a specific address to see where they may be. There is another site called Family Watch Dog (not sure if it's familywatchdog.net or org or com?) It's ran by Mr. Walsh (America's Most Wanted). You can also receive email updates when someone moves to your neighborhood or when one of those guys moves.
You mentioned that you wanted a good place to raise kids and good schools...have you tried Liberty Hill? This is where we currently live, it is getting larger and has excellent schools and nicer homes for the money. It still has that little town feel but close to highways and biways to get to where you need to go.
Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck on finding your place.
Txjen

Old 07-12-2008, 01:29 PM

9,243 posts, read 23,402,659 times
Oh, it's so pretty around Liberty Hill About the landfill, look up the Hutto Citizens Group. They have a website and it will tell you about some of the things we are fighting right now. Some of these things got planned before all the growth happened. I agree, we don't need to be the landfill for Killeen and Travis County. Let them keep their trash near where they live and don't dump it on us. (I don't mean that to be an affront to the citizens, it's the government and businesses that are doing it). It's still in court and it's being fought tooth and nail, believe me. The landfill is actually not located really close to town, but is back behind the water tower and those are the residents who will most be affected.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 PM

Love Roses,

I am so thankful for that long reply about Hutto! You have been alot of help. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:25 PM

Txjen,

Thank you for the reply! I will def check into the websites about the sex offenders as to find out which areas their located in. I'll check into Liberty Hill as well, you all have been great! Thanks again!

Old 07-13-2008, 12:27 PM

Happy Texan,

Cute name btw, Thank you for the reply everyone has been great here! I appreciate you taking the time to anwser my question, it has been very helpful.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 PM

springbean,

Thank you for the reply! That is my concern, moving to a town and then it not being what we had expected, therefore we have deceided to rent first and scope out the schools and communites. If Hutto does not work out for us then we will be heading to Round Rock. Thank you again for taking the time to reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin